Juon - The Grudge

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Andrew, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I just saw this for the first time and loved it, but was REALLY confused on a few parts.

Was Rika NOT killed when she was in the bed, with the mother looming over her and Toshio sitting at the edge? I figured they killed her there, but it seems not. And what about the last segment? Is that before Rika's segment at the beginning? If so, why, when she goes back during the first scene, does she not remember the house or Toshio? And what's with her realization of herself as the woman (when we see her look in the mirror, then she sees her face everywhere)? I really didn't get that part. Also, how do Izumi (as a teenager) and Yuuji see each other? Is there some time portal in the house? And why does the story skip up 10 or so years (when Izumi is a teenager), but they're just announcing the death of Rika on the news? I'm thoroughly baffled.

Regardless of all these confusions, I thought it was a fantastically creepy movie. 9/10 for me. Any interpretations or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Come on. Anybody?

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Eh, I felt bad that nobody replied. I'm quite interested in this movie, though. Any word on a US release?

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I felt the same way about it, and I am as confused as you are with a lot of it!!

5. Wermode

Wermode New Member

I picked this up awhile ago, watched it, and was entertained--but not exactly enthused (not the film's fault; my expectations were too high). I'll go back and watch it again, and will probably like it a lot.

Anyway, I don't remember it as being linear...I remember the story overlapping time from episode to episode, but changing in point of view/protagonist. maybe that explains the inconsistencies? I'll watch it again this weekend.

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yeah, it's definitely non-linerar, but the end points didn't seem to match up to me.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Oh brother.

I waited a long long time to see this, as different versions came and went. Finally I saw the R1 version with all the extras, and got it. Last night was my first go through.

As most of you are probably aware, I love asian cinema (the last one I watched was The Isle, I wrote a review for that). Just about the only asian film I really didn't like was "The Eye", which borrowed ar too much from US mainstream horror films, and therefore lost its identity.

And so on to "Ju On". I sat, I watched, and I found the SECOND Asian film that left me equal measures of bored and/or laughing. Ju on 2? I should coco.

None, NONE of the scares worked. By the four of fifth time I heard a "Sharp intake of breath", I was able to predict them and get in first. Walking out of room (intake of breath), seeing man (intake of breath), climb the stairs (intake of breath). Shockingly bad.

I never cared about any of the (mostly cute) characters, and that shadow thing was some of the worst FX to have been put into a modern film. My wife watched this with me, and while she wouldn't be so scathing, we both agreed it's not something we'd want to revisit. The Ghosts here were just lame - I wasn't at all frightened by clown boy :D

How about when the guy finds his wife on the bed, goes to call the police because she's obviously in distress, but then hears a noise and puts the phone away so he can investigate?!?!?!?!?

Oh well, the horrors of this film go on and on. It just didn't work at all. I'm going to place this on the shelf next to "The Eye", they both are pretty bad - though for different reasons.

But wait! Unbelievably they have included a laughter track on the R1! Oh, sure, they don't call it that, they called it an "English track" - but trust me, it's a laugh riot. I thought terrible dubbing was a thing left in 70's Italy - not so folks. If you have not yet enjoyed the English track, give it a go - it's so funny I nearly fell out of my chair. SURFER DUDE!

Oh well, the hype around this one is huge, much like the Eye. I am going to have to dig a lot deeper to fathom why I enjoy most every Asian film I've seen (Ringu, Dark Water, Nightmare, The Isle, Freeze Me etc.) but not these two. For the The Eye, it was quite obvious, but for this one? I need to dig. I hated it.

ps: I do appreciate that released a feature packed disc.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I agree with dwatts' observations. I usually enjoy Asian horror flicks but for some reason I just didn't like Ju-On at all. I didn't find the scares effective, I was mostly bored while watching it, the plot seemed very contrived, and the characters annoyed me to death.

I viewed the Hollywood remake afterwards, and didn't care much for that either. The little kid was just too cute looking to be even remotely creepy or scary, it was more of a laugh riot to watch those scenes.

9. Noto

Noto Guest

Interesting, I think that The Eye was one of the best Asian films I have seen. I really liked Ju-On: The Grudge as well. I think it was the way the film was shot though. It all seemed very real, which added to the ambiance. The Eye was derivative of Sixth Sense and similar films, but it was a lot better made, and with interesting characters. It isn't as much of a one-trick pony as most American films. Ju-On didn't have a gret script or anything, but I thought that the characters acted real for the most part, and really looked scared.

I would love to see the Japanese sequels to these films, and in Ju-On's case, the prequels. I hope they get released in R1 soon.

The American Grudge... a lot to be desired, But I will be willing to see the extended version.

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I enjoyed Ju-On: The Grudge and Loved The Eye. Ju-on I thought started off pretty bad but then the creepiness just kept elevating until an even creepier finally. The Eye I thought was great. Maybe even up there among my favourites of Asian films. It had a nice story likable characters and great scares not to mention a great apocalyptic ending. What else would you want. Sure it lent from film such as Sixth Sense but what film doesn't borrow from previous films. Anyway that's My Opinion.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'd REALLY suggest you guys look into Ju-On 2: The Curse. It's slightly more sensical than the first one, but with some really creepy bits (although if you're tired of the somewhat cliched Asian ghost/girl thing, you may not be as entertained).

I kinda view Ju-On as a "greatest hits" package, which is why it's not in the upper echelon of Asian horror for me. Most Asian flicks do it with atmosphere, leading to the climactic end horror scene (I.E., Sadako coming out of the TV), but Ju-On strings together a series of those types of end scenes without nearly as much build-up.

Still, I'd rather watch it than most of the chum that's spewing forth from US filmmakers.

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Although I really liked Ju-On, I agree with Paff that Ju-On 2: The Curse is more effective. Of course, I wouldn't recommend it to dwatts, but it may be worth checking out for everyone else. The story is a bit more linear and some of the best scares come from "tying up" and explaining a series of hauntings. I thought it was quite good with some geniune scary moments.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I also bought the remake, and for once I very much look forward to watching it. I doubt that, for me, it could be any worse that Ju-On. Paff: You seriously think it's still worth my while giving Ju-on 2 a go? I have avoided "The Eye 2", but if someone thinks Ju-on 2 is truly a step up, I'd at least give it a try.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh, without a doubt...give it a go. Now, I LIKED Ju-On, but the sequel is definitely better. Some really good scenes there.

15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

In case anyone cares, and lives in Canada, Ju On: The Grudge is on at 9p.m. E.S.T. tonight on M-XS (The Movie Network). in case you haven't seen it yet. :)

I think that I liked Ju On: The Curse better than Ju On:The Grudge actually. I found that the scares worked better even though they had a smaller budget...i could feel the fear from the actors better (and they didn't over-act as much) and it just felt more....real. Some of the supposedly scarey scenes actually didn't work for me in JO:TG, seemed kind of hokey...the same similar scenes that worked quite well in both The Curse and the American version.
    I have both The Curse 2 and The Grudge 2 but haven't gotten around to watching them yet...but so far, my favourite between the American re-make, Ju On: The Grudge, and The Curse would have to be The Curse for actual atmosphere and causing me to feel the creeps(and Chiaki Kuriyama's in it).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  16. Franco

Franco Weekender

Hey, anybody ... what's that sound and the actors doing like their head hurts in some parts of the movie? :eek:

17. Franco

Franco Weekender

A shot of that part just in case you don't remember very well ...

[​IMG]

18. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Sorry Franco, but what are you asking about? I can't quite figure it out.

19. Franco

Franco Weekender

Nevermind.