JUST BEFORE DAWN coming on DVD!!!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by ArrowBeach, Dec 29, 2004.

1. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

let's just hope there isn't another street date change...those are so annoying.

2. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Then your in for a real treat!! I think you'll enjoy this much. It's a pretty well done flick.

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

is there any dvd reviews listed yet?

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--I'm sorry, I'm apparently out of the loop? What did they fuck up on the Zombi 2 release? I have that and the Blue underground and have only watched my Blue Underground release.--

I believe it is not correctly tagged for viewing on 4:3 TV's. I only have widescreen, so noticed nothing wrong.

5. Stige

Stige Active Member

zombie 2 was stellar
    just a lot of american flicks that have crappy transfers
    majorettes, blood sister, hell high, and then there are the italian screw ups, slaughter hotel etc

heres hoping just before dawn is like zombie 2 and not those others

anyhow

still have it pre ordered

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I found the 2 disk SE of Just Before Dawn out early at Best Buy today and picked it up for $14.99.

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Sweet! Be sure to report back about the quality of the DVD once you've watched it. I do have this preordered, but I'll never completely trust SS.

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Yeah man no problem. I forgot to mention that it comes in one of those funky slipcase sleeves like the ones their Zombi 2 SE's were in.

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Good to hear. This is the only thing I ordered that is coming out on Tuesday that hasn't been mailed out yet, so I was worried it might be cancelled or something.

Let us know about quality when you watch it why don't you?

10. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Sure will. ;) I will tell you that I've never seen this one before and I can't tell you if it is cut or not but as far as the picture, I'll be honest and sincere.

11. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Just picked my copy up early at Best Buy last night. Very surprised they had it out early as they hardly ever break street date, let alone have rare titles in at all around the date their supposed to be released. Watched about a half hour of it while listening to the commentary track. Very good picture quality so far from what I saw. I got a little worried during the opeining title sequence as it looked like the print was somewhat scratchy, but then it improved. Lieberman's commentary is on par with his others very informative and entertaining.

12. MrKateB

I, too, found it at the local Best Buy yesterday, which was a real pants-shitter considering the kind of luck I've been having finding stuff around this dump even AFTER street date. The opening credits sequence WAS kind of scratchy--to the point where I had to skip through the chapters just to make sure it got better...It DOES get better, and looks pretty damned good actually...Will need to sit down and watch in it's entirety by the weekend.

The special features, well, they are there. There is a rather lengthy "making of" docko that covers pretty much all angles of the film, which was totally cool...I DID watch that from beginning to end. I was really sad to see that neither Gregg Henry or Deborah Benson were in it, would have been nice to see what they're up to these days...Jamie Rose looks amazing, and she has a very cool sense of humor that comes through in her interview. Lots of anecdotes and pictures included, and living approx. an hour-hour and 1/2 away from where they shot the movie, it was especially cool for me.

Several trailers for the film and a nice little picture gallery round out the extras, which although not EXTENSIVE, for a movie like this I'm amazed that they put together what they did. I'm totally stoked and very satisfied...Also, there are some bonus galleries for other films, so it was well worth it all around.

YAY!

13. SteveG

SteveG New Member

That's good to hear about disc 2, as I didn't even pop it in to see what it had. Looking forward to the documentary. I guess I can officially pitch my DVD-R from VHS rip I have of this movie. Just want to make sure it is fully uncut first.

14. MrKateB

OH! Well, that was actually one main point I forgot to mention in my previous post--having both the original Paragon Video VHS, and the horribly transferred DVD version that was included with three other films put out earlier this year/last year--although I have not watched the film from beginning to end, I remember that the previous DVD version was missing virtually the entire waterfall sequence, one of the film's scariest scenes...This version contains that sequence in its entirety. The film's first murder scene seemed a little chopped, but only in the way that the sound was edited, and I am not sure if this is identical to the original release or not. BUT, knowing the waterfall sequence is contained on this one leads me to believe that it's the real deal. Since the movie's murder scenes were never TOO graphic, if they're chopped by a few seconds I personally don't care, but I was gonna barf if this version omitted the whole waterfall thing too, and I'm so f-ing happy to report that it is present.

15. Stige

Stige Active Member

maybe I will keep my paragon tape for the time being , until my version arrives in the mail and i get to check
    suppose i could make a composite uncut dvd rip if it is not totally uncut , but realy want to not have to do that

16. SteveG

SteveG New Member

That's good news, didn't get up to the waterfall sequence last night, and I too have the shitty 4 movie disc that omits this scene. (LAME) Anyway I'm sure it's intact if this scene is included. I also thought there was something odd about the first murder, either shortened or maybe just the sound made it seem so. Anyway looks like ShrieK Show didn't screw this up.

17. MrKateB

"suppose i could make a composite uncut dvd rip if it is not totally uncut , but realy want to not have to do that"

do those turn out well? Just curious...I just got a laptop through work that has a dvd burner, but since I don't really know too much about that whole deal anymore I am curious to know what all goes into that before I start investing in software/equipment etc. I've got a lot of old VHS that I really don't think will ever see the light of day on DVD...Don't really want to get off topic too much, just a question.

18. Stige

Stige Active Member

I have a sony GX3 tabletop burner that you can do lots with on dvd-rw, cut and paste , delete and insert, change chapter order, retouch the image and so on. If you have the patience to learn it , it works well

off topic I know but like I said this will be done if it turns out to be cut

19. MrKateB

Coolness! Thank you!! There's so much stuff out there it's hard to know what works and what doesn't....

20. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Actually a dvd recorder is probably the way to go to VHS stuff, at least that's what I did. Capturing throught the PC is a pain, and sooo time consuming, however yields more editing options. But if you go the DVD recorder route it's pretty quick and easy, and let's face it, if your like most of us and really like the film, you'll buy it when it gets an official release. At least that's how I see it.