JUST BEFORE DAWN coming on DVD!!!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by ArrowBeach, Dec 29, 2004.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

ysterday i went to the first best buy and they said they only got 2 copies so i waited and they could not find it anywhere i was very pissed so i had them call the second best buy and they got 3 copies and i had them hold a copy so when i got there i had purchased this dvd

2. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

Hopefully my bestbuy will have a copy

3. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

In my shitty little town, it's at Best Buy, and at Suncoast, the only two places I've been to this week. Perhaps it's an Oregon thing this time around, because usually I'm the one that can't find anything everyone else on this board gets first day out of the chute. Sorry to hear people aren't finding this one. :(

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thanks for the heads-up!!! I had it pre-ordered on Amazon to ship with my THIN MAN COLLECTION in a week or two, but DDD's price is $2 cheaper and it's not on backorder--Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! I've been looking forward to this one for a while and would have been gravely disappointed if there wasn't a copy left for me next month!

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I just got notice that mine mailed from DDD so thank goodness it is on its way. I was worried that something had gone horribly wrong. With SS, you just never really know.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Currently under construction

Media Blasters site has been down for a while. Maybe they are working on their yearly update (including speling errors and incorrect info and all). http://www.media-blasters.com/

7. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Went to Best Buy on Tuesday to pick it up and it was nowhere to be found. I even checked Sci Fi and Action, to no avail. I asked the young, green employee to check if they had it in stock and he insisted on looking through the horror section first, even though I had checked it thoroughly. OK, fair enough, I'll let him do his thing, I thought. "Just Before Dawn, right?" He confirmed for about the fourth time. "Right", I said (for about the fourth time). I showed him the "J" section. "See, it's not here," I told him. I gave a nod toward the computer terminal so we could get down to business. To no avail. After several minutes of searching for what I knew wasn't there, he pulls a movie from the shelf and looks hopeful and hands me...From Dusk Till Dawn. "Is that it?" "No," I replied. "What's it called again?," He asked sheepishly. "Just Before Dawn", I confirmed for about the fifth time. "Oh, it's one of the sequels?," referring to the From Dusk Till Dawn DVD he was still holding. I took a deep breath. I said, "Could you just check in the back, for the motherfucker?" (except I didn't say "motherfucker" I said "DVD"). He scanned the horror section for one last time until he slowly made his way to a computer terminal. He looked at me confused. "From Dusk...???" -- "Just Before Dawn," I said for about the sixth time. "Ahhh," he said. "I'll be right back." twenty minutes later he came back with two copies of From Dusk...errr, Just Before Dawn.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

No problemo! :)

Mine shipped earlier today too! SS gives me more worries than just about any DVD company besides Universal.

9. MrKateB

JEEEEEZUS.....

10. All I saw was a 1 disc edition and it didn't mention anything about being uncut, though it was from Shriek Show.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Anybody who's seen it wanna comment on the picture quality ?I wanna pick it up this weekend.
    I'm glad they got Lieberman on board for the release,he did a very informative comm. track on SQUIRM.

12. MrKateB

I haven't seen the whole thing straight through, but I watched the opening sequence, then skipped to a couple of spots...The opening credits sequence looks a little scratchy, but the actual movie looks good. I think it's better than any vhs recording I've seen, and the whole thing is light years better than the previous disc release (with three other titles on one disc)

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Well, it was a budget release that wasn't even supposed to have the 1981 movie on there! :evil:

14. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

After going to 2 different BB stores, I can safely and assuredly say everyone working there has their head so far up their ass they need a glass navel to check for titles. That said, I finally got a copy after sending an employee to the back to retrieve it. Anywho, watched it the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a cool little slasher flick. Death scenes could have been a bit gorier and not so off-camera, but its cool. I liked the atmosphere and the acting was better than I expected. I also liked seeing George Kennedy in there. He adds a touch of class to the production. Decent job overall by MB for their DVD presentation. Transfer was fairly grainy, but I kind of expected it. Overall I'm satisfied.

15. MrKateB

Yes...that's true...shouldn't be too hard on it...after all, had the SS release not come along, that may have been the only way to see the film on DVD.

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I tried to watch this late last nite / early this morning and the movie itself is pretty damn good though it drags scene wise about midway through. The opening credits were scratchy and particles and lines can be seen. The dark lit areas looks somewhat grainy but when its bright it has a almost blurring effect on brightly lit objects like leaves. There were a few choppy parts during my sitting where something jumped forward a few frames. I will say this, during the part where the brother is taking pictures of the brothers girlfriend (it may be the layer change) the DVD went to hell as it paused and skipped to the point of it not even reading the disk. I used my PS2 to view this movie and stuff like this has happened in the past to other DVDs so I don't believe it is a disk defect but that I used a shitty player to watch it on. I'll have to use my living room player to finish watching this one. I didn't even bother watching the second disk as I was disgusted with not being able to finish off the movie and it was very late.

17. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

The picture quality is decent.

Pros:
    Colors are solid. Night time scenes are clear, and grain is kept to a minimum. It's widescreen and anamorphic. Artifacting is kept to a minimum also.

Cons:
    Some scenes appear to be choppy. The overall image is soft with a hint of haze. The print used does have some scratches and marks etc.

Could have been a little better. Certainly not AB standards, but still it was good. The paragon tape might have been a little brighter though.

I give it 3/5 stars for the video.

18. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Just ordered this sucker today from DDD. Looking forward to checking it out.

19. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

:hum:
    Surely you don't mean the DVD was harder to see than the old VHS?

20. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

What I was saying was the DVD had haze and a soft look to it, and when things moved, it looked like the image was creating a ghosting effect. The VHS tape didn't have that.

Of course the DVD has an overall sharper image with minimal grain.