JUST BEFORE DAWN coming on DVD!!!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by ArrowBeach, Dec 29, 2004.

1. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Mine hasn't come in yet.I was really hoping for a good picture if nothing else.

2. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

You should be pleased with it, just don't expect AB quality transfer. If you have a widescreen tv, with componet outputs, most of the haze etc is cleaned up, but if you have a 4x3 tv with s-video, on mine it had the haze, soft look etc.

It's a good transfer overall, just not as good as I expected.

3. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I finished up watching the movie in my living room player today and yep it was my PS2 acting shitty as I thought. The picture looked darker on the living room tv though so I had to turn the brightness level up to see the remaining night time scenes. The movie was pretty damn entertaining even intentionally funny. Especially in the scene where
    the scarred girlfriend kept saying that her friends were dead and they were killed and the boyfriend calmly saying "Don't say that" or "Stop it" over and over again. The part where the brother got stabbed by the "demon" and the bother's girlfriend falls to the ground saying something like "cut it out" or "quit it" with hardly any reaction of horror was hilarious.
    I was hoping for more gore but as it is, its a nice little slasher flick. I still didn't get around to watching the extras yet.

4. Does anyone know if it really is uncut and is 2 discs? I still can't find the 2 disc one. Only one I find doesn't say if it's uncut and mentions it being Rated R.

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I am not sure if it is for sure uncut because this is the first time I've seen it but it is definately 2 discs.
    The video wasn't too bad but like someone said don't expect an AB quality transfer. Could have been better but I am happy to finally see this.

6. Bad_Ronald_1983

As stated, it is indeed 2-discs. The first disc is just the movie. The second disc is the extras. A lot of trailers for other shriek show movies, mostly a waste of space. The photo gallery was decent. The theatrical trailers were pretty good, the first theatrical trailer is the one that was used on the previews of a lot of paragon video tapes, the second one looked like the ones used in theaters. Finally the biggest extra is cast and crew interviews. Long and informative, not too bad.

As far as being uncut, for the most part it is. Looked to be on par with the Paragon tape as far as gore is concerned. The first kill did look a little cut though.

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the picture info guys,guess I'll be picking it up !

8. SteveG

SteveG New Member

9. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Cool, glad to hear that. By the way, Bad Ronald is one of my alltime favorite made for TV movies! I'd love to see that again as it's been many years since I saw this great underrated TV movie.

10. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Is that the one with the kid living in the bathroom that his mother boarded up after he murders someone?

11. Bad_Ronald_1983

Awesome! I'm glad there are some other 'Bad Ronald' fans here too. I love that movie. I wish it would get released on DVD, along with a lot of other great made for tv horror movies.

And SteveG, you are correct in what the movie is about. He is boarded up in the bathroom and hides out for awhile until the end, which is awesome!

12. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Sad to say the opening murder is cut by a second or two. In the uncut version the guy gulps for air three times after we see the machete come through him. After the third 'gulp' we see his hand kind of grabbing at the bloody machete and hear him screaming. The shriek show disc cuts from the first 'gulp' to the scream.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: BLASPHEMY!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

............................no I'm good with it, really. ;)

14. In Bad Ronald, I think he was living in a hidden room his mother built for him. But she died, without Ronald knowing and Ronald was left there by himself. Then, a new family eventually buys the house and Ronald comes out. This is just from memory, I'd love to see Bad Ronald myself. And thanks for the JBD info.

15. onebyone

onebyone Guest

From the Director of Squirm

Shouldn't this be in Slashers?

At any rate, I just finished it and I am just so happy to see it again and in DVD quality too. I have a disc of extras to go too! I just find that delightful as I was expecting this one to get a barebones release at best. The transfer on the DVD isn't flawless, but it is a hell of a lot better than my old VHS that died on me years ago. Since I have only seen it look like pure hell, I wasn't really expecting a better transfer so I can't complain. I have no idea if it was cut, as I haven't been able to watch it so I don't remember every single second of gore. If they cut the movie it is unfortunate and a bad move, but it didn't pull me out of the movie or anything.

I really love this movie. I think it is unique in the slasher genre in that it succeeds not so much in gore and nudity (not that there's anything wrong with that) but with atmosphere and just general eeriness. The director did a great job in making the woods seem almost like a haunted house with the music, the shadows, the lights, et cetera. I just think it really works. Also, the entire scene where
    the killer is blowing the whistle in the woods as the girl is sitting by the fire and then comes out of the woods and blows it in her face
    never fails to really scare me.

So, in summary, love this movie. I can't wait to check out the extras. I am sure they won't disappoint. The fact that there are any at all shocks and pleases the hell out of me.

16. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

It's true...the disc is reportedly cut. :( A guy over at the Hysteria board compared the old Paragon tape and the new DVD. Here's what he found...

"I watched the film and all the extras and compared it to the paragon tape. The first murder scene is in fact cut but only by 2 seconds. The problem is it's at the most graphic part while the machete is sticking out of "vachels" backside and he's grabbing unto it. The dvd cuts right to the part where he screams whereas the paragon tape holds a couple seconds before he screams. Ok, I had some time on my hands!

I cued up both the vhs and dvd at the same exact points and overall the paragon tape runs 16 seconds longer than the dvd. I didn't notice any other cuts in the other murder and dialogue scenes which lead me to believe the cuts are probably in the transition shots."

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Was really looking forward to this, but after reading these posts and negative reviews of the DVD I now have mixed emotions. :(

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Besides being cut, which is bad but we don't know why it was done, the DVD is a huge improvement from the VHS. Some scenes involving noises in the dark are so much more effective because you can actually see nuances of color in the dark and not just...blurry dark dark like before. I just can't be moved to complain about this disc.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Well, this is Shriek Show we're talking about here...I kinda figured it would be cut since they usually seem to manage that somehow. Luckily, it doesn't sound like the cuts are that bad.

20. Stige

Stige Active Member

guess I will see when I get it, and can't throw away my paragon tape after all *sigh*
    deleted "girls nite out" from my want list (another shriek show release) sometimes sticking with my own remastered dvd-r's from my VHS collection seems good enough

one more question, have they just matted down the image from VHS? This went to theaters so it was in widescreen at some point. Don't know if the paragon tape was open mat or pan and scan. Anyone know any details?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005