JUST BEFORE DAWN coming on DVD!!!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by ArrowBeach, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nah, you won't really even notice what's cut. I'm just glad it isn't missing 5 or 10 full minutes like the Hell High and Warlock Moon discs! You'll probably be more annoyed by how bad the print looks that they used. It looks like no remastering was done, the colors are faded, some print damage, etc. The original negative is perhaps lost, but I would think some remastering could have been done on the print that SS used for the transfer.

2. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

ya i was really suprised how ugly the print on the dvd was. while it's very watchable, it's definitely not what i was expecting. the picture is filled with lines and scratches and debris. the opening murder is cut but u still see the gore, i think it's just the dude gasping that is cut out, so no big deal

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I've said this before about TCM and EVIL DEAD, but I kind of like it when the print is all dirty and scratched. Not TOO much, of course, but just enough to show its age. I suppose it reminds me of when I first saw these movies on old dirty VHS tapes or on local TV as a kid. When they polish them up entirely, I think it loses a little of its low budget charm. That's just me though. I'm very happy with my JUST BEFORE DAWN DVD.

4. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Thanks all. I will keep it and watch it. $14.99 for 2 dvds. Its all good. Thanks again all!

5. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Saw it last night. I felt that the transfer was not so bad. Still better then VHS. Never did notice any fading or brightness/contrast failure or anything that would annoy me. Over-all I enjoyed this movie. It was fun to see.

I can tell this was a cut of the original b/c I watched the commentaries w/ the composter & director.

:(

But still say it was worth my 15 bucks!!

6. Big Bobby D

Big Bobby D Guest

After reading through this and another thread about the movie I decided to go ahead and get it. I got it at Hastings Thursday for $14.99, and I thought that it was pretty good for a "blind" buy. I'm not used to seeing non-gory slasher movies though! And of course, Shriek Show fucked up the dvd, cutting a few seconds out of the first kill (which is pretty cool) and during the commentary the audio starts going out of sync and it's annoying because you can still hear some of the dialogue when the director is commenting. And lastly the stills gallery didn't work on my copy. But I guess it's not a big deal because out of all the pics I saw they all looked like screen captures from the movie, so it doesn't look like I was missing anything anyways. But if you can find the movie fairly cheap I'd say go for it, plus the 66 minute interview documentary was pretty cool too.

7. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Bought this and checked this out tonight... absolutely loved it. One of the better slasher pics out there I'd say... even if very little blood.. :) It was just really different and the music was really well done, fit the movie perfectly. The transfer was not that great but I didn't give a shit. Still a wicked movie. And that 66 minute interview thing was really interesting, and funny at times. I'm happy. :)

8. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I spoke to someone from Shriek Show during the Chiller Theatre and they said there is a possibility (MAYBE) of an upgraded, UNCUT version of JBD that may come out in the future. for those who already bought it, you would mail back your copy and they would send you the new UNCUT version. don't hold me to this, but that is what i was told. I for one am not holding my breath....

9. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

10. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

http://fanedit.org/365/

This edition seems like the CUT to go for. Considering the SS disc is cut in small places throughout, including the opening murder.

Thoughts?

11. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I downloaded this (huge fan of Fanedit.Org) but I haven't watched it yet. I took a gander at some of the scenes and they're definitely VHS quality. But, it could be that I was just watching scenes sourced from the VHS.

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Well I was looking around this site for a good slasher flick for halloween that I havent seen yet and happened upon this thread- figured I would give it a try and put it in my netflix queue to ship to me tommorrow- hope I made a good choice<: I was going to try to rent Hell Night which I have never seen but netflix does not appear to have it

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Wanted to thank those of you that recommended this movie- I was surprised at how good it really was and really enjoyed it. In fact I was surprised I had never heard of this movie before - anyways I thought it was a solid movie overall.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Damn, and here I was hoping that someone had taken the DVD transfer of Happy Birthday to Me and the audio tracks from the VHS or laserdisc and fused them together to make a good quality version of the original theatrical cut.

~Matt

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

And oh goody, just found exactly what I was looking for on ioffer! Sweet tits!

~Matt

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Saw this for the first time last night and loved it. Even though there is relatively little blood, this is one brutal slasher movie. People don't drop after being stabbed, they suffer and you hear them slowly die. The actors also helped out a lot, bringing a reality to their cliched characters.

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Listening to an interview with Lieberman.

The insert shot at the end of the movie of the fist going into the mouth was done after the fact in Jeff Lieberman's backyard in New York. But do you know who played Connie's fist double?

Susie Essman from Curb Your Enthusiasm:

[​IMG]