Just saw Battle Royale........

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by KillerCannabis, Mar 27, 2002.

1. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Shit...i knew i should have looked into this further...im sure if its a success it will be released with subtitles, then im gonna have to buy the disc for a second time!! DOH

2. Luna

Luna Guest

Dammit!

Argh!! Mine is a Sony DVP-S530D... is there no hope for me? *sob*

:mad:

I'd really like to watch my italian R2 Nonhosonno on my TV, rather than on my monitor. :(

3. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Hey Evil Disco......

So you're telling me then that all I have to do to have a region-free player is turn it into standby mode and punch in a few codes and thats it? If thats the case I'd be all too happy. And thanks a lot for posting that info. for me. I'm going to give it a try right now.

4. Luna

Luna Guest

Re: Hey Evil Disco......

Please let me know if this worked for you - I see your model is actually listed there. I have a Sony DVP-S530D as I said in the above post and tried everything last night. Nothing worked. I started to wonder if I was doing something wrong, but perhaps this only applies to already modded DVD players? I noticed it said "The DVD Upgrade is an advanced modification...". This would imply that there had been a previous modification of some kind. I would think this would be the case anyway, as it didn't work on mine. Mine isn't listed there, but I followed one of the links and it said the hack for the 530 is the same as the 535.

Ah, hell. I just wanna watch region 2 DVDs... is that so wrong? :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2002
  5. KillerCannabis

It didnt work for me so I assume what you did........that I need to have my player modded first, then do that stuff after.

6. Yeah sorry, it was the only thing I could find on the subject. It's well known that the majority of Sony machines don't have remote hacks because basically they don't want you to have that option. The only way is to get it modded, not too expensive if you can find someone close by to do it...

7. Maupin

Maupin Guest

I haven't seen the HK disc, but I own the Japanese region 2 disc and the picture quality is very nice. In fact I doubt it could be much better. But yes, there are no English subtitles.

8. Luna

Luna Guest

Yeah, s'ok. I think what I'll probably do is buy a cheapo DVD player that does have a remote hack so I don't have to get someone to open up (and possibly screw up) the player that cost us hundreds of dollars. ;)

9. Luna

Luna Guest

FYI:

Today, I got an Apex AD-1200 player from CompUSA for $64.95 - I watched Nonhosonno (the italian R2 disc) on it. It looked beautiful except for a few times when it skipped a frame - not very often, but it was noticed. I figure I can handle a few skipped frames to watch non R1 discs! ;)

It also plays MP3s (kind of a frustrating menu system and STUPID naming system though, but they DO play so I can't complain THAT much), Sony PictureCDs (burned jpegs are shown in a slideshow or you can choose them in a thumbnail menu) and VCDs, both bought and burned ones on CD-R.

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a cheap, decent enough player to watch other regions on! :D

All you have to do is 8421, with the disc ejected, and you get to the menu where you can edit your region. 9 would be the best choice here. Hope this helps some people!

10. Nilbog

Nilbog Guest

You can also buy the Daewoo 5700 at Sam's Club for $99.It contains a secret menu that would allow you to make it region free and converts PAL to NTSC.it plays mp3,cdr,cdrw,and vcd.I've had mine for 4 months and I absolutely love it.

11. KillerCannabis

Hey Luna.......

Does that Apex player also convert PAL to NTSC? Because I may go to CompUSA today to pick one up. That's a cheap-ass price on it too.

12. Luna

Luna Guest

Re: Hey Luna.......

Yup, it does. I watched "Nonhosonno" (R2 Italian release, PAL) on mine with no problems whatsoever. Plays VCDs too. Possibly SVCD, but I haven't tried so I can't say for sure. :D

The one we were going to pick up originally was the Apex AD-3201 (which is also remote hackable, same hack!)... we wound up with the AD-1200 because they didn't have any of the other one in stock. We paid 64.95 instead of 49.95 (CompUSA had a rebate, dunno if it's still on), but we got the added ability to view jpgs, so I'm a happy camper. I have literally thousands of old and new scanned-in family pics on cd-r so it was of use to me. It makes a slideshow out of them, or you can choose from thumbnails. :D

One more thing about the AD-1200 and probably the 3201... there is a limit of either 200 jpgs or 200 mp3s that can be detected on one cd-r. There's a really dumb mp3 menu system, but I suppose you really get what you pay for and it DOES play mp3s so I don't care too much - I found that I'll have to change my naming system when I burn cd-rs. Also a bit of a pain in the ass is that the cd has to be totally mp3 or totally jpg. I have some burned cds of whole albums with pics of the cd covers. It detected those as jpg discs, I assume because the file extension jpg comes before mp3 alphabetically. It's stupid but I figured you might like to know. As long as you realize it, it's not too much of a problem.

However, if you're using it exclusively for region-free viewing, then who cares about those things anyway! Happy viewing! :D

13. Mortado

Mortado Guest

Note that this is not completely true. My R3 Universe "Battle Royale" DVD is definitely region 3 and will not play on R1 players. My friends is region 0 and plays on anything. The boxes are identical so there's really no way to tell them apart. Buyer beware :)

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I just bought a Daewoo 5700 off ebay. I figure for prices that cheap, it's time to see how it stacks up against my netstream 2000 decoder. Unfortunately, it cost me $110 shipped and it's open boxed (guaranteed to work and it's from a good seller). That's about as cheap as you can get it on ebay, though.

My local Sam's didn't have any. :mad: