Just watched Cemetery Man for the first time...

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by rp108, Jun 14, 2006.

1. rp108

rp108 Guest

Thought it was good but not great. I think a good amount of shots in the movie are beautiful and the acting is really good. I have heard comparisons to Dead Alive but I don't think it touches that movie. However, I think after multiple viewings it will grow on me like most Italian horror.

Anchor Bay did a really good job only certain scenes there are noticable grain but not terribly distracting like City of the Living Dead. Other than that the movie looks fantastic. Overall glad w/ the purchase.

Thoughts?

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

It's a good film, with some fine moments. However, it's not the classic many seem to believe, imo. I have not bothered upgrading my German disc of this, I just don't watch it enough. It's a difficult balance when they're making horror-comedies. To its credit, this one mostly gets it about right. The trouble is, as a horror fan, I didn't find it remotely scary. So it doesn't sit too well with me. As I say, good, but not truly great.

3. Glad you two said that about it not being a classic...I only like the movie, I'm not in love with it.

4. rp108

rp108 Guest

I am actually glad to hear you guys say it! I thought I was going to get flamed for not saying it was a classic.

5. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

Soavi has always been better with visuals than coherent storytelling..this one is no exception.It does start out strong in the first half or so...it's all over the map in the second.With that said,i still dig it.

6. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I consider it a classic. It's a beautiful film to behold, the acting is done quite well, and the dark humor works. I love the ending as well. That said, I sticking with my Medusa DVD of it.

7. rp108

rp108 Guest

Can someone give me their take on the same women playing three different roles and the ending,

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It'll grow on you, like it did most of us!

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I adore it. The best film to ever have anything to do with zombies IMO. Everett is absolutely wonderful. It makes me sad at how far his career has gone down the toilet. The zombies look magnificent as well (i.e. the motorcycle zombie), and the film's score is exceptionally moody. The locations are very beautiful too. I also have to mention how creepy that Grim Reaper looks. The scenes with the Reaper are very eerie and his voice very menacing.

The film is hilarious, yet utterly thought provoking at the same time. It's full of hidden meanings, a great metaphysical look at life, and the existence of things outside our own existence. There's a nice sense of irony underneath it all as well. What Soavi has created here is a fascinating work of pure horror art, and I think the film is flawless. Definitely Soavi's masterpiece.

I don't know why anyone would compare this to Dead-Alive. They're not even remotely similar to one another.

10. Pukenstein

Pukenstein New Member

I saw it a while back and thought it was ok. Not a classic imo. But maybe I need to watch it again.

11. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I saw it once, years ago. It didn't make much of an impression at the time--I might give it a re-watch now.

12. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

This movie wasn't really meant to be scary. Being Argento's apprentice, I'm sure Soavi could've gone that route if he really wanted to. The dark humor completely diffuses any creepy/scary scenes. It's hardly even a horror movie.

Yeah, you've got zombies and talking decapitated heads, but this film was really meant to be something more than shocks and thrills of a typical italian zombie movie. Soavi definitely steered clear from making another Fulci/Romero flick. It's more of a poetic, surrealistic art film than a normal horror movie designed to scare or shock, and if that's not your cup of tea, I can see why one would be disappointed.

Cemetary Man/Dellamorte Dellamore is one of the best films in any genre--not necessarily just horror. You probably don't even have to like horror films to enjoy this movie.

If you're looking for tons of gore, tons of scares, shocks and "edge of your seat" thrills, this probably would not appeal to you. If you like a poetic, surreal, wonderfully shot art film (with zombies), give it a try.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  13. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Very well put. I agree 100%

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, you'll have to trust me that I wasn't after " tons of gore, tons of scares, shocks and "edge of your seat" thrills" necessarily. It's just that i'm not a huge fan of horror-themed comedies. I am very familiar with Fulci, Argento, and yes - Soavi. One assumes that horror based theme was there for some reason, and Soavi does indulge himself once or twice. Hence I say it's a "good" movie, I didn't/don't hate it - I simply don't worship it.

It's a little unfair to state "It's more of a poetic, surrealistic art film than a normal horror movie designed to scare or shock, and if that's not your cup of tea, I can see why one would be disappointed". I have no issue with Surrealism, or art films. I just didn't think this was a great example. A good example perhaps, but not great. Obviously people should give it a try. To be honest, I just think it's taken this title a long time to reach R1 on DVD for some reason, and as one of the lacking titles, it's built up an unjustified reputation. I've had the R2 for years.

15. gore

gore Guest

Anyone find this at Best Buy for a purchase?

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

They had it out early last Friday at the BB here. I only saw one on the shelf however.

17. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Oh fine, I'll give this another viewing. The first time I rented it--in college, when it first hit for rental--my friends and I did not get into it. Now, I think I'll give it another go, because I am intrigued as to what I missed (probably had too much to drink while viewing and expected more scares).

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

SAME HERE I GOT IT ON DVD YESTERDAY AND RE WATCHED IT AND I LIKED ALOT MORE

19. I think you said it in a nutshell. I recently went through some turmoil in my life where all I can see or think about was my wife (kinda the way Dellamorte kept seeing "she"). It IS thought provoking.

I saw this during the U.S. limited theatrical run years ago...I was slightly disappointed upon the 1st viewing. It didn't help my local independant news guys compared it to Evil Dead and Dead Alive...so i went in expecting a crazy movie. But when my dear 'ol mom rented on video a year or so later, I appreciated it for what it is.

I got this one coming from the DDD sale, can't wait!

20. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I fucking love Dellamorte... I think it's an awesome amalgam of fantasy/horror/comedy with just the right hint of each. Anna Falchi alone is worth owning this film. It's got awesome FX work, great set design and spot-on performances from everyone in the cast. AB did a decent job on the DVD. Transfer could have been a bit better, but the 5.1 track is effective and well done.