Just watched Cemetery Man for the first time...

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by rp108, Jun 14, 2006.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Some people just want to hate anything that gets too much hype, no matter how great it is and no matter how foolish it makes them look.

It's the trendy thing to do! They post and then go to the mall and listen to pop radio on the way there. Once there they talk about how great Uwe Boll is and how only loser internet fans don't get him.

;)

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

But Boll is good, it's just that some people hate anything new and different, no matter how foolish it makes them look :lol:

Seriously, I think most people on this site have a mind of their own, and can truthfully say whether they like something or not. After all, in equal measure, admiration for a work can blind us to faults. I read a damn good review of Oldboy today (wish I'd bookmarked it), but basically, the guy hated it. He made some good points though, and after reading it it got me thinking that it's not a perfect film, not by a long chalk. Yet I enjoyed it in my own way.

It's always interesting to hear peoples views, especially so when they differ from own - you know?

3. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

blah, I rather be reminded how great and smart I am, like a CEO or something ;)

4. Big Bobby D

Big Bobby D Guest

I just watched Cemetary Man on dvd a couple of nights ago and thought that it was alright. For years I'd heard about it, being somewhat of an Italian masterpiece and when I saw it on the rental shelves at Hollywood Video I picked it up. For some reason, I was expecting it to be on the same level as Dead Alive (Brain Dead). But it's much more than that. Cemetary Man isn't an over the top gore film. Like others before me have said it's more of a thought provoking film that you probably will have to watch it a couple of times to really understand it and get into it. I have to say though, some scenes were beautifully shot and Soavi did a good job with the atmosphere. The acting was good (and "She" was amazing!) and so was the music. The only minor problem was the AB dvd itself. Some of the scenes were grainy and the soundtrack was in bad shape, or needed to be remastered or something. I guess we can't complain too much because it is a low budget 13 year old movie that came to us from another country. I read, I believe on the dvd itself that not too many prints of the film were made so that's probably why the picture isn't as great as we expect it to be, especially with an Anchor Bay disc. Well, I agree with everybody about the movie not being a classic, but I would recommend watching it at least once. Hell, I kinda wanna watch it right now!

5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I think so many of us on the board have overhyped this movie that anyone watching it for the first time is going to have too great of an expectation!!! It's one of those movies you have to discover! I watched it for the first time on Bravo. Obviously cut! I wanted to see it again so bad, and it was an out of print film, but I found a VHS copy on Ebay. Watching uncut, just made me love it more! I adore this film. I haven't received my DVD in the mail yet, but will watch it the minute I get it!

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

This was a fun movie but it's no Dead Alive. Dead Alive was waaaay more campy.

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Why do people insist on comparing it to Dead Alive??? These films have nothing in common except zombies.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Yeah, I agree. I "discovered" it about 8-10 years ago on Cinemax one night and immediately loved it. I haven't seen it since and recently got it in the mail. After reading some of the reactions, I am wondering if I shouldn't just keep the images and memories where they are and skip watching it??? Or maybe I'll just get lucky and the nostalgia will help out-weigh the disappointment some have mentioned feeling.

9. I love this movie...though I agree it never found itself.
    My most favorite scene in this movie, and possibly any movie ever, is the nod to the Magritte painting, "The Lovers" in the ossuary scene...wow.
    But Dellamorte Dellamore never "clicks", unfortunately.

10. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Exactly what I was thinking.If a movie has some comedy elements and zombies people almost always make a comparison with Brain Dead.Same with Shaun of the Dead when it came out.

Did anyone read the explanation (read:interpretation!) of this movie yet?
    SPOILERS ALERT!

I have only seen it years ago on VHS and I can't really remember everything what happened on screen.But this interpretation sounds really interesting and with this in mind I'll watch it again and maybe appreciate it a bit more.

11. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Thanks, Crystal Plumage, I liked that explanation a lot.

12. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Yeah, nice post CP. I definitally need to watch this again with all that in mind now, it sounds really interesting.

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    WOW!! That's heavy! Makes a lot of sense if you want to look that deeply into the film! I just enjoy the hell out of it. Watched it again 2 nights ago!

14. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

Because to a certain extent, they share a similar storyline (both Francesco and Lionel are trying to find true love while fighting zombies), and both manage to blend black humor and horror successfully. Some of the music cues in DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE are also similar to the ones in DEAD ALIVE to boot.

15. SaviniFan

Sure, but nobody is holding their brains in with a belt or kicking ass for the lord in Dellamorte Dellamore. Dead Alive wears it's humor on it's sleave and the humor in Dellamorte Dellamore is much more subtle. Two completely different film types in my opinion.

16. Noto

Noto Guest

Dead Alive is about as slap-sticky as a horror movie can get (same goes for Evil Dead 2; both great) while Cemetery Man is way more cerebral. It's akin to comparing The Marx Brothers to Sarah Silverman. The comparison doesn't work beyond the fact they are both funny.

17. SaviniFan

Doh, I realize I mixed Bad Taste and Dead Alive in my description. Oh well, you get my point. :)

18. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

You're welcome guys :D.
    I'm still not sure which version to get :(
    The Italian version has the best video quality but the US nicer extras and is much cheaper.Dilemma!

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

:lol: You guys crack me up. Fact is, you can compare any two films to one extent or another. They don't have to be the same. Surge92 makes some good points. It's up to those doing the comparing to justify or convince others of the validity of their argument. I was reading an article this afternoon that was about Costume Drama in the 30's as compared with Britains war effort. It can be done.

A film having an underlying theme or being "cerebral" doesn't inbue it with more worth, imo. The film, as entertainment, should probably work with or without an appreciation of said themes. I hope we're not suggesting that, since DD has some allegory, it's somehow more worthy. The film must stand on its own merits, I reckon.

20. JeffCostello

JeffCostello Member

Good point, but the reason I like DD so much is exactly because it works on both levels: you can just enjoy it as an entertaining movie with an interesting mixture of horror/comedy/drama. And you can start looking at the deeper level and try figuring out the allegories and see how Soavi plays with the genre conventions to create something pretty special.
    Kind of like watching a Simpson's episode (and yes, you can draw all kinds of adventurous comparisons to movies :D)