Just watched Tokyo Gore Police - I now need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Novosibirsk, May 11, 2015.

1. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

A movie that as bizarre and gory as it was, still managed to make me laugh ("Let's get stylish with wrist cutting!"). I meant to watch this when it came out, but never got around to it.

I now need some suggestions, I'm not necessarily after "gore" flicks per se, but Japanese flicks that have the same fucked up sensibility would be great.

I started watching Robogeisha but I wasn't really feeling it...

Any ideas? Executive Koala maybe?

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I didn't like TGP so much, but I enjoyed The Machine Girl.

The lead actress from TGP was in a fantastic movie called Audition, but the less you know about that, the better.

3. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

yeah, the Machine Girl was much better. I think that whole subgenera went downhill quickly after that. Sukeban Deka, which came out before the Machine Girl though, was also not bad, and much stranger (in a good way).

You might also try Love Exposure, it's not gory, though violent in places, and it has a good spirit to it.

4. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Tokyo Gore Police is very overrated in my opinion.

I´ve watched tons of this genre, and while good, only a few stand...

01- Versus (yes, I consider it part of this genre).
    02- The Machine Girl
    03- Vampire Girl Vs. Frankenstein Girl.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  5. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

While this may be obvious, you might want to give "Ichi the Killer" a look if you haven't seen it. And, while it's much older, "Hausu" is sort of a progenitor for the whole current extreme scene in Japan.

6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Here is a list of a few more that have outrageous scenes in them but aren't necessarily good films:

Helldriver
    Horny House of Horror
    Robogeisha

Also Demoni mentioned Vampire Girl Vs Frankenstein Girl and I completely agree.

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I recommend Ichi the Killer as well

8. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations everyone! This is a great list of flicks to do through, might start with Audition.

9. othervoice1

Oh you haven't seen Audition? Yea start with that - I love that movie. I wouldn't really put it in the same movie type category as a Tokyo Gore Police or Ichi the Killer - but it's a GREAT movie.

10. Anaestheus

Audition is certainly an excellent film. But, I wouldn't put it in the same category as the recent trend. Side note, it is directed by the same guy that did "Ichi" and it's one of his most restrained, straight-forward movies. So, if you do like Audition, look into his other stuff. It only gets wilder.

You may also want to look into the films of Shinya Tsukamoto, particularly the Tetsuo films and "A Snake of June"

11. othervoice1

I really liked "A Snake of June" as well. Same of course with Oldboy (not the American version) which if anyone hasn't seen it needs to. The whole Vengeance Trilogy by Park Chan-Wook is great. But again we are straddling the line of just great Asian thriller/horror rather then the over the top gore genre.

12. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Good calls! I do have a Snake of June on hand that I bought ages ago, but never watched it. I did watch Nightmare Detective, I thought it was OK.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually, the questions to ask are:

1. Have you seen any other Japanese horror before?

2. What was it about Tokyo Gore Police you liked so much?

Reason I ask is that there are a lot of different styles of Japanese horror, the most obvious one is the "scary girl" ghost story most notable in The Ring and Ju-On, but other movies as well.

TGP is an over-the-top gore story, obviously, and there's plenty of those too. They're crazy, but not very scary (I think Audition is about the best combination of scary mixed with extreme violence out there). Many of the scarier Japanese films are more subtle.

Demoni mentioned Versus, a film I hate with a passion. It takes place in "Resurrection Forest", where if you kill someone they just come back to life. To me, it was like a video game on "god mode", where you can never die. A lot of people do like playing games in that mode, but I find them intensely boring. Just like Versus.

14. Anaestheus

Yeah, Snake of June is far more interesting/original than the Nightmare Detective series. Sadly Tsukamoto does a lot of work-for-hire. His best stuff tends to be the ones where he is credited as the sole writer