Just What Does a Horror Fan Want?

Discussion in 'General' started by old-boo-radley, Mar 23, 2005.

1. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I am pretty sure we just want to bitch about stuff. Bitch about this, bitch about that, bitch about bitching. It's all good.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2005
  2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

A true horror fan spells horror this way: B-I-T-C-H. :lol: That's too funny onebyone, but so true.

3. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i can't comment on the movies mentioned and i guess im not really a horror fan but i'm trying to be.

for me, a good horror movie makes me laugh. for example, i've seen scary movie 2 plenty of times and then i went to finally watch the original exorcist and when i saw the priest with all the flies on him, even though it was serious, james woods ruined it already and i was laughing my ass off. so i tend to like the less serious horror film. i like to see popular academy award type actors throwing cheesy lines and acting sub-par in films 10 to 20 years before they won their academies:)

i like decent rip off plots, good gore and acting that makes me cringe and laugh. i wwant foreign flicks that translate to american situations well. like: different language but they are almost expiriencing the same thing as me. i want stupid bugs, monsters and things that come out of the toilet. i also like really shitty horror movies that try to be serious so i can hack on them. i like horror movies that are better when you have three beers in you.

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

For the most part, I just want a good story. It doesn't even have to be scary, as long as I enjoy it. Bad acting really isn't an issue for me because if I enjoy the story, then I'll enjoy the acting whether it's good or bad. I like gore just as much as the next guy, but I agree that sometimes more is less.

5. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I want something original and refreshing. The horror genre to me is basically dead. That's crazy because between 1920-1980 horror is my favorite genre, and horror is what got me interested in film as a whole. I can only name around 20 or 30 great horror films made in the past 25 years. That's pathetic. Of course, good direction, characters you can relate to, a good score, and obviously mood are important as well.

6. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

If you think we're hard to please here, may I direct you to this haven of malcontents.

They get brutal over there. I mean, B-R-U-T-A-L. :nervous:

7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Don't even get me started on Suspiria. If you're afraid of some red and blue lights, The Exorcist 4 should have scared you to death ;)

I also can't find any connection in the way The Mummy is compared to Exorcist 4. To each his own, but I do not see the connection.

-----

Since people seem to knock the plot of Exorcist 4... I felt that it was a very emotional film, and I think it benefitted from the fast pace Renny gave it because rather than dwelling on Merrin for the entire length of the film, it gave you a break from it so you didn't grow tired of the same things he kept pondering in his brain. "Less is more." ;) You have to really fall in love with the character to withstand a 110 minute character study of him, and I haven't made up my mind yet if this would work with this film.

The situation kind of reminds me of the real hardcore Asian horror fanatics (I mean the ones who will only wear T-shirts with Japanese text and such). Although I have no problem with anyone liking what they like... I don't understand why people adore Asian horror for not being "dumbed down" like all of these "American movies," they let the viewer make his own assumptions and not everything is explained. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lucio Fulci did the exact same thing, but the same people who like the Asian flicks refer to his films as "uncomprehensible messes" or say "That fuckin' piece of shit The Beyond made no sense!" I don't get it.

And, yes I know Fulci isn't American, but you get the idea.

8. Surnom

Surnom New Member

Whatever the movies, what I want is to be entertain, to have a good 2 hours of fun watching something that interests me... Some might be scary, some might be funny, some might even be bad, but i found them entertaining. But I still hate, in any situation, cut movies, and not because I so much miss the gore - it's mostly because I want to see what the movie was suppose to be in the first place, before the censor, and this is why I want uncut as often as possible. Otherwise, it would be like looking at a classic painting where the nipples would have been brushed out because it nudity... The same goes with widescreen - nobody want to look at painting with the sides blacked out.

And I don't think I like what is cool - I do have the Gothika DVD here, while lots of people hate that movie, or The Order for that matter... - and I did like Bubba Ho-Tep, and didn't like Valentine or Cabin Fever (in fact I did hate Cabin Fever)... In the end, it's like everything else - everybody got his own taste, and I guess someone, somewhere, do like Uwe Boll movies... Maybe it's Uwe Boll himself...

9. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I feel the same way...I really just want to be entertained. That usually happens when a movie succeeds in when it's trying to do, though sometimes it happens when a movie is spectacularly bad [HOUSE OF THE DEAD, for instance.]

A few other random thoughts...

I recognize that some of the problems I have with some of the newer films are generational. I'm appoaching my mid-30s. Most of these movies aren't made for me anymore, and the ones that have an excess of hip-hop music, for example, just distract me too much and take me out of the film. But sometimes, again, this can also be funny if it turns a horror flim into a comedy [again, HOUSE OF THE DEAD.]

I personally thought EXORCIST: THE BEGINNING was okay, and didn't see why fans had such malice for the film. It was an unnecessary film but it's certainly not the first
    useless sequel, and fans have generally found something in value in the various sequels. I guess the main problem people had was that it veered off course from the spirit of the earlier films. I think if people look at it as a standalone film they might like it a bit more, though I don't think anyone will ever consider it a classic on par with the earlier films. But I guess the idea of Father Merrin having a physical action-movie style battle with a possessed person is a little like making a zombie flick and having a lot of supernatural stuff going on--it's just not what people expect or want.

BTW, in general, I think fans make poor films. Fans like to see the monster as much as possible, but storywise, making the monster/villain the "star" usually overwhelms the audience and doesn't work as well as having the traditional conflict between good and evil. It's like a dinner with nothing but dessert courses. That was one of the big problems I had with HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES--the family's antics actually became boring after a while. That's really the only cardinal sin for a movie in my book.

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Another thing that bothers me...fans complain about horror films needing "character development"...but when ones come along that have it, horror fans (more often than not) completely crap all over them (Open Water). If you get into the story, the plight of the characters, Open Water is certainly not "boring" as I've heard it described.

So, just what IS character development to some of you guys? I'm curious. :)

11. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

With me all it really needs to be is to give the characters enough depth that I care what happens to them. You don't need to give 20 minutes of additional dialogue about their childhoods to do that. A good script can do it without slowing the movie down.

And I really think that in a lot of horror films, it's not all that necessary. A lot of the classic slashers, for example, don't have much in the way of character development. "Lack of character development" is basically a criticism thrown around at films that people already don't like. It doesn't mean much in most cases.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I don't need the characters to "develop" or grow from one point in the film to the next, but having some depth to where you care about them (POLTERGEIST, CARRIE, or even PUMPKINHEAD--who doesn't like Ed Harley?!) and their plight.
    Of course, I also really enjoy watching dipshits get hacked to bits as much as the next gorehound, but the ones with depth seem to be the classics.
    But the "deep" characters don't even have to be the traditional antagonists. Take PSYCHO: the character with the most depth, the one you care about the most is the killer.
    Personally, I feel that the actors have to win the audience over. If I don't like them, it's pretty hard to care about them. The characters in OPEN WATER were whining bitches with zero chance to do anything else due to the almost non-existant script. I am so horrified...TERRIFIED...of the ocean (thanks, Spielberg) that the concept of OPEN WATER blew my circuits when I heard about it. I couldn't wait. How could this NOT be scary to someone like me? It wasn't. I didn't even bother finishing the movie because I hated the so-called actors and really didn't care if they lived or died. I didn't even care enough to stick it out in case they got bit in half (and that's saying something for me).
    The movie just did not draw me in. Sorry, Wes. We all have our tastes. I hope that the makers of the film got enough money and exposure from it to do something a little better for their next project--unlike those BLAIR WITCH losers. I digress...

13. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Dawn of the Dead (the original) comes to mind when I think of character development. I even hated one character (Fran), but those elements made the movie that much better.

14. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

uncut, no studio tampering,origional ratio. Thats it I love almost all horror. The cheap made for video on a budget og 6 $. films rank bottom of the list but other than that most of them have value. I liked Valentine, I assume I will like exorcist as well

only peeves
    1.studios deciding the political climate is wrong and cencoring a movie that already has an R rating ( valentine)
    2.Not at least releasing unrated titles on dvd/video/laser whatever, if they were cut for theatrical release
    3.If a movie is made for pg-13 then fine, but cutting a r rated flick to make it pg-13
    4.Could they maybe tone down the CGI just a bit? Alittle old fashioned SFX would be greatly appriciated

major peeves

that that havent released prom night on a super duper edtion with soundtrack and hours of extras :banana: :banana:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  15. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I think everyone besides the hardcore horror fan hated Blair Witch... Word of mouth pissed a lot of people off ;)

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

It wasn't word of mouth that killed it fo rme, it was the giant loopholes in the story. Not unlike SIXTH SENSE, as soon as the credits rolled I said, "Wow! That was great!" Five minutes later, as I put the pieces together, I said, "Wait a minute...it doesn't work." I was profoundly disappointed.

My point in my previous post was that I forgave the filmmakers for trying something daring and different and almost getting it right. They were the new Golden Kids in Hollywood and everyone was anxious about what they would do next with a budget behind them. THAT'S when they really failed.

17. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I actually love films that try to be really scary but I love films that are just cheesefest full of gore but I would take a really scary film over the latter anyday.

18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I know what you mean. Are you calling them failures because they've done nothing since, or are you blaming them for Blair Witch 2? If it's the latter, then you're being unfair because they had no input on the sequel.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Well, I meant that they never did anything with their newfound fame and influence--not even anything bad like HOUSE OF THE DEAD! But now that you mention it, I thought that they'd signed on to do the sequel and the prequel...? I guess that fell through and they gave it to someone lese? Better for them, I suppose.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I read in the latest Rue Morgue that Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez (the creators of Blair Witch) are each working on their own movies now. Daniel a "psychological thriller" and Eduardo an "Alien Abduction film". I'd be curious to see what they do with them. and they're trying to get the green light to go ahead with a Blair Witch prequel....
    sorry, i don't have a link to the story as I read it in the actual magazine.