Justice League (2017) review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Nov 16, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Justice League (2017, Zack Snyder)

Justice League had a lot going against it with many of the characters not having their solo films yet to introduce them and the fact that all the DC universe films bar Wonder Woman being poorly received. Not to mention that the director leaving for personal reasons leaving Joss Whedon (The Avengers) to pick up the pieces and get this mammoth film to come in under the studio mandated 2 hour length.

All in all it could’ve been a lot worse but I would say the first half is a structural, rushed mess but with enough fun characters to make it watchable. The film over relies on the use of cgi which can make the action scenes kind of ugly in an otherwise interesting looking film.

What keeps it entertaining is the interplay between the League members which works really well. Also the score pays homage to many super hero themes, I am sure I heard the theme from Batman Animated somewhere I’m the mix which was great. So sure the film but off more than it could chew but it did it with a pretty good spirit of fun that it makes it better than all but the Wonder Woman film in the DC interconnected universe,

6/10

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm in Thialand at the moment so I won't be able to see this till I get back. I'm not surprised to hear the film doesn't flow right. They did the same thing here that was done to BvS and cut an almost 3 hour film down to 2 hours. I'm surprised they didn't learn the first time as the Ultimate Cut of BvS was much better received than the theatrical. Hopefully the Bluray sport the longer cut of JL.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

My wife and I are going to see it in a few days. I'm expecting a total dumpster fire. I can honestly say that I could do a better job at managing the cinematic DC universe.

Next up is Aquaman, Shazam, Suicide Squad 2 (with The Rock!) and Flashpoint. I'm just not interested in any of those films. I'll watch Gotham City Sirens if it ever gets made because Poison Ivy is my favorite villain, but as of now Justice League is the last DCEU film for me.

Safe travels in Thailand ZD. :)

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

its a little better than a dumpster fire but really you might be shocked at how bad some of the sets and effects look. Gotham looks like a set in a stage play and some of the flying effects look very 90's

5. Zombie Dude

I'm a little worried about it but I don't think it'll be a dumpster fire. Most of the reviews I've seen say there's issues but it's still quite enjoyable.
    I'm looking forward to all those other films they have lined up too. I think DC has a good roster of characters to work with so it'll be fun to see what they do with them.

Cheers about Thailand! It's been nice to get away on a holiday :)

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just saw it. Dumpster fire was too kind. Everything about this film was awful except for Amy Adams.

7. Zombie Dude

You're making me sad Buck.

buck135 likes this.
  8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Guess I'll be the first to say I enjoyed the film. I was more entertained with Justice League than Thor: Ragnarok. You must really like Amy Adams as she was barely in the film.

Steel76 and Anthropophagus like this.
  9. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the Hell out of it. Much more than I did the last Spiderman film, and most of the superhero genre.
    I'm not a fan of comic books really and pretty much know jack about either the Marvel or DC Universes.
    That being said as mindless entertainment, it was mindless and very entertaining though I'll probably never watch it again.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Very much so. She's as talented as she is beautiful. Unfortunately as you said, she's barely in it. I left before the two post credits scenes started. I just couldn't take any more.

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Holy shit, I had a blast with this one!
    After the mediocre trailers, I felt like skipping the movie, but my girlfriend really enjoys the DC movies, so I tagged along, and I'm glad I did.

The movies is so fucking over the top and wonderfully cheesy, that I had a huge grin on my face from start to finish.
    Gone are the depressing, dark emo crap, from Snyder' s previous movies.

From the opening scene with Batman, that felt more like the 1989 movie, thanks to the Danny Elfman score, I knew this one would be different.

No wonder the movie is only 2 hrs long, since they play all the action scenes in normal speed, without the Snyder slow mo :D

The CGI wasn't as bad as I though they would be, but there are moments, during the climax, where it almost looked like a SyFy production, which made it even more amusing :D

I'm glad that Danny Elfman made the score, and loved the cues from the 1989 Batman and 1978 Superman themes.

Most entertainment DC movie, in a long time.

And damn, I would love for Wonder Woman to kick my ass :D

Anthropophagus likes this.
  12. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I enjoyed the film. Then again, I enjoyed all the DCU films except MoS, so what do I know. LOL

Anthropophagus likes this.
  13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

First off, I'm glad many of you like the film. The DC universe is my favorite and I've been outspoken over my disdain regarding the direction in which it is heading.

As I said earlier, I enjoyed nothing other than Amy Adams. All but three of Henry Cavill's scenes in this film were reshoots, and the MS Paint mustache removal effect ruined his appearance. It just reminded me that Snyder has a 3 hour cut scored by Junkie XL that WB didn't like.

About the score. The soundtrack to Batman '89 was the first CD I ever bought. I walked to the nearby mall while still in my mid teens to purchase it because I loved the music (and the film) so much. I also own the La La Land Records CD releases for both Burton films and their four Animated Series CD sets. That said, the music didn't belong here, nor did the John Williams score. Hearing Elfman's fucking Beetlejuice music during the opening bank heist killed the whole scene for me and set the tone for the rest of the film.

Everytime Flash opened his mouth, I cringed. Aquaman was just plain annoying and Steppenwolf was much worse than Enchantress in every way. I didn't view him or the Parademons as a threat to anyone.

The effects were abysmal and it just looked like I was watching a 2 hour PS2 Quicktime video game.

I disagree with you Steel about the action scenes. To me they were more exaggerated than in any film to date. Half the film's screen time was when Flash tipped Wonder Woman's sword ever so slowly to her as she was falling. What did she need it so bad for? Ares destroyed her God Killer in the last film. She never did anything productive with it anyway.

Say what you want about BvS, but that films warehouse scene was how action scenes in these movies should be.

This film didn't even make me smile, in fact I wanted a refund. Suicide Squad at least had some moments that I enjoyed. I'm holding out hope that the director's cut gets a blu-ray release. If not, I'll never watch Justice League ever again.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    sade likes this.
  14. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Here is the word on that

“The film is found in the edit process, rarely does a director start shooting with the entire film plotted out. Some things work, some things don’t. There is no Snyder cut – obviously he had a rough edit in process when he left in February, but the reshoots were done 6 months after that, and he had no final version of the film. Sure, Zack would’ve probably done things differently to how the movie turned out, but that’s it. There isn’t a secret Zack version hidden somewhere. It just doesn’t exist. There is no cut.”

15. Zombie Dude

I'm sure he had a pretty good idea on how he was going to do things and shot all that stuff. I keep hearing there's all this footage that didn't make it in the film that explains things better. His version also would have been over 2 hours. I'm assuming that quote is from WB and while I get what they're saying I still think Zack should be allowed to construct his own cut.

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I've read that, however I've also read many other quotes from the cinematographer and other members of the crew stating otherwise. The petition which is close to its goal of 150,000 signatures was even liked by Zack Snyder. He turned in a 3 hour cut that was scored by Junkie XL. The tragedy with his family occured later. If we can get Orson Welles' director's cuts post-mortem based on notes, we can certainly get this.

I can't verify its authenticity, but in the original story, Steppenwolf revived Superman to distract Earth while searching for the mother boxes. That sounds interesting.

The fact is, almost every scene with Superman in the theatrical film was a reshoot. I enjoy Zack's work and would like to see his version one day.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. Zombie Dude

I saw this last night and was left underwhelmed. It felt tonally inconsistent, short and anticlimactic. Thats not to say it's totally terrible but it definitely felt meddled with. I also hated a lot of the reshoot stuff. Some is very noticeable like the very beginning.
    My fingers are still crossed that they have a longer cut on Bluray that also removes a lot of the reshoot stuff. I want to see Snyder's version damnit!

18. thing

thing Well-Known Member

19. Zombie Dude

I honestly think they'd make more money if they get Snyder to finish off his cut. All this stuff that was cut makes the movie sound a hell of a lot better than what got released.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Anyone in the mood for a DVDManiac9 style rant? As stated above, I loathed Justice League. I like Zack Snyder's films, and he's an easy guy to root for. I have no opinion on Joss Wheden since he was brought in to do what he was instructed to do, including editing the film down to two hours.

This film bombed so bad that major restructuring has been going on with the DCEU as a result. I will not watch the majority of the upcoming DCEU films.

While I admire James Wan, I will pass on Aquaman. The character was obnoxious in Justice League. I also really admire director David F. Sandberg, however I will watch Ant-Man 2 before watching Shazam because I couldn't care less about Shazam and especially his arch nemesis Black Adam who will be played by The Rock.

I realize the masses enjoy pro wrestling and The Rock...I do not. Since he is scheduled to be in Suicide Squad 2, that's another easy pass for me.

I also don't care for a Joss Wheden Batgirl, Flashpoint, Nightwing, Legion of Doom, Deathstroke, Justice League Dark, Green Lantern Corps, Joker or Joker and Harley films. Unless my favorite character, Poison Ivy is involved, I'm not interested.

This leaves me with Gotham City Sirens, Man of Steel 2, Wonder Woman 2 and The Batman to hold out hope for. I am bothered by the studio interference and lack of confidence in the people tasked with bringing these characters to life.

BvS is flawed, but the action scenes (especially the warehouse scene) were some of the very best DC has ever produced. This regressed into mindless CGI droll in Justice League. Ben Affleck 's Batman was a force in BvS (let Martha alone for five minutes). He wasn't effectively used in Justice League and now will be in Flashpoint to end his commitment which will confuse the audience that doesn't read comics and move on so that another actor can don the cape and cowl.

When Affleck was cast as Batman, I stated the following on this site:

"Congratulations Warner Brothers! It's Batman and Robin all over again. Apparently, they will run the franchise into the ground again. Hopefully I'll still be alive when they attempt to resurrect it. You figure when.... 2025?"

BvS proved me wrong about Ben Affleck's ability to own the role. Warner has proved me right about running these franchises back into the ground.

I had the same reaction walking out of the theater after watching Justice League as I did after leaving the theater 20 years earlier after watching Batman and Robin.

Is it 2025 yet?