Karloff and Chaney Inner Sanctum Sets in September

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, May 31, 2006.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

From DVD Drive-In:
    Looks like some good sets, I'm especially interested in more Karloff. I have to wonder if we'll have the same problems as the last batches of Universal sets.

2. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Sounds good, i'll definitely be picking these up.

3. SamuraiNut

SamuraiNut Guest

If these are 3 and 2 disc sets respectively, they won't be DVD-18'S. Looks like Universal is slowly moving away from the format.

4. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Thank goodness if they aren't using DVD-18's anymore. I'll be picking up the Karloff set. Never seen Inner Sanctum. Any good?

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I picked up the Inner Sanctum Mysteries: The Complete Movie Collection for $5. Has anyone seen these and are they any good? Are they horror at all?, as I was thinking of watching them in Oct. for my Horror Movie-athon. Some of them definitely sound like they have horror elements although they seem to be more mystery/ thriller.

The titles included are:

- Calling Dr. Death (1943)
    - Weird Woman (1944)
    - Dead Man's Eyes (1944)
    - Frozen Ghost, The (1945)
    - Strange Confession (1945)
    - Pillow of Death (1945)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i also have this, but haven't watched any of them yet. part of the old universal "franchise collection" i believe. the individual sets featuring karloff and lugosi were great, though.

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I got the last Karloff set and really enjoyed it,love to get these new offerings.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I think the releases mentioned by the OP are the old releases. unless you consider discs from 2006 "new"?

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I haven't watched mine either, let's all make it a point to watch it this Halloween season.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

ha, that would be an interesting arrangement. watch a specific title on a particular day, then discuss the next day.

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'm down. So do you think these Inner Sanctum Mystery movies would count as horror movies then?

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^ Reading some Amazon reviews I guess not, they're more mystery/thrillers despite their supernatural opening credits. Maybe I'll just lead up to Halloween with them the last week of September. I do enjoy a good '40's mystery.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I may try to do the same. They are short films so it may be doable.

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I've been digging into both of these sets over the past week. The Inner Sanctum flicks aren't horror, but they're a hoot for fans of Chaney, Jr. and 1940s mysteries. There are horror elements to varying degrees, and they feature some of the recurring Universal musical cues that we all know and love. They're definitely "B" pictures, and some of the genre elements are laughably handled. Check out the voodoo rituals in "Weird Woman" for a good example of what I mean. Chaney is consistently cast wildly against type, sporting a mustache and playing various suave doctors and academics--a far cry from the Everyman roles he excelled at. Apparently he had trouble with a lot of the scientific dialogue involved, so he did it in voice-over instead of on-camera. Some of the films lean so hard on the internal monologues that the effect becomes kind of comical after a while. And in terms of the quality of the mysteries, they're more on par with the Monogram Charlie Chans than the superior Fox entries. So, unless you're a fan of Chaney AND mysteries of this era, you probably won't get much enjoyment out of these flicks.

The only Karloff set film I watched is The Climax, and it's easily my least-favorite Universal "horror" film. I put horror in quotes because it's really a costume melodrama with all of the weaknesses and none of the strengths of the 1943 Phantom of the Opera. There are even more interminable singing interludes, and it's consistently a lifeless affair. I've never seen Karloff give such an unenthusiastic performance. He sleepwalks through the film like he doesn't want to be there. I can't blame him, since I felt the same way watching it. For reasons I can't fathom, it was clearly a big-budget project for Universal--with sumptuous Technicolor and very high production values. Too bad it's all wasted on such a vapid story. Hopefully the other films in this set are better.