Keep Watching (February 6th)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jan 1, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Starring Ioan Gruffudd, Bella Thorne, and Chandler Riggs, this home-invasion horror was actually given a one-night nationwide theatrical release by Sony on Halloween (the trailer was attached to Happy Death Day). Being one of the busiest horror nights of the year, I can't imagine too many of us had the chance to make it to the theater.

If you missed out, fear not! Sony is releasing the movie on DVD on February 6th.

[​IMG]

fceurich39 likes this.
  2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Looks kinda fun may have to get this I'm sure Walmart stores will have it Feb 6

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah looks OK, will give it a viewing when it's out.

4. fceurich39

DVD will be 12.96 at Walmart stores Feb 6th can't wait

5. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Interested in checking this out

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

So I watched this tonight, God so fucking boring! The first 40 minutes consist of people eating, girl bathing, kid taking out trash, girl trying to contact boyfriend, father on phone. Yawn, it picks up around 45 mins but you may not get there! Not something I can recommend.

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Movie like this give me a headache. Can't watch hand held type films. I know it's not the whole movie , but it's enough to keep me away. Shame really.

8. CPT HOOK

fceurich, did you pick this one up today? Can you confirm that it's $12.96 in store? Says $14 online. Trying to decide if I want to venture in there, I kind of hate going there.

9. fceurich39

Yep got it for 12.96 along with victor Crowley and day of the dead bloodline also both 12.96 too

CPT HOOK likes this.
  10. CPT HOOK

If you have Meijer stores in your area, this is on sale for $11.99 thru 2/14.

Was really surprised to find it there, I generally don't think of Meijer as a go-to for movie deals.

fceurich39 likes this.
  11. fceurich39

Just finished it and I enjoyed it as do most found footage I like

12. CPT HOOK

I liked this one a lot. It's a "found-footage" home invasion movie and it doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it's very effective for what it is. If you don't like "found-footage" or home invasion movies, it's probably not the movie for you. It's basically My Little Eye meets The Strangers or Kristy.

That said, after having been burned countless times by the wave of dreadful "found-footage" movies a few years back, this one actually has a lot of fun with the format. It's not used as an excuse to be cheap or lazy, and they get pretty creative with some of the camera angles. I especially liked the hourglass camera. That's specifically why I compared it to My Little Eye, as that's another one that got creative with camera angles (the pen cam, for instance). And like My Little Eye, this one manages to create a rather tense, creepy, and voyeuristic atmosphere.

One of the comments above mentions that nothing happens for the first 40 minutes, but that wasn't my take at all. For the first 30 minutes, the family is completely unaware that they're being watched or that someone is lurking around their house. But the audience knows, and it's incredibly creepy and voyeuristic. You can even catch shadows and strangers lurking around in the background throughout. Mundane activities like a girl taking a bath or a boy taking out the garbage is mentioned above, but the girl bathing is shown from the point of view of a stranger filming through a window who she is completely unaware is there! As the boy is taking out the garbage (outside in the middle of the night), the shadow of a stranger is shown lurking behind him, which ultimately pays off in a jump scare. The pacing of the film is nearly identical to The Strangers, and even before the bad guys make their presence known to the family, the audience knows they're there and it creates an undercurrent of dread. For me, there wasn't a dull moment.

It's worth mentioning though, this is not a movie for gorehounds. In fact, it's pretty much bloodless. I kind of got the impression that it was intended to be a PG-13, but the MPAA probably found it too intense (similar to the Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark remake, also from Sony). I think the movie worked fine without gore, it's more of a suspense vehicle ala the French movie Them (aka Ils) anyway.

As mentioned, it doesn't bring anything new to the table, but I don't always think that's necessary with the genre as long as it's done effectively. And watching this alone at night with the lights off, I found it quite effective. It also helps going into the movie with such a low opinion of found-footage and having heard mostly negative word of mouth, which was definitely the case for me. I went in mostly just curious as to why Sony deemed this worthy of a one-night Halloween wide theatrical release, and I ended up very pleasantly surprised. I kind of wish I had been able to catch this one on the big screen, then again a found-footage home invasion movie probably plays better at home when you're alone anyway.

fceurich39 likes this.