Kevin S. Tenney's Brain Dead

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by bigdaddyhorse, Oct 8, 2010.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

This flick just finaly came out on dvd and I was lucky enough to get a screener and some mushrooms. This is what followed. Read it cuntbiscut!:D

How many movies does this make that share the title Brain Dead? I see at least five on IMDB, although not all are titled Brain Dead in all countries. I’ll forgive another one, especially when this one seems to deserve the title most of all (sorry, but somehow I missed the Corman one). The title works on multiple levels here. The dead are eating brains, but the living are semi-retarded as well. What it all boils down to is a fun flick in the tradition of Return of the Living Dead and Night of the Creeps, a near perfect mix of horror, gore, humor and nudity. According to the press kit I got with the screener, “Brain Dead is just as much a parody of classic zombie films as it is a clever update to the beloved genre.” That sounds like big shoes to fill, let’s see how big this movie’s feet are.

I’m inclined to like this off the bat. Kevin S. Tenney, director of classics Witchboard and Night of the Demons returns! This also stars another favorite director, and the most mentioned name in my reviews, Jim Wyorski. We start in a video monitor, where some guy is being interviewed about something horrible. Not sure what it is, but he claims he’s innocent of everything, “except maybe the moving violation”. Cut to the titles, we follow a meteor through space and to Earth. The meteor ends up landing in fisherman Bill’s head. His fishing buddy must not see the fucking hole in his forehead as he keeps saying “Bill, wake up, come on”, while we see some black goo attaching itself to Bill’s brain, turning him into the first zombie. He grabs his buddy’s head and pokes out his eyes while ripping his head open in a great Gabe Bartalos effect. He then picks up the brain to eat it and we cut to the sheriff’s office. Here we meet a few of the characters we will grow to love, including Wynorski’s Sheriff Bodine, and lead dudes Clarence (Joshua Benton) and Bob (David Crane). Bob and Clarence are cuffed together and on the way to the pen, but won’t make it there. Every deputy is Jimmy something, Jimmy Bob, Jimmy Ray, etc., so you know we are in hick country!

Along a deserted country road we find Reverend Farnsworth and his sexy assistant Amy. Rev is putting on the moves, saying something about “I love my wife but ever since the Lord saw fit to extend her from a size six to a size twelve, I’ve had great difficulty expressing my physical love”. She whips out her huge tits and confesses she was sent by the Lord to “relieve your throbbing!” His bullshit macking is about to work until the car, accidentally put in gear, rolls away and crashes into a tree spoiling the mood.

Somewhere in the woods, by the lake, we meet the next couple of characters, Sherry and Claudia (Sarah Grant Brendecke and Michelle Tomlinson respectively). They are out hiking and separated from a larger group when Sherry decides to do some “communing with nature” by stripping naked and jumping in the lake... Gratuitous nudity at it’s finest!
    Claudia is the classic man-hating lesbian and soon can’t resist getting naked and jumping in too, as anyone who likes girls would since Sherry is pretty damn fine. So far we’ve met five girls, and already seen three (very nice) racks, two bushes and two butts! Good ratio!

Meanwhile, the cop van blows a tire and the cuffed odd couple escape with a shotgun. Another fully nude park ranger (Tess McVicker) rounds out the cast, and is sent to check in on the missing fishermen/drunks. Soon all parties converge on the fishermen’s vacant cabin, with most of the windows already conveniently boarded up. Of course no one knows about the threat, so Bob basically takes everyone hostage. Even when a zombie outside punches a hole through the head of the park ranger (during a shoot-out with Bob), some of those inside believe it was the shotgun that killed her.

While all this is going down, the zombie is slowly making other zombies by puking the black slime onto them. It’s really an alien parasite which makes the host zombieish while eating the brains inside out, just keeping motor functions going. This is very reminiscent of Night of the Creeps with slug-like things crawling around and entering hosts orally. The cabin harkens back to Evil Dead, the woods to Friday the 13th. It’s like a bunch of old favorites thrown into a blender, this is what came out, and I love it!

Dale Gelineau has written a great script. Plenty of humor, some very tense sequences and even a few action scenes. Plus a new term I hadn’t heard before, and I’ve heard many a colorful phrase or term, but “cuntbiscut” is new to my vocabulary (and most welcome)! Tenney’s direction is also top notch, some great connections and never boring. During my first viewing of this, I was on mushrooms and laughed so much it hurt. A second sober viewing finds a great film still, just not quite as funny, but nothing is. So I’ll leave you now with some shit unmentioned and my highest possible recommendation. I just don’t see why it took 3 years since this played film festivals to finally land on DVD, but thank you Breaking Glass Pictures for finally bringing it. Oh yeah, final stats and some great lines:

7 dead, 6 heads opened up or removed, 3 zombies, 4 pairs of tits, 3 asses and 3 bushes.

“My phone bill is higher than Whitney Houston; I can’t even get a signal.”

“If you blow their brains out, they won’t be around to clean up the mess afterwards.”

“Is there anything else from our backpacks you want to offer us?”

“There is every type of human depravity and degradation in this room tonight. Atheists, fornicators, murders...”
    “Um, lesbians”

“Lick me cuntbiscut!”

“The buffet is closed you slimy little fuck!”

“He was no picnic when he was a human, and I doubt being a mutant-parasite-zombie-puppet has improved his mood any.”

“You’re the one who believes in all this after-life crap. Me, I’m an atheist, if that thing gets my ass it’s forever.”

“Adios you fucking meat puppet!”

“Alright asshole, you want us, come and get us. But the joke’s on you cuz I already lost most of my brain cells to hard drinking.”

“If stupid was a sport, well that boy, he’d have a room full of trophies.”

“He blew a hole straight through my baby sister’s face, and that ain’t right… even if she wasn’t the pretty one.”

While that is the full review, you can find screens and the trailer here.
    Bottom line, it's about time this came out. The film is a blast and everyone here needs to see it.

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The Version I saw a while ago had an horrible CGI opening with the meteor heading towards earth.
    Has this been improved on for the DVD?
    Looked like an awful 15 year old Playstation cutscene.

If not, why are low budget filmmakers today so lazy about using models and miniatures in shots like that? Even WE made a couple of shots in front of a greenscreen with a model spaceship swooshing by the camera in a short film, and it cost us almost NOTHING to make, and it looks WAY better than cheap ass CGI.

Other than that, the movie was old-school splatter fun :)
    Hope to see more horror from Mr. Tenney soon.

3. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster New Member

I saw it and thought it was some good splatter fun. And I know for a fact that forum member Old Boo Radley loves the tits on that one broad. :glasses:

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

oct 12th is the dvd release date

5. TheDreamMaster

Pretty sure the release date was this past Tuesday; that's what all the press materials from Breaking Glass indicated.

6. fceurich39

it was but on facebook they said there was a technical glitch so most places will have it in stock oct 12th my indie store is supposed to be getting 2 copies on oct 12th

7. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Amazon says the release date is October 12, yet Best Buy's site has a release date of October 26. Guess I'll just hold off and see if Amazon actualky lists it as in stock on the 12th.

8. bigdaddyhorse

The bad CGI opening is still there, but having not seen it prior I don't know if it was changed at all. Probably not. I didn't mind it at all, it felt right for this film. Had it been super-realistic it wouldn't really fit IMO.

Presser I got also said Oct. 5th for release date.

9. TheDreamMaster

Ah, I see. I hope it's just a one-time glitch. I think fans of Tenney will really enjoy this one.

10. fceurich39

now a few websites says oct 26th bestbuy,diabolik dvd,video eta

so i dunno who to believe i ask again on brain dead's facebook page

11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I will second that <:

12. springjack

springjack New Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol: :lol: I have to see this now just to hear some of those lines!

14. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Huge fan of Kevin Tenney's work, but I've never heard of this film. I will pick this up. Thanks for the info bigdaddyhorse.

15. bigdaddyhorse

If you like Night of the Demons there's no reason you shouldn't at least enjoy this. It feels like an old classic in many ways. The only people I wouldn't recommend this to are those with no sense of humor who only like slick big budget films. This is low budget (I was worried when the trailer played before the movie on the screener, a totally different trailer than online with more gore and spoilers, which looked way more low than the film feels) but very rarely feels like it. Some jokes may have more corn factor than others, but most work. Once it's going, it's going.

16. springjack

springjack New Member

It?s a buy for me then.
    ________
    Public Movies

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011