KICHIKU special edition dvd

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Erg0n, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Anyone got this release? How good is the transfer, sound, extras?

2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Diabolik DVD has it in for 17.99.

I see they have the R1 versions of the remake of Toolbox Murders and Anthropopghagous. Are these releases of good quality?

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

ordered Kichiku just yesterday. :)

4. stigdu99

stigdu99 Guest

Not sure which release you mean, as I can't see a picture there, but I have it on DVD and it's a perfectly decent release with 7/10 picture quality (for a low budget movie) and 6/10 sound. Film's rubbish, though.

5. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Just saw Kichiku for the first time an the new ARTSMAGIC 2-disc DVD set. if you are a fan of extreme asian cinema, then this is a must have. Not a drop of blood is spilled in the first hour, but after that the movie is SOAKED! totally brutal and unforgiving. I was pretty blown away.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Is full screen the correct aspect ratio for Kichiku?

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Well I got to see this earlier tonight and it does drag a bit at the beginning but there are those adrenalin charged sex clips that help keep the brain from drifting off. The mountain area scenes were gory. Much gorier than what I was expecting...which is always good.
    The final shotgun blast at the end was interesting and I felt real bad for the one dude in the tub at the end. The swordsman seemed a bit over the top for me but his end was fitting.
    A good movie over all. I now need to watch the bonus disk.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Incredibly oppressive film. I can well see a lot of people watching this and finding it complete crap to be honest. Personally, I thought it was - in the sickest way possible - pretty damn good.

It's shot much like a student film, lots of camera movement, and first person perspective. It's as though there is another character in the movie doing the filming, but they're spectre like, a ghost. Perhaps some pervading spirit that passes judgement on the characters as they dismantle their psyche's for our entertainment.

I kept channelling Last House on the Left. In the infamous scene from that film, three of the "heroes" corner a victim, carve into her flesh, and then disembowel her. Afterwards there's a look of loss, or having gone too far, stretched across Krug and Co's faces, they know there's no going back - that this will change them forever.

In this film we have a similar scene in a forest, but the victims are males - and the Krug character is a demented female Krug - tip-toeing the a precipice into insanity. The violence is petty gruesome, and from that point on it never lets up. Frankly, for me it surpasses Last House (without the meaty heritage of source material to fall back on when claims the film is pure exploitation trash).

When you get severed heads, hands, heads blown off (with people rooting through the brain matter for I don't know what), and a couple crippled with madness either eating and stabbing their way through each others genitals.... well - you know you're watching something over the edge.

What makes this one so impactful, especially over Last House (and those who think I shouldn't draw any parallels, well I apologize too), is that it doesn't cop out in some revenge finale that couldn't at all make up for the primary loss. What's lost here is humanity, and it's a shared loss among a group of students. There is not going back, no release, no sense made of what occurs. No effort is made to provide critics with excuses and literate allusions to cover the brutality. There's just emptiness.

Still, early in the film you might be forgiven for thinking you're not going to get much of anything worth while. It takes a time to get to the mad dance of death. Instead we see a gradual unwinding, the pointlessness of the situation sinking through cult like minds.

I thought, as a genre film, this really paid off.

Those are my first thoughts. This thing oozes something nasty.