King Kong and friends on DVD

Discussion in 'Classic' started by KR~!, May 5, 2004.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

When will this classic be release on DVD? Do they plan on waiting until Peter Jackson's remake is release?

Until then, I thought that I should make a thread about King Kong and his gaint ape friends, which will also serve as a check list.

King Kong (1933) The classic! One of the greatest movies of all time! No US dvd.

Other DVD releases of this flim :

UK bare-bones release :
    [​IMG]

Japanese bare-bones release DVD :
    [​IMG]

The Son of Kong (1933) The sequel to the original.

Japanese DVD cover :
    [​IMG]

Mighty Joe Young (1949) What Song of Kong should had been. Created by the same team that made the 1st two films. There is a Japanese DVD release of this movie with extras. I can not find the cover on-line.

Kingukongu tai Gojira (1962) Japanese version with a different human storyline and a great soundtrack. 98 mins.

King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) Amercian version with a different human storyline and characters and stock soundtrack and bad dubbing. 91 mins

US version DVD :
    [​IMG]

Japan DVD cover :
    [​IMG]

Kingukongu no gyakushu (1967) Japanese uncut version. 104 mins

King Kong Escapes (1968) (USA) Amercian cut version. 96 mins

Japanese DVD cover :
    [​IMG]

King Kong (1976) Remake of the 1st film

US DVD Cover :
    [​IMG]

UK DVD cover :
    [​IMG]

King Kong Lives (1986) The sequel to the remake.

Japanese DVD cover :
    [​IMG]

Mighty Joe Young (1998) Disney remake of Mighty Joe Young.

US DVD cover :
    [​IMG]

UK DVD cover :
    [​IMG]

German DVD cover :
    [​IMG]

Japanese Cover :
    [​IMG]

Those are the offical King Kong Films, I shall return with the insane King Kong Clones later.

2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Konga (1961)
    "Dr.Decker comes back from Africa after a year, presumed dead. During that year, he came across a way of growing plants and animals to an enormous size. He brings back a baby chimpanzee to test out his theory. As he has many enemies at home, he decides to use his chimp, 'Konga' to 'get rid of them'. Then Konga grows to gigantic proportions and reaks havoc all over the city of London!!"

This is no DVD of this movie out yet that I know of.
    So here the pic of the VHS cover:
    [​IMG]

Ape (1976)
    "A newly discovered 36-foot gorilla escapes from a freighter off the coast of Korea. At the same time an American actress is filming a movie in the country. Chaos ensues as the ape kidnaps her and rampages through Seoul."

US DVD cover:
    [​IMG]

The Mighty Gorga (1969)
    "A circus owner and a lady trapper trek into the African jungle to capture a giant gorilla for his circus."

US DVD Cover :
    [​IMG]

Queen Kong (1976)
    "Unseen for over 25 years American audiences can finally experience the wacky lunacy of Frank Argrama's (DAWN OF THE MUMMY) QUEEN KONG. Produced at the same time as Dino de Laurentiis' magnum opus KING KONG, this unflinching satire tackles every topic relevant to its time. Women's Liberation, Gender Role Reversal, Giant love struck Gorillas and full-blown Busby Berkely-style musical numbers…

Featuring Rula Lenska, Robin Askwith, Linda Hayden & Valerie Leon this is one outrageous movie and after years of legal exile it can now be seen and savored."

US DVD Cover :
    [​IMG]

Hsing Hsing wang (1977) aka Mighty Peking Man, The (1977)
    "Word of a monster ape ten stories tall living in the Himalayas reaches fortune hunters in Hong Kong. They travel to India to capture it, but wild animals and quicksand dissuade all but Johnny, an adventurer with a broken heart. He finds the monster and discovers it's been raising a scantily-clad woman, Samantha, since she survived a plane crash years before that killed her parents. In the idyllic jungle, Johnny and Samantha fall in love. Then Johnny asks her to convince "Utam" to go to Hong Kong. Lu Tien, an unscrupulous promoter, takes over: Utam is in chains for freak show exhibitions. When Lu Tien assaults Samantha, Utam's protective instincts take over: havoc in Hong Kong."

US DVD cover :
    [​IMG]

Well, there you have it! All of the King Kong Clones are really, really out of control and just insane, and they are all great in that it's so bad it's good kind of way. Worth owning them all, I sure wish Konga was on DVD. I still can't belive nearly all the clones made their way to DVD but the real Kong movies haven't in the US, sigh.

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

last i heard, the original kong is coming out this year. WB is currently working on it.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--UK bare-bones release :--

Hm, I don't know what your definition of a "bare bones disc" is, but you really shouldn't ovrlook the excellent 25 minute behind the scenes documentary on the Brit release. It also has a five page text "The Films of King Kong" on it too, which is interesting.

I have owned the UK release for a couple of years and really enjoy it. WB are going to have to do something very special to make me rebuy it. I'm sure glad I bought this film years ago and have been able to enjoy it :)

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm willing to bet they will wait to cash in on Peter Jackson's remake. Either way, King Kong is easily one of my most anticipated DVD releases.

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

ah thank you for that info. When I checked Amazon.uk no mention was made of any extras.

There is also a Brazilan release that is making the rounds on Ebay.
    Brazilan cover :
    [​IMG]

7. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

That looks like original poster art - which is very nice.

9. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

10. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

what does that movie have to do with anything? There were no gaint apes in that film, and it was really bad.

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Here are some cool pics from the famous cut scene in King Kong...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

According to an official interview over at The Digital Bits King Kong is being painstakingly restored for a 2-disc release by the end of 2004; "Will blow you away"; "Kong will now fall from the Empire State Building without gaps"

I am so fuckin` pysched for this. Of course the spider sequence would be killer, but that footage is considered lost from the face of the earth.

I don't know where the hell Mighty Joe Young is at, but it's the last link we need for the complete Ray Harryhausen collection. I hope they can restore the original coloring during the fire sequence.

13. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Where is Mighty Joe Young and Son of Kong? Maybe good old Jeter Jackson will be needed for those two to be release.

I sure hope that the King Kong DVD will be release this year.

14. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

the eyes on that spider are horrible! but id love to see it anyways

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-the eyes on that spider are horrible! but id love to see it anyways-

Erm, it's the 30's, man. Everything about the film is pretty horrible in the terms of today. But it's the original King Kong, and for what they had to battle on the day, they did great :)

16. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Nope. Who gives a shit there were no giant apes, it was pretty good and most definitely a lot better than Disney's "Mighty Joe Young".

17. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

What the hell is a "gaint" ape anyway?

In honor of Yowie's rebel spirit, I'll submit the following...

[​IMG]

:p

18. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

yeah i know it was the 30's and that excuses most of the special effects but im sure they had enough basic knowledge of spiders to know that they dont have human-looking googly eyes :D

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

You should stay away from "Black Scorpion" :D

20. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

oh yes i took one look at the dvd cover at a store and laughed my ass off