King Kong

Discussion in 'Classic' started by speanroc, Nov 5, 2004.

1. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

the original 1933 classic KING KONG is on cable t.v. tonight, i haven't seen this film since i was a youth, the 1976 version seems to always be on , but i hardly see this one televised , sorry to dedicate a whole thread on this ,but this film is a classic and i have been wanting to see this again for years, anyone else appreciate this film as much as i do, also is there a legit u.s. DVD release of this film yet?

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't think there is a legit US release, it seems to come ON schedules and then drops off. I have the R2 DVD, which is pretty damn good, and cost me very little.

Worth seeing, but then, you don't need to be told that.

3. Alexander

Alexander Guest

Eagerly waiting for the restored SE, soon to be released by Warner.
    They´re giving the movie a "Citizen Kane"-like, frame-by-frame cleaning up.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Is there a date on that? As I said, it seems to get release dates and to then be kicked back.

5. Alexander

Alexander Guest

Nope, no release date yet. Methinks they´re going to sit on it until Peter Jackson´s KING KONG gets made.

6. Damed

Damed Guest

Agreed. They will probably release this around the same time Jackson's Kong hits.

7. Is it the Double DVD with both the 1933 and the 1976 versions coming out next year , as i believe i read somewhere that a double is being released .

8. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I looooovvvve the origional King Kong. Along with the classic Mighty Joe Young, and even Son of Kong too. I know from earlier threads that dwatts isn't too thrilled with yet another remake of this 1933 classic, but I salivate at the thought of what Peter Jackson can bring to this sci-fi icon after seeing his work on LotR. And the 1976 remake is a big guilty pleasure of mine.

9. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Has anyone seen those online video diaries Peter Jackson been putting up on the filming of his remake?? Those sets make me drool. This is gonna be a really special film... I love the original. But PJ's film will be amazing. There was some blue screen stuff where a bunch of those sailors are on this big raft (like in the original) and they are shooting at something. I see rifles and tommy guns going off!!! Anyway, next December is such a long ways away. Damn.

10. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I have an NTSC release from Korea. I bought it on Ebay. The transfer is a big improvement compared to the many VHS versions. The DVD is in English w/removeable Korean subtitles. The disc also includes a trailer, cast & crew, Photo Gallery and a Making Of Featurette. I highly recommend this release if you can't wait for the R1.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I love the original KONG,one of the true touchstones of the genre.A full restoration is in the works right now,a dvd release in the U.S. is slated for 2005.

12. Criswell

Criswell New Member

The uncut version of Kong is the greatest sci-fi/horror film ever. Simple.

Everything else from then on is just derivitive.

P.S I don't regard Psycho as a true horror film.

13. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

i dont see how that is possible, since Warner is releasing 1933 version and Paramount has 1976 version

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Heh heh. I have still yet to watch the LOTR films, having only seen bits and pieces of them. The CGI was not particularly good, and a CGI laden Kong doesn't fill me with much glee. We must wait and see, but yeah, it's not something I exactly salivate over.

If you're into the Universal films, then it is hard to imagine not being into the original Kong. It has a similar vibe, coming from around the same time. It's also a fairly long film, given that many films of the time clocked in at a little over an hour.

THe copy I have is also good quality, so a new version will mostly be judged by me on extras. Still, it's an easy sell one would think. When you come to think of it, its rather silly this title isn't out in R1.

15. Alexander

Alexander Guest

Not likely. The original King Kong is now owned by Warner (and produced by RKO), while the remake was made by Paramount.

It´s a pirate edition.

16. Alexander

Alexander Guest

One of the various rumours I´ve heard about the super-duper special edition from Warner is that it will include "Son of Kong" as an extra.

Well, that´s not a stretch. Warner is known to put entire movies as "extras" on their special releases (i.e. the TV version of Casablanca, the all-silent version of The Gold Rush, an entire episode of "Maverick" on The Unforgiven, the old version of House of Wax, and so on). And let´s not forget that "Son of Kong" is barely one-hour long, so it fits.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

King Kong's one of my favorites, and I can't help but get psyched by the idea that they may have found the original deleted spider footage. It's a long shot, perhaps the longest shot in all of restoration history since the original producer cut it with such vengence, but every time I think about Warner's wordings it just seems magically possible. But I won't let myself be let down if it's off.

I've got the LD, the other one besides Criterion w/ commentary, but this is a title which should have been released on DVD the first year DVD's came out. I find it insulting that Europe got it first and so soon while we still wait, King Kong's perhaps our proudest achievement. :D To hell with Gone With the Wind or Citizen Kane, King Kong's the most globally known and respected me thinks.

18. Alexander

Alexander Guest

I like Citizen Kane and Gone With The Wind, but I LOVE the original King Kong.

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'm not expecting any new footage. But you're right on the money about DVD releases, how this one slept so long in R1 is anyones guess. Well, it's madness actually. Especially given the horror titles that have been released.