Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Jan 6, 2015.

1. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Well that's disappointing but I'll still buy it until a better version comes along. I'll wait for one of their sales though

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

People are saying it's better than the MK2 disc and that it is using a master approved by Lynch so it's accurate. It's just not going to be as good as it could be with a new 4k master.

Tim Lucas's commentaries are the only ones I go out of my way for so it chaps my hide more than it should that it got scrapped. It would have been a rare treat to get commentary on a David Lynch film and Lucas's would be great to hear. But Lynch is Lynch so I'm not surprised he asked for it to be 86'ed and I don't disagree it's disappointing we don't get a new master. But Kino is Kino, much like Shout is Shout, and just about the only thing they bring to the table are some extras. So Lynch killed the only thing this release had going for it.

I hate to say it but I'll probably be holding out. I'm at the point now with UHD slowly but surely rolling out that it takes something special to be done on Blu-ray for me to pick it up. It sucks though because Lost Highway has been so neglected on home video. But I'll be sticking with my old German DVD for awhile longer it seems.

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Fuckfuckfuck. I was really looking forward to this. I pre-ordered it from B&N but may have to cancel until the rights get picked up elsewhere.

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Kino Lorber Studio Classics has issued a statement regarding their “Lost Highway” release.

Lost Highway

“We reached out to Mr. Lynch via email to oversee and color grade a new 4K transfer (from the original camera negative) and get his approval on the dozen or so extras we had planned to include. Once we knew he was not interested in working with us, we had no choice, but to go ahead with the current Universal master and the few extras we had already produced and acquired. To our surprise, the master in question was a very good one, so we were happy to release it with some extras. We found out later that the extras and packaging also had to be approved by him (not the norm) and we sent email after email without one response. We delayed the release by a month, hoping we could at least get him to approve the trailer, the essay and our packaging, at this point we knew the interview and commentary were not possible, but after a few more weeks, we dropped the essay, the trailer and changed our front art to the previously approved DVD art. The BD only includes the film on a dual-layered BD50 disc, maxing out the feature at 30mbps with 5.1 surround and 2.0 lossless audio. We were planning to take the high road and not play the blame game, but after his tweet this weekend, we felt like we had to respond.

We’re still huge David Lynch fans and are proud to release one of his masterpieces on Blu-ray.”

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Could be he said, she said, but it sounds like lynch has been the giant arsehole here. If he didn't want to play ball he should shut the fuck up.

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

There's an interesting comment that was posted by, allegedly, the cinematographer on IndieWire's reporting of the story...

JUNE 23, 2019 11:33 AM:
    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/david-lynch-lost-highway-blu-ray-1202152275/

... to which Kino Lorber Insider responded...

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16552928&postcount=812

There's more to the story than either side is telling and I can only assume that one or more parties aren't telling or can't tell the whole truth.

othervoice1 and Katatonia like this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

This account seems very straight forward; not a lot of wiggle room for "he said she said" speculation except for WHY Lynch didn't want to play ball. Knowing Lynch is could literally be anything.

Lynch would have to approve a new transfer even if the DP was involved, and since Lynch has given them nothing but static I'm guessing Kino decided not to pursue working with the DP on something they aren't certain would get approval. The only other thing to say to Peter Deming is "if you have an open channel to Lynch by all means convince HIM."

They planned some great extras, learned Lynch hates extras and is black balling them, so Kino took their loses and did what they could instead. If Lynch has a problem with it, Kino's only doing what they are allowed to do by HIS LEGAL AGREEMENTS.

I love Lynch and I'm not one to give Kino a pass but that doesn't mean I agree to all his stipulations or that Kino isn't making any sense.

What this absolutely makes clear is that there is no hope of Tim Lucas's commentary making it to another edition. If he can release it in some way that would be awesome. My only concern is that Lynch would forever black ball him which as a media journalist Lucas would have to heavily consider. I don't hold out much hope for that coming out. Even if Lucas permanently deleted it I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch held it against him anyways simply for innocently making it and being in league with Kino. Maybe Lucas will release it knowing that he's already in the dog house.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

We'll probably never know the WHOLE truth here, but Lynch and Deming both come across badly. Kino has a lot more to lose by lying--and their version of events seems reasonable and credible. Deming must think film buffs are all idiots. Hey Peter, PLENTY of outstanding blu-ray transfers have come from elements other than original camera negatives. Calling transfers that don't come from negatives "useless" is utterly ridiculous.

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Blu-Ray.com review of Lost Highway: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lost-Highway-Blu-ray/79184/#Review

If I'm reading between the lines, accurately, it appears Kino wanted to do an OCN transfer, but the whole thing may have fallen apart due to issues between Universal (the likely owners of the US dupe negative) and mk2 (the French company that seems to own the OCN). I have a feeling mk2 simply wasn't willing to grant access to the OCN to Universal / Kino. Kino may have offered a restoration of the dupe negative as an alternative, but Lynch being Lynch, this was probably an unacceptable compromise. C'est la vie.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16552928&postcount=812

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=16556775#post16556775

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=16556794#post16556794

chancetx likes this.
  10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sounds good to me. A rare transfer Kino didn't screw up some how? Maybe with all the headaches they had they just dumped it on disc without tinkering any more with the master and gave us a straight unadultered transfer after all.

gobad2003 likes this.
  11. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

This is actually causing me to order it. It doesnt have to be perfect under those conditions, you just have to have tried your best, which it appears they did, and it doesnt appear to have been easy. If the picture wasnt up to standards, it appears the sweat was.

12. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I'll get this release during one of the Kino sales and if a better edition comes down the road then I'll get that.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

KLSC October releases:

10/1 Wanted: Dead or Alive (1987) | Ffolkes (1989) | Storm of the Century (1999) DVD only | Death Dreams (1991) DVD only | Trilogy of Terror II (1996)

10/8 Nightmare Beach (1988) | Baby Blood (1990) | My Boyfriend's Back (1993) | The Monster (1994)

10/15
    And Soon the Darkness (1970) | Sudden Terror (Eyewitness) (1970) | The Mind Benders (1963) | Queen of Spades (1949)

10/22
    Parasite (1982) 3-D | Zoltan... Hound of Dracula (Dracula's Dog) 1977) | Phobia (1980)

10/29
    Nightmare in Badham County (1976) | Kundun (1997) | New York Stories (1989)

chancetx likes this.
  14. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

So happy And Soon the Darkness will be available again. Of course I just got the long OOP Anchor Bay DVD last year, but that's fine. Had been wanting to see the movie for quite some time.

15. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Wow. I already have every movie on that list.

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

KLSC is having their 5th anniversary sale. Site is a little slow now, but I was able to get the following for just under $100:

Link (Special Edition) $13.49
    Black Moon Rising (Special Edition) $13.49
    Barton Fink (Special Edition) $13.49
    Color of Night (1994) (2-Disc Special Edition) $12.99
    National Lampoon's Class Reunion (Special Edition) $10.99
    Modern Girls $12.99
    My Bodyguard $12.99
    Original Gangstas $8.99

gobad2003 and chancetx like this.
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Special Features:
    • Newly Restored in HD from a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
    • The BD includes both the 3-D and 2-D Version of the Film
    • FROM THE INSIDE OUT: WRITING PARASITE - Featuring all-new interviews with writers Alan J. Adler and Michael Shoob
    • THREE DIMENSIONS OF TERROR: FILMING PARASITE - Featuring all-new interviews with director Charles Band, co-writer Alan J. Adler, production manager Charles Newirth, art director Pamela B. Warner, and make-up department head Karen Kubeck
    • SYMPHONY FOR SLIMY SLUGS: COMPOSING PARASITE - Featuring an all-new interview with composer Richard Band
    • Interview with Creature Designer and Creator Lance Anderson
    • Audio Commentary with Writer Alan J. Adler and Filmmaker/Historian Daniel Griffith
    • Restoring Parasite in 3-D
    • Still and Promotional Gallery
    • 2 TV Spots
    • Reversible Blu-ray Art
    • Theatrical Trailer

gobad2003, Erick H., wago70 and 3 others like this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys