Kong: Skull Island

Discussion in 'General' started by Harry Warden, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Can't argue with anything ZD or Workshed said.......all those facts were glaring from start to finish, but when I'm slapping on 3D glasses and kicking back to King Kong, I enjoyed turning my brain off and watching some destruction. Lack of character development was welcomed.

I stayed for the post credit scene and I honestly don't think it was worth the wait lol longest fucking credits ever. You can probably see it on youtube already anyways but whatever, it was passed midnight, wasn't in any rush to go anywhere

Zombie Dude and MisterTwister like this.
  2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Well, no one said they were expecting Oscar-winning performances. The problem is that there wasn't much to perform with, given how little was asked of anyone. Like, I can watch an action film such as Die Hard and still get great performances without expecting Oscar-worthy levels of script, etc. Here, though, it was just...nothing. I'm not blaming the actors. It was the script. It's as if it filled in the details for Reilly's character and then just stopped.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

On the character development issue. Maybe because there was a lot of characters. There wasn't just a few, it was like 12 or more that had ample screen time and lines. If there wasn't so many than there wouldn't have been such a high body count. Instead it would have Jurassic Park with 4 people running around on an island. I liked the fact that you weren't sure who was gonna die or not. I liked the fact that there was two groups split up doing their own thing. As far as Samuel Jackson, I thought he did a really good job. Refreshing to see him play a "normal" character. In fact it was nice to see all the soldiers not playing so over the top. I've seen enough movies where they bring in a super task force that can handle anything. Example Predator. These guys in Kong, were not that. Just regular soldiers following their orders. They were legitimately scared about the findings of the island and wanted out just like all the other characters. I cared about them. The packed audience I was at thought so too. You could tell by their reactions when they met their demise.

And like I stated before nobody was annoying imo. Even the scientists/Monarch people. Every character once they encountered "Kong" the islands dangers wanted to get out and head for extraction. This wasn't a evil Tim Curry character in Congo, going crazy and wanting to find diamonds or something, wanting to stay. Only one person had other plans, and really if you think about it, it wasn't selfish. He had a legit, non crazy reason. And you know what? he actually accomplished his goal(well sorta) But think about, he really did.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Harry Warden and Steel76 like this.
  4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I respect your guys opinion on the matter but I don't particularly understand it.

Carry on.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Workshed likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'd agree if we weren't made to spend so much time with these hollow characters. To me it fell into the same weird trap Godzilla did where they didn't want to show too much of the monster but didn't care to write interesting characters either. Sure we see more Kong here than we did of Godzilla in his movie but he doesn't do much either. His scenes feel short and go by so quick, then you're back with the human characters again. If those characters were better written and more interesting then I wouldn't have a problem.

I watched the DC of Aliens again the other day and it's actually a long wait into the movie till you get to see the creatures, but the characters are so well written and interesting that I couldn't care less.

6. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Man, you are obviously a tough nut to crack..LOL. I really liked the characters in Godzilla. I thought Brian Cranston was particularly good for his small part and I really liked his son. You didn't feel any empathy for them? Really? Especially when the son learns his father's fight wasn't all in vain..that he was right all along. Man, what the heck do you guys want from these films? I loved Godzilla too. Very well done in my book. Maybe you should just shy away from the next two..LOL.

7. Zombie Dude

I thought Brian Cranston was great in Godzilla but then they stupidly killed him off and left us with his far less interesting son. Plus what a joke it was to cut away from Godzilla everytime something was finally going down. The film's called Godzilla for God sake, give us the big green guy and don't make the focus about the he enemy monster. I loved the Godzilla bits but felt cheated that he was hardly in it.
    Anyway here's a video from a massive Godzilla fan and his thoughts. I agree with what he says and that's pretty much how I feel about it too.

8. MisterTwister

LMAO it didn't want to show too much of the monster in Skull Island? Did we see the same movie?

Meeseeks we did not.

And I love Rolfe but he ultimately said Godzilla '98 was a more entertaining film.

I stopped taking him seriously after that

Also Godzilla is not green but charcoal gray. In fact I believe he was only truly green in 2000.

9. Zombie Dude

I got to agree with him that Zilla was more fun and entertaining. Plus he acknowledges it's flaws as we all know that one is far from perfect. These new films seem missguided imo.

10. MisterTwister

Alrighty.

11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

He is well spoken and does pose different ideas, but none that I agree with. I thought the new Hollywood Godzilla was nearly perfect as released.

MisterTwister likes this.
  12. Zombie Dude

I can respect that. For me the new Godzilla was not what I was hoping for and didn't connect with me. I wanted to like it and was super excited to see it but left the cinema feeling kind of cheated.

13. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Saw this last night. Although I enjoyed the film overall, and the final battle was fantastic, I have to agree that the characters in the film were very flat and uninteresting. It didn't help that most of the action scenes are partially spoiled by the trailers. There was hardly anything new that was not briefly shown. The end credit scene certainly has me super excited for the coming films in the series. Overall a 7/10 for me.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. MisterTwister

I respect Rolfe (and ZD) but I can't wrap my head around thinking Godzilla '98 is the more entertaining film. I just can't. But I'm still perfectly cool with them thinking that.

Hell I've been a fan of Rolfe for a long time but when it comes to newer films I very rarely agree with him. That's perfectly fine. I know I have some crazy opinions as well. At the end of the day all that matters is everyone has a better opinion than DVD-Fan 9.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

That's not a thing.

Not even figuratively. When people say it, what they're actually saying is "I don't want to admit I'm not analytical to begin with."

That's not a thing either, TwatMaster. (Master of being a twat.) Opinions cannot be ranked.

16. MisterTwister

Can't wait to see Godzilla: King of Monsters.

Steel76, Harry Warden and SaviniFan like this.
  17. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Good post. Very beneficial. Why don't you do someone a favor on this site, and actually leave your creepy fucking basement and go actually SEE a movie, give your thoughts on it, and make yourself fucking useful. Useless combative prick. Every single solitary member on this board I've benefited from, getting their thoughts and opinions on movies, old and new. Not you though..... when's the last time you've gone to the theater, you creep?

And the phrase "turning my brain off" is a very figurative "THING" as you like to call everything. It's called a popcorn flick. One you can sit back and relax and not have to follow characters......

Steel76 likes this.
  18. MisterTwister

I take it your responding to a classic DVD fan rant/post/thing?

I could look at it but life is too short.

zompirejoe and Steel76 like this.
  19. DVD-fanatic-9

I was right, you were wrong. Deal with it.

And, as usual, you can't even read me correctly. I am not combative. I am almost never even so hyperbolic as to exaggerate my tone. What I did was correct you and you didn't like it. Poor whitey. What you said in the first place was your way of trying to set something or keep something established which actually does NOT benefit the culture of entertainment. Sure, not everyone should analyze things all the time. Most people are not good at it. But everyone can think and does think, and you saying they don't or they shouldn't is MUCH worse than what you claim I am doing.

Deal with that, too. It's just as true as my first post.

Sucka.

20. DVD-fanatic-9

I'm going to pay $10 to see exactly jack shit one-time. I invest in home video because, then, I can see a film multiple times.

And, then, I also don't tend to pay top-dollar prices for millennial films. (Although, I'm okay with paying something like $15 for a film as good as The Nightmare.) $10 for 1 month of Netflix is much smarter.

There. An opinion. On a movie. That I saw. (I share opinions on movies I've seen all the time. You complain when I do that too. Can't exactly win with you.)