"Krull" (1983, Peter Yates)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Uncle Jay, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

In July 1983, two months after I witnessed what would be the last installment (for a long while anyway) of "Star Wars," I witnessed another cool sci-fi flick that pretty much came from nowhere. I'm talking about the epic sci-fi fantasy film, "Krull."

A cross between "Star Wars" and "Excalibur," "Krull" follows the story of Prince Colwyn (Ken Marshall) who is about to be married to the beautiful Princess Lyssa (Lysette Anthony). However the Beast, a giant alien tyrant has traveled to the planet Krull, via his space castle known as The Black Fortess, with plans to conquer the Earth-like world and taking Princess Lyssa as his own bride. The Beast steals the Princess on her wedding day, by destroying her father's kingdom and all its people with his army of Slayers; all except for Colwyn.

Colwyn is found by the old and wise Ynyr (Freddie Jones), who tells Colwyn of the Beast and the journey he must endure to get back his bride. But the first stop is to obtain the Glaive, a flying star-blade capable of powers that will help fight the Beast. Along the way, Colwyn and Ynyr meet up with Ergo, a wacky magician (David Battley), a small band of outlaws (Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane among them) and Rell the Cyclops (Bernard Bresslaw), all who join-up in the journey against the Beast.

It's no doubt that "Krull" is a formula film. I mean all of us who adore "Star Wars" can see what Columbia was trying to bank on here, but "Krull" does have a heart. A Saturday Matinee classic if you will. What I liked about it was the science-fiction mixed with medieval times. Directed by two-time Oscar-nominee Peter Yates, primarily known for the Steve McQueen classic, "Bullitt" and the critically acclaimed bicycle flick, "Breaking Away," and written by Stanford Sherman, veteran scribe of a handful of TV's "Batman" episodes, "Krull" is a nicely done sci-fi adventure. Great fun and entertaining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-UJ

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I didn't remember a lot about this film, but it was on Universal HD recently and I DVR'd it, so I'm looking forward to watching it, especially after your review!

3. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

You'll get tons of love for this film from me. I LOVE KRULL!! I have a major soft spot for the sword and shield epics from the 80s (Ridley Scott's "Legend" being my all time favourite). Being a film soundtrack enthusiast, I have to say that this is James Horner's finest hour, too.

It may contain many missed opportunities and cheesy moments, but Krull is still a masterpiece in my opinion.

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

A lot of people dump all over it. I love it, personally. And this is considering I watched it just as recently as a year ago.

As a caveat, it definitely has aged...for those who go into it without the nostalgia factor.

I apply this view to Clash of the Titans, also. Which I do find far more superior than Krull, still.

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Eh... not for me. It drags a little and I'm just not a sci-fi/LOTR fantasy type guy. That said, there were some good effects and "moments"

The Atari 2600 game was awesome though.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Word! As was the board game!!! :D

7. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Nostalgia is all Krull holds for me now, I think... I liked it when I was younger (about 13), but I saw it again recently and thought it had aged badly. (though I'm willing to consider that I aged badly, and the movie hasn't changed).

It was still fun for nostalgic reasons, but I was more aware of its shortcomings than I ever had been before.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Not great but I recall it being likeable enough.Nice art direction and solid effects.The score by James Horner was big but used many of his familiar motifs (from BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS,STAR TREK 2 etc).Cast was fair,fun seeing up and comers like Neeson (who's also in EXCALIBUR).I've always liked Freddie Jones. Lysette Anthony has done a fair amount of genre work since then(the DARK SHADOWS revival,TRILOGY OF TERROR 2).It was an odd blend of a LORD OF THE RINGS style ''quest" story mixed in with a post STAR WARS fantasy.Not groundbreaking,but nostalgic fun.

Question:It's been a while since I've seen this,is the sound effect that's used every time a slayer is killed the same sound effect used in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK when R2-D2 is spit out by the swamp monster and goes flying through the air ?

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I actually enjoy Krull more now that I'm older than when I was younger. The pace always seemed to be a little slower than similar films of the era, but I think that actually works in favor of the film for the most part.

10. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Another good review from Jay... Krull is loads of fun. I like how you can view the Marvel comic on the DVD.

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Krull is memorable for me in that it's the first movie I saw in a theater that I didn't like. I haven't seen it since. Even with the unjaded eyes of a 9 year old I thought it was pretty crap. I always liked the weapon, though. If I had both that and the Sword from "Sword and the Sorceror" I would've ruled the world!