kuroneko

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dwatts, Oct 6, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Onibaba is a great film. I first came across it on a Criterion release. I loved it so much I even upgraded to the R2 edition from Eureka because it has a better print (with better framing). So call me a real fan.

I knew of this film, but hadn't watched it until tonight. I'm spellbound.

I'd never denigrate Onibaba, it's a terrific piece of cinema. Little did I know that Shindรด had actually bettered the film with Kuroneko. Bettered in the sense that it plays as wonderful theater, mixing and matching different levels of melodrama and minimalist stage setups.

The plot itself is a more traditional ghost story - with vengeful spirits returning to exact justice on Samurai. Melodrama plays a part as a son, now Samurai, returns from the wars as a hero - with the head of the enemy in a backpack. Eternal damnation or love?

Stunning black and white photography - superb soundtrack (the opening track has echoes of Suspiria in it) - some great wire work and surreal set pieces combine to inject fear, pathos, and sentimentality into the film.

It's just brilliant.

Sadly, the print is a bit soft, but no matter. Such a superb film, absolutely one fo the best pieces of asian cinema I have ever seen. This instantly rises into my top five asian films.

Hope more of you have experienced this.

2. jefff

jefff Guest

I love Onibaba and I just recently found out about this film, so I'm planning on picking up the Eureka disc at some point... Shindo is a truly amazing filmmaker.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I didn't even check to see if this had an R1 release - surprised Criterion haven't picked it up. Eureka having another of Shindo's films as well - but it's not a horror title.

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I have the Eureka! MoC release of this sitting on my shelf (as well as the other film of his they released, The Naked Island), but have watched neither. I should really get on that, considering how great Onibaba is :eek:

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Please lt us know how Naked Island is. I'm thinking of getting that one too.

6. Numania

Numania Guest

I've had Naked Island on my shelf for probably a year. I should watch that sometime! I tend to forget that I haven't checked it out yet. I love the MoC releases.