Lady Snowblood 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by BloodMan, Jan 20, 2004.

1. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Has anyone seen these films? They are both out now on region 2 PAL DVD. I heard Tarantino got his idea for Oren Ishii in Kill Bill from these movies. I just want some opinions on these films before I buy them. (bloody? action?) :)

Nick

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've heard ABOUT them, but never seen them.

My understanding is that it's about a woman who is raped, and raises her daughter to kill those who attacked her. So, it sounds like a combination of O-ren and the Bride.

I do want to see this someday though

3. taxidriver6

taxidriver6 New Member

Copied shots, chapter title cards, characters, complete sets and set designs, etc. Yep, I'd say it's more than obvious this is another one Tarantino ripped off.

Lady Snowblood is part Revenge flick, part drama, part action with plenty of blood and swordfights to appease all genre fans. I have both, but part 1 is the only one I've watched thus far. I have the Region 2 PAL versions, though I believe the company that put out the Region 1 Babycart discs is also releasing Snowblood here.

4. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

It's been listed on the Mondo Digital upcoming releases list for some time now. Actually it's supposed to be out today, but I don't see it anywhere. Are the region 2 PAL discs good releases?

5. BloodMan

Tarantino has said that he was inspired by these movies for the character of Oren Ishii and the Bride in Kill Bill. The song played after the fight between Oren and the Bride in Kill Bill is actually from Lady Snowblood... and sung by the actress in that film. :) So I wouldn't totally say rip off.

Nick

6. taxidriver6

taxidriver6 New Member

When does homage become out right stealing???

Nick, I'm aware of Tarantino's comments, but I do believe there's a difference between being inspired by something and just blatantly copping something as your own. With as much stuff he used in Kill Bill from various sources, he should've given credit to those films; especially Lady Snowblood and They Call Me One Eye. Chances are that most people won't ever see these two "original" films, but critics and Tarantino fans will still find it necessary to call Tarantino an "original" voice.

That is such a farce!!!

And besides, the only reason he fessud up to this was because he didn't want another Reservoir Dogs/City On Fire/Film Threat fiasco on his hands.

Ralph

Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  7. BloodMan

Simmer down Ralph. :)
    Tarantino made Kill Bill because of his love for those 70's grindhouse films like what Lucas and Spielberg did with the Indian Jones thing (serials from the 40's) :) I don't recall seeing credits for special thanks and stuff at the end of those films... or most movies nowadays. Everybody rips off everybody.
    Anywho, I'm gonna go ahead and order these Snowblood flicks.

Nick

8. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Anyway, does anyone know what became of the discs that were to be released on the twentieth? Also, are the region 2 dvds intact and of decent quality? taxidriver6, any information you have on the PAL discs would be appreciated.

9. taxidriver6

taxidriver6 New Member

Sorry about that, Egg Shen. The PAL discs are non-anamorphic letterbox with easy to read subs. Pictures have some specs and the colors are a little washed out. Also, the picture gets a little soft now and then, but nothing overly annoying. Has a few extras, but nothing to write home about. They are good presentations, but Aenigmo I believe is cleaning the video up, as well as being anamorphic. I would be safe to say that the quality will be better on the R1 discs whenever they come out!? I'd say get hold out if u can, but if not, it's not a bad buy if you can get a good price on them. Hope this helps.

10. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Thanks. I think I’ll go for the PAL disc since the region one disc is nowhere in sight.

11. taxidriver6

taxidriver6 New Member

Taken directly from Animeigo's site...

January 22 - Samurai Status: "Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades", "Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril", "Lady Snowblood", and "Zatoichi in Desperation" are all in various stages of replication and should be available on our site throughout February!

The two remaining LW&C and Zatoichi films are still in authoring. The second Lady Snowblood DVD has just started the authoring process. All of these Samurai DVDs should be completed and available for purchase by late spring (if not sooner). Dates will be announced as the projects get closer to completion.

January 14, 2004 - Zatoichi The Blind Swordsman: "Zatoichi: The Festival of Fire" won't be in stores until this summer, but you can get it today through our website! And you won't have to wait long for more Zatoichi films. Replication on the fourth film, "Zatoichi at Large", is wrapping up and should be ready for purchase next week. Authoring for "Zatoichi in Desperation" has just concluded, and DVD replication will get underway this week. The sixth movie, "Zatoichi's Conspiracy", is in authoring. The film for "Zatoichi Meets the One-Armed Swordsman" has just finished. Preproduction for authoring has begun.

12. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I believe that all of "Kill Bill" was intended to play homage to many, many films. Tarantino does not deny that, in fact that's the entire point of the film.

Regardless, the real question remains: where did the idea of "Lady Snowblood" come from... or should I phrase is as: what piece of film / literature / play did "Lady Snowblood" rip off?

13. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Thanks for that information. I guess their titles are a little obscure because I don’t see them listed by any online retailers.

14. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Have you even seen THEY CALL HER ONE EYE? If so, you'd know that KILL BILL has practically nothing in common with it, other than an eye-patch.

Animeigo's titles are available from their website a while before they are solicited through the normal channels. I suggest waiting for their release of LADY SNOWBLOOD, as their LONE WOLF discs are absolutely beautiful, besting all other versions.

15. taxidriver6

taxidriver6 New Member

Yes, bruce h, I HAVE SEEN ONE EYE! Granted, it was a little bit of a stretch on my part to reference that particular film, but I could go into several other films that were cribbed; as I'm sure you're aware of also. Point is, just because someone says "This is my homage to ..." doesn't give them free rein to venture into the area of plagiarism which in my opinion he did. This guy's entire career is nothing but taking the best parts of rarely seen films (mostly Asian) and pawning them off as his own creation. Yeah, yeah yeah, there are no original ideas left - but damn, at least try.

16. BloodMan

Not his entire career... Jackie Brown was based on a book. (Rum Punch) :) Pretty much I guess. Still, I love this man's movies!

17. BloodMan

Lady Snowblood DVD is available at animeigo's site now. I just ordered it. Weeeee!!

Nick

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Did you watch it yet? Care to give us a little minireview? I have been thinking of ordering these but wanted to hear what some of you guys had to say about the quality first.

Edited to add: I just noticed that Lady Snowblood 1 & 2 are being released in the US on May 11th. They are pretty reasonably priced at deepdiscountdvd too. This is a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2004
  19. BloodMan

I have the first Lady Snowblood US DVD... released by Animeigo in Feb I believe. It's an alright movie. The blood is very "paintish" but it does spray alot from time to time. The story bounces around alot and it's an overall depressing type of feeling. There is no happiness in this woman's life. Just revenge. Worth a viewing or two. :)