Laid to Rest a new slasher film coming to dvd Apr 21st 2009

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by fceurich39, Jan 26, 2009.

1. marcx

marcx New Member

watched this last night--cool kills, cool slasher, plot was a little thin but I still had a blast with it...

2. geeare

geeare Guest

meh, i didn't care for it. watched it last weekend and I just couldn't wait for it to be over. acting was atrocious and it just didn't hold my attention. some may like it if it's just kills you're after.

3. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I just finished watching it and it has to be the most disappointing film I've seen in a long while, not the worst film, just the most disappointing. I've been eagerly anticipating this film since I first heard about it, and the flood of positive reviews surely helped that anticipation but ... man ... what a letdown! Literally the only thing this movie had going for it was the gore and kills. The characters range from uninteresting to annoying to downright pointless, and the acting only hinders them further. The only semi-interesting character was Kevin Gage's Tucker, simply because, when you meet him, you assume he'll be some scumbag but he turns out to be a really nice guy. Other than that, they're all bland or, in the case of the two raving teenagers, over-the-top annoying. The movie starts out at its worst, with annoying Saw-style editing, and barely manages to pick itself up from there. Characters are introduced, Don't Go in the Woods style, only to be picked off moments later. It would all be laughable if it weren't taking itself so damned serious, and if it weren't somewhat competently made. Robert Hall seems like a great guy, and he's a super make-up artist, but he fails to deliver in this film, both as a director and, especially, as a screenwriter. The story is non-existent and the dialogue is atrocious. Lastly, the film lacks a pulse, with the kills all coming without much energy or tension, and the characters acting like they've all been drugged. All in all, a HUGE disappointment but I suppose it MIGHT be worth a rental for the gore.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Saw this today as well and although it was OK I agree that it was disappointing especially after really enjoying Lightning Bug. It did have some great kills though I have to give it that. It needed more suspense better characters and a more engulfing score wouldn't have hurt.

5. geeare

geeare Guest

this, to me, is what makes it laughable.

6. Kolpitz

I guess I should've said that I feel bad laughing at it because it's obvious that Hall is really trying to make a fun slasher film. Most bad, DTV entries feel like the filmmakers were just trying to sell a product and didn't put much effort into it. Even though this film ultimately fails, at least Hall was trying. Truthfully, though, I was a little too bored with the film to laugh at it.

7. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Just picked up the Unrated Director's Cut of Laid to Rest at Walmart this weekend for $9.96. I was shocked that they were selling it at such a cheap price.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

They usually have Anchor Bay titles such as this at that price. It has to be some kind of marketing deal with Anchor Bay/Starz. I always check there first (as much as I hate going in the store) since it's so much cheaper than elsewhere.

9. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

Yeah Walmart can dictate cheaper pricing from smaller studios like Anchor Bay/Starz. Without Walmart's support on a title like Laid to Rest, they are sure to miss their corporate $$ needed to break even or be profitable. So they sell the product to them less than what other retailers paying for it. As much as this hurts other independent retailers who pay more for the product, (I agree with Katatonia..I hate shopping at Walmart as well) the prices are almost too low to pass up.

10. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Yeah that's where I bought it. I knew it was going to suck ass. Still for $9.99 I was like meh fuck it! Oh oh this movie sucks more than anything that's ever sucked before. Pointless horrible script & a waste of acting and gore.

11. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

A few of the kills were cool, but overall this was just a forgettable turd. Also, people need to stop shooting on HD if they can't make it look better than home videos. You'd be better off shooting on 16mm or something.

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Same here. I haven't watched it yet though.

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i checked it out finally last night i thought it was good and loved the kills and gore but it still was a letdown for me when comparing it to the other 2 anchorbay slasher films behind the mask and hatchet it ranks 2nd better than hatchet but not behind the mask

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I loved hatchet so hopefully this one will be right up my alley.

Oh, and you are kind of contradicting yourself here. First you say it was a let down compared to Hatchet and Behind the Mask, then you say you liked it better then Hatchet?

15. fceurich39

i like hatchet but again i was disapointed laid to rest and hatchet i kinda like equally but in different ways i guess very hard to explain

16. Kolpitz

I loved both Hatchet and Behind the Mask but I didn't like Laid to Rest, beyond the gore / kills.

17. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I saw this tonight and for $10, it wasn't too bad. That knife was freekin rad though.

18. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Your too damn easily pleased Homer. I could see some 17 year old thinking it was cool. Still you of all people you think it wasn't too bad? The shit acting ruined easily what could have been a decent film.

19. fceurich39

i do agree that the acting was very bad but i still enjoyed it but still was very disapointed by it

20. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

This wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but had alot of problems. The script sucked as did most of the acting...I would say it had plot holes...but it barely had a plot to speak of. The visual appearance of the killer was like something out of a bad comic book, and his high tech look with his video camera reminded me of the silly CD cenobite in Hellraiser III. The final 'reveal' of the "identity" of the main character is pretty insulting and lackluster as well. But the gore and kills kept my attention, and I guess I was entertained enough (considering this was a rental and I am not stuck keeping it). At least I enjoyed it more than My Bloody Valentine 3-D or Friday the 13th (2009).