Land of the Dead - Box Office Tracker

Discussion in 'General' started by KillerCannabis, Jun 25, 2005.

1. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I thought about putting this in with the reaction thread, but that should be reseved purely for personal reviews. This is a thread to keep track of LOTD box office results so we can predict the possibility (inevitability?) of sequels.

According to boxofficemojo.com LOTD made $4.2 million on Friday showings. If these numbers increase on Saturday and hold well on Sunday, we should be looking at a weekend gross of about $10-13 mil. Not too shabby and almost a lock for a sequel.

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Well, I didn't get to see it last night because it was sold out, if that says anything.

3. dark69

dark69 Guest

Does anyone know what the production cost was?

4. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I believe it was $20 million after re-shoots and additional footage was shot. I think Universal saw the movie and gave George some more money, I would have too.

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Land of the Dead will have no trouble making its money back, along with profit.

6. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Boxofficemojo says 40 million is what it cost.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

How is it that Dawn remake makes a ton of money and this doesn't? Is it just the name? I mean, if this were named Dawn of the Dead, would it have made a ton of money? Sucks.

8. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

They are sooo wrong. There is no way in an overcrowded hell that this cost that much. If they matched the $20 million that production cost for advertising costs (although I doubt they spent that much as I haven't even seen 1 tv spot), then maybe.

9. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

The DAWN remake came out in the spring and had no real competition other than THE PASSION, which had been out a while. LAND has a much more difficult road--summertime, sandwiched between big blockbuster releases. As much as I like seeing the movie sooner rather than later, I think box-officewise they probably should have waited for October.

I think also Romero isn't that big a selling point to the younger casual audience who flocked to the DAWN remake. But a respectable showing will be good enough, although bigger success might mean they'll give George more leeway on what happens with future films.

10. Damed

Damed Guest

?? boxofficemojo.com lists 15 million as the production budget.

Domestic Total as of Jun. 24, 2005: $4,275,000 (Estimate)
    Distributor: Universal Release Date: June 24, 2005
    Running Time: 1 hrs. 33 min.
    Production Budget: $15 million
    MPAA Rating: R Est. Marketing Costs: N/A

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=landofthedead.htm

11. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Good to see Rotten Tomatoes now has it at 76%.

12. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Production Budget: $15 million

Friday gross: $4,275,000

13. nukfut

nukfut Guest

Boxofficemojo is stating 15mil but I think I read somewhere it's closer to 17mil. Not sure what the advertising costs were. If the current estimates are correct, it should come close to breaking even by the end of the week and I'd expect it to do good business on DVD. Whether it'll do well enough for a sequel is anyone's guess. Since this is a Romero flick, I can't say I ever expected it to do boffo box office anyway.

I'm sure the teenyboppers who loved last year's Dawn remake will hate Land but as long as they get suckered into paying for a Land ticket, who cares?

14. skmastaz

skmastaz New Member

Maybe they should make a commercial with some nu-metal in it and 20 frames per second cuts. Then all the cool kids will go see it. Because they love them some limp bizkit. By the way... softball zombie is my new favorite zombie of all time.

15. nukfut

nukfut Guest

Wow, I'm not sure I've laughed that hard in weeks.

George A. Romero is my favorite motherf&*(er!!!

16. NickyDoyle

NickyDoyle Guest

Damn good numbers considering LOTD is playing in considerably less theaters than much of it's competition (Herbie: Fully Loaded is playing in 1,000+ theaters more and Land still beat it.)

17. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Woops, I was thinking of Sin City.

18. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I have a feeling foreign box office will be very good too. I'm not really too worried about whether a sequel will be made because these days they generally make them even if a film just breaks even--I'm just hoping the movie does well so that when they do make a sequel the box office will be like a vote of confidence in George and they'll put more money into it.

19. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I'd be somewhat surprised if the studio brought Romero back for any sequels. They've kept tabs on him while he made this and will glady give his play book to someone younger.

20. nukfut

nukfut Guest

Good point. There's two major theaters in close range to me, one of which isn't showing it at all.

It's a sad state of affairs when Herbie and Bewitched is considered more important than a Romero film. I weep for America.