Land of the Dead - Box Office Tracker

Discussion in 'General' started by KillerCannabis, Jun 25, 2005.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Go ahead, belittle my friends, I don't give a fuck. You obviously are missing the point, because that's EXACTLY why I'm mentioning them. I invite anybody and everybody to insult my friends. That's what they're there for. I merely posted them to show that a lot of people have "contacts" in Hollywood. I'm not using them to justify any statement I make.

No, I don't care if your friend is a horror/sci-fi writer. That doesn't mean jack. He's not part of Universal's promo dept. is he? Anything he says is merely heresay and invalid.

Contrary to what you believe, your comments about it making around 20 million dollars was never a matter of contention. Go back and check. Stop changing the subject. We're talking about how you said that LAND OF THE DEAD was promoted just as much as DAWN OF THE DEAD. THAT'S the issue! All evidence points to the contrary. If all you have to defend your statement with is something you heard through a faceless friend, please do us a favor, and shut up about it, because nobody cares what your "friend" has to say.

As far as I'm concerned, you've been nothing but insulting during this entire thread with your "Nyah, Nyah told you so" demeanor, so don't give me that "low road" tripe.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

sorry won't take that low road. But I will say you are a very confusing person through. :(

ok back to the subject, LOTD 18.5 million marketing cost. Happy now.

Dawn remake 20 million marketing cost.

Both done by Universal.

Universal runs one of most aggressive marketing departments in the business.

What don't you understand?

3. maybrick

What I don't understand is where you're getting the figure for $18.5 million as the marketing cost for LAND OF THE DEAD. Give us a link. How many times do we have to ask?

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

4. maybrick

Also, a link showing that Universal has "one of the most aggressive marketing departments in the business" would be nice while you're at it.

5. Enutz666

Enutz666 Member

I thought Land was OK, but thought it was crazy it didn't do better then the dawn remake(Land is as good or better)but it will do good enough with other markets & DVD sales to warrant another movie if Romero would want to. When studios see that this will make money I believe they would rather role the dice on a 15-20 million dollar project then a 50-100 million dollar movie.
    This has been fun reading. We got some really strong opinons bout this flick!
    We all love horror movies for many different reasons there is no reason to get in pissing contest, so Why can't we just all get along?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  6. badnewsbrown

badnewsbrown Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Don't have a link, you want a number? Never said I read it anywhere. Why do I have to keep repeating that. Trolling?

and about Universal marketing department. ask your friends in the biz. This is common knowledge for people who know this stuff. I didn't know at first , I had to ask. It dosen't hurt to ask.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

very fair, very true.

It is strange that I'm taking all this heat for my initial opinion that the movie would probably make around 20 million, and would soon get a dvd release. Turns out by October would be about a couple months after the theatrical run. Which in my opinion is pretty quick.

here was my 6-24-2005 post

"can't believe I'm saying this but I think I will wait for dvd. I guarantee a nice fully uncut , loaded with special features will be out on dvd in a couple of months. I got this bad feeling this movie will be lucky to make 20 million total at the theaters. which will rush the home release, because they will need to make a profit fast."

in no way was I trashing the movie or belittling the movies success.

9. maybrick

So you finally admit that your statements are based on nothing more than crap pulled out of your own ass? Can anyone play this game?

Ahem........

HERE YE, HERE YE! I AM THE SMARTEST, MOST NICEST, MOST HANDSOMEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!!!

My mother says so, so of course it must be true!

:rolleyes:

10. maybrick

Again, THAT WASN'T THE ISSUE!

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

You guys are cracking me up. I probably won't get a response (or a useful one anyway), but I just took the time to actually email Universal asking for the number. :D

if I do hear anything I'll post it, don't hold you breadth.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Finally admit, finally admit. Look at my posts. I have stated that a least 2 other times.

Again, not reading and paying attention. Just trolling.

With you I have to reply the same statements numerous times for you to get anything correct. Look at my posts in replies to just you, the same questions and the same consistent answers.

Nobody else asks the same question on this topic , multiple times. your the only one. Your just trolling.

Its getting kinda sad.

13. maybrick

I just got off the phone with my cousin. Turns out that the marketing cost for LAND was $7.5 million, half of the production cost. In your face, baggio!

Gee, you were right. It never hurts to ask!

14. maybrick

Thanks, d, but that really isn't necessary because I just talked to my cousin, who even though she only has a vague relationship with Universal, she already told me, so it of course must be true. There's no need to fact check. TRUST ME!

15. maybrick

Consistent uncorroborated answers you mean.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Thanks, d, but that really isn't necessary because I just talked to my cousin, who even though she only has a vague relationship with Universal, she already told me, so it of course must be true. There's no need to fact check. TRUST ME!--

No problem :D

I was really just trying to get some clarity, not checking anybody. You guys have me curious, that's all.

If the figure is 7.5 million then the movie is getting to break even with it's cinematic release. With DVD sales, it should present a good return.

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Don't tell me you actually believe that.

It cost 7 million just to market dvds.

lets say maybricks #s were correct
    then breaking even, they will. but still would be a disappointment considering the success from the Dead remake. from the same company Universal.

So lets see spend 20 on the remake and only 7.5 on an Romero original. Dosen't make alot of sense.

want to know why? because they did not spend just 7.5 on the marketing, thats why.

Again just because some people didn't see a commerical for the movie. (which in fact there where numerous and I mean numerous comercials) dosen't mean they did not spend alot. One 10 minute USA channel promo on cable did not cost 12.5 million dollars. In fact it came very cheap for the fact that they will be the exclusive channel to show Dawn on regular cable (I'm not talking about Pay Cable like HBO) Do you have any idea what it costs to show a LOTD tv spot 4 times an hour (which they did) on one channel. Thats just one channel mind you. for weeks during 8:00pm to 12:00am.

And this is all just tv spots.

18. maybrick

Why not? So long as you refuse to backup your statements with tangible evidence, my word is just as good as yours.

Does it HAVE to? I'm sure companies like Anchor Bay, Blue Underground don't spend even a quarter that much. Prove it please.

Not really. In capitalist society, you generally get what you pay for. Less marketing = less profit. I'm sure Universal is keen to that rule.

I say they did, and that's good enough for me. :)

No I don't, and I'm willing to wager that you don't either, or at least wager that you won't be willing to back this statement up with anything tangible. I do know, however, that ad rates depend entirely upon what time of day and what show it is and how much ratings it gets.

19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

so now your comparing those dvd transfer companies to Universal and what they spend on marketing and pruducing dvd releases. Lets go old school like Jurrasic Park dvd for example. OR more recent Seed of Chucky dvd

You are a very, very sad individual.

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

anyone who makes a statement like that, you know their full of it :)