Land Of The Dead - The Official Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by DeathDealer, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

It did have an Escape From LA feel to it. Maybe it's the combination of the Latino elements and the post apocalyptic setting mixed with the
    "I'm just trying to get outta here with my truck" protagonist. Definately a part Kurt Russel could have played.

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Finally checked this out a couple weeks ago and absolutely loved it. I knew Romero wouldn't let us down; it totally kicked ass. The effects were fantastic, the atmosphere was suitably spooky, and I actually jumped a few times. It might be the least of the series (or perhaps a smidgeon better than Day of the Dead) in my eyes, but that's not saying much because all the films are great.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2005
  3. I didn't want to go making another thread on the fiilm, so, I was wondering if anyone has picked up the soundtrack? I haven't seen the movie yet (I'm in the UK, so still a while to go), and have only heard a handful of snippets from the s/t, but it sounds good. Any thoughts?

4. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I'm going to order it soon. It sounds sweet.

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I picked it up, mainly as a piece of memorabilia from the film. I liked parts of the soundtrack, but most of it was rather generic, as mcchrist pointed out earlier.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

total Worldwide: $22,024,613 really raked it in huh.

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

:lol: Oh shit here we go again.

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just bustin balls. :evil:

10. betterdan

betterdan Guest

The names have been changed to protect the innocent. ;)
    [​IMG]

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That's only up to 7/25. That was two weeks ago. As of 8/1 (a week ago) it was $22,596,427. Not much, granted, but to be fair up to that point it was only playing in Argentina, Croatia, Brazil, Denmark, Italy, Mexico, and Norway. I don't believe any of those countries have populations that come close to the U.S.

12. maybrick

Hey! I just noticed that! Funny, funny BD... :D

13. Criswell

Criswell New Member

eeeeerrrrrr just a thought.........If these type of genre films we like here earned mega bucks, then surely they would not be the films we liked in the first place..........

Compromises would have to be made and the 'psychotronic' value diluted.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

You would think it should do pretty good in Italy. But ya never know over there.

P.S. - Nice work Betterdan! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  15. maybrick

It's doing fair in Italy. Actually, the vast bulk of what the movie's made so far overseas is from Italy. 1,250,000 in 2 weeks. The rest had brought in less than $500,000. 2 of the 7 countries as of 8/1 only had LotD for three days, and 4 of them are poverty stricken. I doubt any of theaters in these countries would charge U.S. rates for tickets either.

16. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

I also picked up the score on CD, to keep with tradition, but had quite the opposite reaction. I think it's a really good score. I particularly like the sections coinciding with the films second and third acts; especially the end theme, which just kicks ass, IMO. As a whole, it may have a few too many "stingers" to be really great for kickin' back and listening to, but I think its got great energy. I also really like that one kind of somber motif that reemerges throughout, even in the action scenes, as it lends a kind of pining thoughfulness that I tend to associate with Romero's 'dead films'.

In retrospect, I think the score serves the movie extremely well in that it completely blends into the background of the film. I realized after seeing the movie opening day that I didn't have any recollection of the score. To me, some of the best film scores are either those that kind of "become a character" in the film (like maybe Halloween or Jaws); or those that totally blend into the tapestry of the film so that they're more or less unnoticed. LOTD falls into the latter, IMO, as it never intrudes on the film but maintains a constant sense of motion, unease and tension.

My two cents...

17. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I agree that the score works very well in the movie, but on its own it is just rather boring to listen to. Besides the opening and closing tracks (I don't know if that somber motif you're talking about is the one I'm thinking of, is it kind of reminiscent of Day of the Dead?), it's pretty forgettable, unlike the excellent scores for Dawn and Day of the Dead, and even the great public domain tracks used in Night of the Living Dead.

18. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Do you guys think there'll be any chance of a dead film?

Maybe this time Romero will make his Ultimate Masterpiece.

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

This post makes no sense, as Romero already made his ultimate masterpiece: Dawn of the Dead. :D

20. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Alright, his second Ultimate Masterpiece. :)