Lars Von Trier's ANTICHRIST - 1st official trailer.

Discussion in 'General' started by The Chaostar, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG]

Caught up to Antichrist last night at the Toronto Film Fest. Everything you have heard about the movie is true. The film contains some amazing imagery. It takes it's time and allows you absorb all the surroundings and digest it’s motif which is presented by outstanding symbolism scattered throughout the film. It’s a slow descent into madness with a horrific pay off. A tad pretentious at times but there's allot to like about the movie. I’m not sure what it all meant but I don’t think I was meant to on the first viewing. William Dafoe was at the screening and he admitted to themes in the film he had yet to fully comprehend. It’s difficult viewing towards the end as it gets pretty visceral. Saying that, overall a great and challenging film.

To think of a good example of another film with a similar feel and tone I would point to Andrzej Zulawski's Possession.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

After seeing more of von Trier's filmography, I am pretty mad at the harsh American criticism present in Dogville and Manderlay. Granted, some of it is true (particularly about race relations in the latter) but von Trier just throws it in without having visited the U.S. and sampled the culture. And the pretentious dialogue is just... ugh. It isn't even plausible.

Of course, one of these days, von Trier is going to have to "man up" and actually come to the United States. His big ego and phobias will be his downfall one day.

3. Clayton

Clayton New Member

4. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Since when is von Trier a "well-respected" director? He may be controversial, but I doubt he's well-respected. Especially since he refuses to come to the U.S. to film movies set there, and makes the actors come to him.

von Trier makes some interesting and thought-provoking movies, but he is not in the same league as Kurosawa or Fellini.

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Like him or not I respect him for making uncompromising, thought provoking, challenging films. He plays by his own rules. More directors should have the balls to do that. I also don't have a problem with his films that are commentary on the US. The way I see it, the films in question are reflecting the way America portraits themselves to the rest of the world. I believe he knows that portrayal isn't necessarily the reality.

6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

We just watched it. Basically what Ash28M wrote. While some dabs of pretentiousness are present, this film is excellent. I don't mind arthouse filmmaking when there is still enough happening during its run time to entertain, or in this case, captivate the audience. I thought the Kingdom was brilliant also, so I can say I am very impressed with Lars as a whole, even though he is not typically a horror director. Whenever he visits this genre, he put more thought into his filmaking than most, while, once again, maintaining an eventfull and engaging viewing experience for the audience and not just catering to the holier than thou cinefile.

mclay18, while I agree with the fact that typically, one should expose themself enough to a culture before commenting and especially criticizing it, the US has the strongest media in the world, and for the time being, still the most influence in the world, whether the countries it influences, attacks, occupies or all three welcomes such exposure to the US or not. Consequently, most countries, including my home of Canada knows a lot more of the US than the US citizens know of Canada. So there is a reason why I can feel I know enough about your country without living there despite my numerous visits. I am not saying that I am the most eloquent in my words, but the "man up" attitude is of such douchebaggery that makes it understandable why the rest of the world can deplore the US sometimes. Nonetheless, it explains why the likes of Bill O'Reilly gets great ratings. Not as if you should care what a lowly foreigner thinks of you, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you just had a moment. I have had a few myself in these forums, afterall. Respectfully yours.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

First of all, he has won the Golden Palm at Cannes. That would be enough for every director in this world. A Golden Palm seems a good recomendation. An Academy Award, not so. Check the american films that have won a Golden Palm and which american film won the Academy Award the same year, it's a funny ride.

Second, Bogart and Curtis never visited Casablanca, I'm sure, and there are trillions of examples in American cinema much worse than Trier's. And to say that a film maker is only well respected if he has visited the US is extremely weird and a lot of other worse things than that.

Every director in the world has the right to make a film about America because America is in everyones country and in everyones home. The politics of America affects the world tremendously. If someone makes a political film everywhere in the world, he will talk about America because he'll have no choice, it's that simple.

Anyway, well, glad you guys liked the film. Its images have haunted me since the 1st day I saw it. It is a masterpiece.

8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Perfectly written in every respect, Chaostar.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Cheers x666x. It would be more fun if some of us two hated the film - that would be a great discussion!

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I still haven't seen it yet! :p:lol:

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The greatest film of 2009! Lars von Trier's "Antichrist" is a thought provoking, emotional, shocking, beautiful, painful, haunting and absorbing masterpiece. It will linger and bring up new questions and answers long after you've viewed this film.

Astounding. Absolutely astounding.

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

Just tell us...did you like it? :D

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Saw it yesterday, I loved it and hated it in spells. The prologue was one of the most beautiful sequences I've seen in a long time. The following scenes of grief were also very well performed. Then it seemed to lose itself in not so much pretentious but just meandering philosophizing of everything from woman's intuition to religious parables. Once all the visceral stuff started happening I didn't think the film was weighty enough to sustain all the empty action. The prologue was nice, and the Tarkovsky tribute was somewhat fitting since there were a few poetic shots of nature laced with some pretty devastating symbolism.

Overall I'd recommend it, but I'd file it under a case of good ideas that needed a greater focus.

14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I watched the Region 2 DVD and really didn't quite like it. Didn't hate it either. I don't know that I appreciated everything he was trying to do, so I think it is a film that needs to be re-watched.

15. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I really liked this film. During the movie I felt that it was shot like a Tarkovsky movie, namely Stalker, then the dedication.

At first I thought that the movie was going to be okay but a little pretentious but as the movie went on the better I thought it got. Some of the violence was over the top but it worked in favour of the film. I can't see it being a favourite amongst audiences but it's definitely stylish.

16. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

How does one actually get to see this? Its not out on Region 1 is it?

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

agree 100%. here's hoping for a region 1 blu ray.

18. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I really hated this movie. On a technical level there are many instances where it's cinematography is very well done, at the heart of this movie is a pretty sinister tale, and there are even some parts where the story seems like it's going to pick up however more so than that, much more so than that, I found the movie to be incredibly boring, it was a real chore to watch. What little bit of a story that it has wasn't so swift which is just as well because both of it's characters, the arrogant flake and the crazy, but not in a good way, woman, are more irritating to watch that anything. I was so bored with this movie that I probably stopped it about 4 times to go and do something else to break the monotony. Especially disappointing was the fact that the prologue was done so well, it makes you think that the movie will be at least alright but it's pretty much all downhill from there. A little bit of shock value and fancy camera work don't work so well when your movie has absolutely nothing else going for it. The fact that so many people liked it so much makes me want to re-watch it but I really don't think I can force myself to sit through this again.

No, there is no region 1/A release of this, I don't even think there is one scheduled yet.

19. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I did like this a lot. The imagery is beautiful. But, I do have to admit to being a bit let down. While better crafted, I don't think the film is really much better than "Possession" on a thematic level. And, maybe I am just a bit jaded, but I really didn't find it all that shocking.

But, the imagery does carry the film quite well and it is definitely a film that I look forward to seeing again. In many ways, it is as if Tarkovsky made a horror film.

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator