Laser Rot

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by NewYawkRipper, Mar 16, 2005.

1. I heard laser discs get laser rot fast and easily? is this true? There is an Expensive LD I want, but have been avoiding purchasing because of Laser Rot horror stories.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

We've talked about Laser Rot here in other threads...there aren't too many threads total in the LD forum, so try just listing all threads in the past 2-3 years...probably not more than 3-4 pages total.

Some discs rot, some don't. Good news is that if a disc is not rotted now, it probably never will. Some titles and manufacturers were especially succeptible to rot. What is the LD in question?

3. German Dragon Release of Street Trash

4. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Damn, I didn't know that there was a Dragon laserdisc release.....OR that Dragon even made laserdiscs at one point.

There was a Japanese laserdisc though..and an uncut one at that....and I've never seen that laserdisc title on any "known rotter" lists.

Have you checked eBay for the Dragon dvd of Street Trash? It pops up every once in awhile and can be had for around $20 to $30. Although you have to be careful because everyone and their grandmother's dog groomer has Street Trash bootlegs on eBay too.

Or you can wait for the Synapse SE of Street Trash to come out.......soon..........sometime...........maybe......

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  5. Well, I actually own the French Gaumont DVD release of Street Trash, which is above and beyond the Dragon release. I collect everything street trash, thats why Im after the LD. Dragon put out a few films on LD when they first started releasing stuff, they are insanely rare, the street trash LD went for over 200.00 last time it was on ePay.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Tried to watch my copy of Wild Zero from Synapse last night and my player spat it out because it has developed a brown spot. Great.

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That blows. Sorry to hear about that. I really need to start backing up my DVD's and LD's to digital.

8. maybrick

That's what I was doing. When I said player I should have really said computer. I've back up 350 discs so far and I've come across three that get rejected now: Wild Zero, Blair Witch 2, and Frida. Wild Zero is the only one with visible degeneration though.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This is honestly my greatest fear with my DVD's and, now, my blu-ray collection. So much money invested. I have only had two situations where "rot" or some other age defect occurred. The first was with the theatrical disc of the Wicker-Man box set. I was like 15 when I got that and not as internet savvy as I am now, so I eventually just swapped it out for an AB theatrical disc I found at Best Buy for like $7. The second was my original Lionsgate blu-ray of American Psycho.

There is a small part of me that just wants to back up all of my movies digitally and sell them all now while the getting is good before things could possibly rot out, but I could never bring myself to do that.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

There's a better chance that your hard drive would crash than having disc rot destroy a large majority of your collection.

TobalRox likes this.
  11. maybrick

That's why you backup the hard drive with another hard drive.

TobalRox likes this.
  12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Are Blu-Rays also susceptible to disc rot?
    I thought the technology rendered damage due to aging almost impossible?
    I have had a few dvds conk out due to the disc rot issue, however I don't sweat it. I recently gave up caring about material things for the most part, I figure if I bought a dvd and watched it about 5-6 times I got my money's worth, no sense worrying.

13. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

There were some reported Criterion discs...

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3317-exchanging-defective-discs

14. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

They need to start spitting out larger hard drives. I have over 700 movies on blu-ray. I figure a 50tb drive should suit my needs. :)

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just received my first M disc yesterday. It's 100gb and was $25, so I hope the transfer goes smoothly.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just burned my first M-Disc. It works great...on my M-Disc burner. My region free bd player, PS4 and UHD BD player don't know what the hell it is and won't play it. I'm hoping a firmware update will correct this. I'm not sure if it's because the size of the disc is 100gb or because it's a M-Disc (or both). This really sucks.

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Probably because it's a BD-XL (100gb disc, but M-Disc also utilizes a different burning/layer method than standard DVD-Rs/BD-Rs)... most Blu-ray players, and especially the PS4, currently don't offer playback support on BD-XL since it's not a standard format like the standard 25gb and 50gb discs. While BD-XL has been around for a while it's still currently an archive-only format and hasn't been adopted for use by the film/video/gaming industry for consumer use, hence why there hasn't been a firmware update yet to offer support.

Also, Grim was referring to his Criterion M disc, as in the Fritz Lang film.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    buck135 likes this.
  20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thanks MorallySound. I forgot Criterion's M had some manufacturing issues. I appreciate your response. I'm hoping a firmware update enables these discs to be viewable.