Laserdisc Questions

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Lone Wolf, May 21, 2004.

1. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I had one called the Pioneer Laseractive, it was a top notch LD player that also had Sega Genesis functionality.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

As always, thanks Paff. I'll keep toying with the audio to see if there's a difference.

3. startide

startide Member

Ouch!! Hope you didn't outlay that much buck! :(

4. JimSmith

JimSmith Banned Mofo

I have a question. Is there any all-region laserdisc players out there? And if there is which one would pay both sides of a laserdisc without having to flip it over? I've for some time now wanted to buy a laserdisc player and buy the japanese laserdisc set of The Encyclopedia of Horror (Stephen King's This is Horror).

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Paff has answered every laserdisc question I have ever had. He is the reason I own the player that I do.

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I will quote Paff's answer to my questions which were quite similar:

"OK, first of all, one great thing about LD: NO REGIONS!! If you have a laserdisc, and a laserdisc player, it will play. Doesn't matter where the disc came from.

Now, if you're only going to be ripping the content of the LD, you have a little more leeway. You can buy a single sided player (when the disc gets to the end, 30 minutes for a "CAV" disc, 60 for a "CLV" disc, you have to manually turn the disc over. AKA, "flippers". All LDs are flippers if you have a single sided player.

If you're going to be integrating it into your home theater and actually watching the movies, you'll want a double sided player. This one automatically plays the other side of the disc, and you'll only have to get up if there's a disc change.

Stick with Pioneer players. Look for a CLD-Dxxx, or CLD-Sxxx if you only want a single sided player ("D" and "S" are for Double or Single sided player). The "xxx" will be a 3 digit number. Higher the number, better the player. I use a CLD-D704, one of the best players made short of the "Elite" line (which is a whole new ball game, but a lot more $$$). A 502, or 406 will suit you fine.

Finally, MAKE SURE IT HAS A REMOTE! If you're going to access commentary tracks, you have to change from the digital soundtrack to the analog, and that's a function specific to LD. You won't find it on any universal remotes.

If you find some players that interest you, post 'em here and we can comment on 'em."

7. JimSmith

JimSmith Banned Mofo

Would you happen to have the japanese laserdisc of The Encyclopedia of Horror? That would be the first thing I would buy on laserdisc! :) Great documentary with great artwork! :)

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

9. JimSmith

JimSmith Banned Mofo

Do you know of any horror dvd-r bootleg sites? Maybe I can find The Encyclopedia of Horror on there.

10. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Although there were no regions for LD, one could still be limited to what they could play because different countries use different signals. There were NTSC, PAL, and, I think, SECAM LDs just like we had with VHS tapes and most players were not multi-system.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

No sorry. I'm making my own DVR's from LD's that I own for my own enjoyment.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I thought Dave had a copy of Encyclopedia of Horror, as he reviewed it here on the site. And actually, it may not even be "bootlegging" to get a DVD-R of it. Don't quote me, but there's this thing called the "Berne Act" where if a movie is not released in the US, it's essentially considered public domain and free to be copied. I'm probably murdering the legal definition of the Berne Act there, but it's something like that. I think that's one of the reasons (there are others) they created region coding in the first place. So that even if a movie fell under the Berne Act, people couldn't just get import copies. I dunno, I'm kinda guessing at that.

I do remember that back in the early 90s, there were a lot of people making tapes of laserdiscs of foreign movies. That was where you got your Argento, Fulci, and Hong Kong flicks. The reputable sites would remove titles from their catalogs the moment an official US release came out.

Which by the way, brings up another bonus of laserdisc: No Macrovision or HDCP in place to prevent copying! Not that I advocate bootlegging discs, but making your own copies onto DVD for personal use is perfectly legal.

13. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I think the Berne Convention Implementation Act of 1988 was actually intended to have the opposite effect. Before the act was implemented the US only offered full copyright protection to US citizens and residents.

14. startide

startide Member

No, I was referring to the LD you bought for the non existent Romero interview!!

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

My apologies. This semester is ending and my brain is mush. I paid $25 for it. It's fine, I already made a DVD copy of it. I also own four other versions of Dawn on laserdisc. All transfered to DVD. I need help. :lol:

16. startide

startide Member

LOL indeed. Do you wanna see my Prom Night collection? I actually don't know how many copies I have of that film, all up. DVD, LD, VHS, beta... I'm really bummed it was never released on CED. Can you believe that? (And laserdisc never even took off here! I have a vintage video magazine with reviews of the format. I had no idea it was here that early! That shows you how popular it was! :D)

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That's cool, I'm the same way with Romero's initial zombie trilogy. I have ten different copies of NOTLD on blu-ray (not counting the TT '90 remake), four different versions of Dawn and of Day on blu-ray. Also, countless versions of all three on DVD. It's nice to have movies that we just cannot get enough of. :)

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I probably pimped this in the other thread, but did you get the Elite Special Edition of Night of the Living Dead? The two-disc set, with Ben on the cover. That disc has a ridiculous stills gallery (many in full color) not on any DVD.

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Not yet, but I know the one you mean. Thanks for the heads up.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Bought for $16. Thanks again Paff!