Last Girl Standing (2015, Post-Slasher)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Looks fun:

[​IMG]

Dir. Benjamin Moody
    Release: Nov. 1, 2016

via io9

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I grabbed a copy of this from Family Video today. Only $4.99.

I had seen that poster above on the horror websites, but didn't realize the movie was out yet. Apparently the DVD has been out since November.

Curious to give it a look.

[​IMG]

Workshed likes this.
  3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Let us know how it is!

4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

It does look good. I would also be interested in what you thought of it.

5. CPT HOOK

I'll probably get to it this weekend. I'll definitely report back.

6. CPT HOOK

I finally gave this a spin, and enjoyed it as a one-time watch but I doubt it's something I'd revisit. I'd recommend giving it a watch, but with reservations. The biggest reservation being that outside of the first 5 minutes and the last 10 minutes, there really isn't much here to offer slasher movie fans. In between that? It's mostly a moody little indie drama about a brooding silent girl going about her day-to-day. One of her co-workers brings the girl into his group of friends, so there are other characters trying to bring life to the picture. If you do plan on checking the movie out, I'd suggest approaching it as an indie drama.

I guess if I had to draw a comparison, I would say it's Deadly Dreams by way of Entrance.

The good thing about the middle chunk is that the group of friends she meets are extremely likable (if a bit hipster-ish), and around the hour-mark you even start to like the mousy traumatized final girl. This really brings a lot to the pay-off at the end, which I don't want to say too much about. It does end on a predictable note, but the ending is well-done enough to pack a punch. Even if you're bored by the middle chunk, it ends on a high note.

Slasher movies usually have a lot of re-watchability for me, and while I enjoyed this one for the most part, I doubt I'll be going back to it. Still, at $4.99, I'm okay giving this a home in my slasher collection. If you can find it that cheap or give it a VOD rental, I'd say give it a shot. I wouldn't suggest the $19.99 DVD blind-buy from Amazon.

I will say that if you do go for the DVD, they certainly give you more bang for your buck when it comes to the extra features. The "Making Of" that I expected to be a brief EPK turned out to be an hour-long documentary. This made me appreciate the film much more. The cast and crew would shoot the film in their spare time while still holding down their regular day jobs. The best part is the last 15 minutes, where they talk about getting accepted into FrightFest, traveling from Austin, TX to London for the festival, and getting to see their first film with an audience for the first time. It's really fun to see their excitement and passion for this little film.

If the hour-long documentary isn't enough, there are also four additional little 5 minute featurettes. There's a Set Tour of the campsite from the opening scene, Hunter Test Footage showing alternative costume choices for the killer, Fight Rehearsals, and a Gag Reel. You also get two commentaries and the trailer.