LDs not on DVD/BD yet

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by rxfiend, Aug 7, 2014.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Holy forum resurrection Batman!!! :banana::evil::banana:

A local man was selling his laserdisc player, a Pioneer CLD-D502, for $25, so I decided to jump on it. Never had a LD player before, but what the hell, I'm all up for checking out dead formats. There are some main titles I plan on getting, as I get those titles for every format, but I want to mainly use this as a way to get some horror films that have not hit DVD/BD yet. I was wondering what are some recommendations? Browsing around on ebay, I've seen some titles that look pretty far out, and sometimes they are on DVD (which I've put on my amazon wish list) but some do not appear to be.

On a side note, already got my first laser rot disc! I bought some LDs locally at a swap shop and was able to check them out before hand (those were fine) but I bought Prom Night 3 off ebay, still sealed, and that is the one that burned me. I guess it's better off buying used since sealed copies can contain rotted discs. I was able to still watch the movie, but I was wanting to transfer it to DVD (since the R1 DVD is the TV version). I will have to jump on another copy to do that.

On a side note, I first hooked the player up to a CRT TV I had. Picture had video noise on it pretty bad. At first I thought it was the player as all my discs had this. I then plugged it to my Philips 42" 1080p HDTV and it looks great (all things considered). No noise present, so I think I will leave the LD hooked up. Hell, even VHS loooks pretty good on my TV (as long as you sit 10 feet back).

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I think there's another thread (old) for LD titles not on DVD or Blu. I'm too lazy to dig it up at this point though, so we'll have a new thread.

The 502 was my first player. I'm surprised that it looks so poor on the CRT. As for laser rot, it seemed to affect certain titles from certain plants. As in, if Prom Night 3 rotted, it's likely any other copy of it you get will be rotted too. Them's the breaks.

I'm trying to think of horror titles not out on DVD/Blu, and I'm coming up blank. There's a few titles with extras not on DVD, like for example the Elite special edition of Night of the Living Dead. The extensive stills gallery isn't on any DVD as far as I know.

If you're a music fan, look for music video collections. Another title I know never made it to DVD was the animated 90s series Family Dog. You can get a nice box set of that show, not sure how much it fetches (haha, see what I did there? It's called Family Dog, and I said "fetch") on E-bay.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The Mutilator

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The Keep

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Criterion edition of Carrie has a Laurent Bouzereau commentary not on any DVD

There's also a Criterion Boogie Nights with excerpts of a John Holmes documentary, most of these excerpts were scenes that PTA co-opted for Boogie Nights. Example, Holmes commenting about a director that allows him to block his own sex scenes.

6. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Not strictly horror but definitely worth seeking out is "It Came From Hollywood" (1982.) Never made it to DVD due to rights issues so the LD is still sought-after.

Aren't there deleted scenes from the "Nightmare on Elm Street" LD that have still never made it to DVD or Blu? There were at one point but I've lost track with all the various releases.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

RAD (1986)

[​IMG]

I still cannot believe that has never been released anywhere on DVD or Blu-ray. I have a nice HDTV rip from years ago to tide me over at least.

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

To be fair to the player, it was probably my TV's fault. I typically use it for older video game systems and even those don't look as good as they should. It's one of those cheap Durabrand sets. I was just amazed when I hooked the player to my HDTV, how much clearer it became. Almost night and day!

Well that blows. I found a list of top known rot discs and did not see PN3 on it, so I was hoping to get lucky. lol I may try again but I'll be sure to ask the seller to check their copy before bidding on it.

Some titles I came across ebay that I don't think have a DVD/BD release are:

Girlfriend from Hell
    Transmutations
    Spookies
    The Babysitter (1980 / with Bill Shatner in it)
    I was a Teenage Zombie (though it appears a foreign DVD has been released)
    Summer Camp Nightmare
    Rejuvenator
    Ghost Town
    Necronomicon (I believe there was a foreign DVD release, brazil perhaps?)
    Amityville Curse
    The Club
    Exorcist 2 (theatrical cut)

There's more, but those pop up after a few pages of searching.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The jewel of my collection (VHS, LD, DVD and blu-ray) is the Dawn of the Dead Perfect Collection LD. The Japanese are second to none when it comes to great packaging. I know it's not horror, but the Jerky Boys Movie isn't on DVD or blu-ray in any region other than 2. It is a guilty pleasure of mine which I made a DVD-R rip of. The Pioneer LD of Basic Instinct has interviews which are exclusive to the LD. I made a rip of that sucker as well.

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I seen that Dawn collection. Looks sweet, but it's going for a lot of money! It's a title I doubt will ever get cheap.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It is expensive. There is another Japanese Dawn LD which is even more expensive (Conclusion). I paid way too much for that one.

12. Dave

Dave Pimp

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

There's a pretty decent SINGLE WHITE FEMALE ripoff (although it did come out before) called SWEET MURDER that's not on DVD yet. Also BEN and WILLARD.

15. CPT HOOK

I still have that on VHS. Gets pretty strange in the final act. Notable to slasher fans, as it stars Helene Udy (My Bloody Valentine) and Russell Todd (Friday The 13th Part 2, Chopping Mall).

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yep, and Embeth Davidtz from ARMY OF DARKNESS. Ending definitely got weird, I kind of liked how off the beaten path it got, though. It's the Roommate From Hell movie before the formula was set in stone, so you get those odd diversions from the cliche.

17. CPT HOOK

I don't even remember exactly what happens at the end, but I remember thinking "What...?" Something to do with a well, didn't it? I'll have to dig it out and give it another look soon. I seem to remember Helene Udy and Embeth Davidtz being frequently naked. And a lengthy scene of Russell Todd walking around in his underwear, if that's what you're into.

18. CPT HOOK

Also, speaking of Laserdiscs, this was brought up recently here talking about TV movies that should make it to DVD, but I believe Universal and Paramount released many of the USA Original Movies onto Laserdisc, most of which never made it to DVD.

Doing some quick poking around on eBay, I found the following ones on Laserdisc:
    The Haunting Of Sarah Hardy
    Sorry, Wrong Number
    Wheels Of Terror
    Strays
    Hider In The House
    A Taste For Killing
    The Disappearance Of Christina
    Dead Air
    The Android Affair
    Letter To My Killer
    Circumstances Unknown
    Death Benefit
    The Colony
    Rattled

Plus, a few others I stumbled across while browsing:
    Hunter's Blood
    The Kindred
    Eyes Of Fire
    Certain Fury
    Deadly Possession
    The Borrower
    Paperhouse
    Slipping Into Darkness
    Class Of 1999 II: The Substitute
    Necronomicon: Book Of The Dead
    Masque Of The Red Death
    (Frank Stallone 1989)

19. CPT HOOK

I stand corrected. Apparently Universal quietly slipped this one on to DVD when no one was looking, hiding it in a 6 movie DVD set of science fiction TV movies.

It has been available since 2010, but I had no idea until today.

[​IMG]