Least Favorite Golden Era Argento

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, May 25, 2008.

?

Which is Your Least Favorite Film from Argento's Golden Era?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2008.
  1. Deep Red

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Suspiria

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. Inferno

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Tenebre

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Phenomena

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Opera

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  1. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I picked Phenomena. It's just...too weird or something. I'm relieved to see others don't like it because up until now I've always kind of "hidden" my dislike of it, since those who DO like it, like it so much.

I'm surprised to see that Opera is in the lead, though. It was the 2nd Argento I ever saw (after Suspiria) and thought it was just really cool.

2. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I love all of these films, but INFERNO is my least favorite of those mentioned. It looks incredible, but doesn't have as many standout moments for me.

3. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

For about a day after I saw Inferno, I thought it was better than Suspiria, but then I re-watched Suspiria and realized that no, Suspiria was still much better.

But I'm still saying Phenomena is my least favorite prime-period Argento.

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

I think the one place where INFERNO falters is the soundtrack. The traditional score worked with someone as talented as Morricone for his more traditional films, but for those wild Golden Era films it's gotta be something with the experimental complexity of Goblin. Still, it is what it is and I still love it, although it has been ages since I've revisited it compared to the others on the list.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I voted Deep Red as my least favorite, it feels like a made for TV movie to me.

The only problem I have with Opera is the metal music, but only because the lyrics don't really work with it.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I used to think along these lines, but all that changed when I bought the soundtrack CD. Once I'd gotten used to the music as music, then revisited the film, I saw how wonderful it is, matching that of the Goblin soundtracks. It's really terrific, and if you don't have the soundtrack, try to pick it up.

8. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Sorry,can't vote...:(
    Opera is my least watched Argento (edit: off this list) but still a very great film.And I like the ending.Imagine Phenomena coming right after it...Classic!

I love them,I love them all....

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I love them all but I guess I would say Phenomena is the weakest.

10. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Member

Inferno is my least favorite, just makes no sense to me. I actually like all his movies except for Do You Like Hitchcock ?.

11. rp108

rp108 Guest

Accidently voted for Tenebre cause I thought the poll asked for favorite. Least favorite for me is Inferno.

12. Stige

Stige Active Member

like all of them but I have to admit I have trouble sitting through deep red more than once in a loooong while

13. darklight

darklight New Member

Dude you must be kidding.:eek: Mother Of Tears showing signs of the old Argento:confused:This has to one of his worst films, behind The Card Player that is. Awful script, acting and badly exacuted scenes (nice gore though). The film is total poo:fire:

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Poo or not, I'll be there opening night (which for me is June 27th)

15. MrVess

MrVess Guest

I'll happily admit this - I've never cared for "Suspiria" at all. Or perhaps for anything in it and about it apart from the opening theme and the first murder scene, anyway.

The others are at least good. Even the mostly flat "Inferno" has the beautiful sunken cellar scene that alone makes the movie worth seeing.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Inferno. And I did like it, but I didn't like a good deal of the music that Keith Emerson did for the movie. It just didn't have the feel of an Argento movie score. Much too old-fashioned, high-pitched, and shrill. The style was okay, but I didn't think the women were as beautiful as Argento usually gets for his films. Daria Nicolodi looked terrible in the movie. I didn't think most of the death scenes were very visually interesting. And I didn't like the story at all. What I could figure out.

17. I voted Inferno. I like it well enough, but nothing stands out to me. Even now, it's hard for me to remember more than a few scenes, and then even with not much detail.

Funny that Opera is ranked so highly (poorly?)--it's unquestionably my favorite Argento film. I do have kind of shitty taste, though.