Leatherface: TCM 3 - will I like it?

Discussion in 'General' started by Behemoth, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

I love the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre, but I hated TCM 2.

Just got my copy of "Man's Best Friend", and included was the theatrical trailer (or rather the teaser) for TCM 3, and I LIKED it, and so I'm considering purchasing the DVD.

Need your advice, though: Will I hate TCM 3 since I hated TCM 2?

Thanks.

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Well, I liked TCM 2 but hated TCM3 (but the trailer is historic!) So you might like it.

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

3 is way closer to 1 than 2 is, so since you loved the first, you should at least like 3.
    You should probably try to rent it (if possible where you live) first just in case, but it doesn't have the comedy angle that 2 did, and is a more straight up horror film.
    I love that they still use the disclaimer in the intro to try and tie all the movies together, I'd say it's pretty obvious that
    everyone in the family died
    in 2, so just pretend that whole movie never happened and you'll probably dig it.

4. tyuun

tyuun New Member

I liked Part 2 a lot and was totally dissapointed in Part 3 with the exception of Ken Foree. It all depends on what you like, I didn't hate it but didn't love it either, definitly not better than part 2 if you ask me but...

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I really liked Part 2, but I don't like Part 3... it isn't one of the WORST movies I've ever seen, but I thought it was very dull and the lack of blood didn't help either. Ken Foree was about the only good thing about the film, but his talent is wasted on such a small role. :(

But if you liked the first one, you might just like Part 3. Overall though, I thought TCM 2 was just a better movie and more entertaining.

EDIT: Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation sucked ass! Avoid at all costs! :nervous:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2003
  6. MapleBob

MapleBob Guest

Not so good

I liked TCM 1, 2, and TNG a lot, but TCM 3 seemed to lack some of the insanity of those other three movies.

I think it started off well, a lot like the first one, but I felt it lacked chi, shock value, and characters that where lovable or hatable enough to care about.

But there are a lot of homages to the first one.

You should probably rent it before you buy.

According to the commentary, at the time New Line had acquired the rights to Leatherface and where trying to launch a new franchise ala Freddie Kruger.

Maybe if they would have done it more like the TV show Kung Fu, they might have had something.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I checked out the dvd last night, at least the extras and about 1/2 the commentary. There's is a lot of stuff here that isn't on the laser, and vice versa.
    The commentary is a hack job from the 2 tracks on the laser (I think, although it may be all new shit hacked together), and shit from the documentray, all mixed in with the new ECEO who thinks people want to hear him on the comm. track because he was an assistant something when the movie was made!? Annoying, laserdisc rules for commentary.
    Dvd rules for the deleted scenes though. The only one on the laser was
    when the little girl pulls the rope to kill the guy hanging in the kitchen
    . The editing is way different though, and it's a lot more intense on the LD as there are cuts to just about everyone and Aragon counts a lot slower. The other DS are new to the dvd, and the alt. ending is finally watchable (they used un-printed film on the ld, for about half of it. It's weird, right in the middle of a scene, it would switch from printed to un-printed without any jumps or anything.) I hit the audio button and there is a 5.1 audio track for the AE as well, although it looks like default was 2.0.
    Decent doc, always good to see the trailer (absolute classic!), and looking forward to listening to the DTS track. I might even watch the butchered to death R cut just because I can.

Also note, from everything I've heard, the R cut is horrid and quite possibly the reason so many hate the movie. I have been lucky and only seen the un-rated version so far. If viewing for the first time, be sure to watch the un-rated if at all possible (i.e., if the video store in your area doesn't have the dvd, and only the R rated video, DON'T BOTHER!).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2003
  8. Jeffrey Dahmer

Jeffrey Dahmer New Member

This sequel was hatched to pieces and make no sense. If you like non-sense, you'll love it.