Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III on Blu-ray 6/7!!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Apr 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Mine came in the mail yesterday. I've loved this movie since I sneaked in to see it back in 1990. No transfer will ever make this movie look pristine, but it is an improvement over the DVD.

2. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

When Leatherface was released, the only theater showing it was in Berkeley, about 15-20 miles away. Since I had been feverishly anticipating this movie--fueled by the heavy coverage from Fangoria--I was determined to see it no matter what. So a friend and I hopped on BART and soon enough found ourselves virtually alone in a dingy theater. I was ecstatic.

In the end, I didn't really care for Leatherface at all. I thought it was pretty dumb, even considering the MPAA issues and re-shot ending. I don't remember having watched it in its entirety since then.

Now that the blu has been released, I've become curious and am thinking about picking it up. After all, the movie came out almost 30 years ago and I might find something to appreciate in the unrated version. Or, it'll be just as shitty.

3. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I'd definitely give it another go. It's aged really well and, aside from the reshot ending (which is still crap), the movie is great fun. And if you've never seen the unrated version it should be a darn sight more enjoyable than the last time you watched it.

4. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I plan on picking up the blu soonish. The price is certainly reasonable.

Man, I still remember being thrilled by the 'Lady of the Lake' teaser way back when.

Myron Breck, baggio and fceurich39 like this.
  5. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

My friend and I paid for Back to the Future Part II then crossed into TCM III when nobody was looking. One other guy was in the theater. I don't know why I've always loved this movie so much. At first it was for the thrill of doing something so sneaky, but I've owned it on VHS, DVD, and now Blu-ray. To me it's a raw, no-nonsense horror movie with a ton of violence and wtf moments. I also like the re-shot ending. Yeah, it's stupid that Benny becomes indestructible, but I love the exchange of: "What are the chances a brainless bitch like you even knows how to use that thing?" "Pretty goddamn good you backwoods motherf--ker!"

Buechlers_beard and Natas like this.
  6. Buechlers_beard

Still an AMAZING trailer! Ha!

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Got this today at my record store for $10 can't beat that. I love this film the transfer is very good.

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

This blu ray is awesome, I think it looks fantastic.

I know it's borderline blasphemy saying this, but I enjoy parts 2 and 3 more than the original. And it's not even close. They're just more fun.

fceurich39 likes this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Looked for the issue not present or didn't notice it on my copy

Natas, satans-sadists and Katatonia like this.
  12. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I think people are blowing this out of proportion over at bluray.com :rolleyes:, People are making a big stink over it and it's not even really visible unless your TV is calibrated wrong. I think this is the best we are going to see this film for a long while.

Natas, fceurich39 and Katatonia like this.
  13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I think so also. I knew about the problem beforehand, and couldn't even notice it on either my TV or PC monitor (both calibrated) when I watched the disc.

People on there are always recommending that everyone set your TV's sharpness to 0 unless you want false sharpening ... when it fact it varies widely from brand to brand. Samsung is usually 0. Sony is usually optimal at 50, etc..

fceurich39 and gobad2003 like this.
  14. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Movie is fucking awesome. You could throw a fucking oval shit stain on every other frame and I'd still say Jimmy cracked corn.

15. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I have been working up the courage to pop in my disc. Couldn't finish the movie. I get that people just want to be happy with what they bought, but that oval is too distracting for me. It's just so weirdly zoned and pixelated. If it's simply a case of my screen not being calibrated correctly, why am I not seeing similar things on any of my other discs? In any case, I don't want to have to calibrate my screen juuust right, stand on my head, and squint to not see the offending oval.

Sorry for being so negative. I'm a huge fan of this movie, and I hope it will see another release that does it justice.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  16. Buechlers_beard

I've not popped MY disc into the player yet. I hear another release may be happening in the UK with a lot more in the way of extras, but there's rights issues to sort out. Hopefully it happens though.

Myron Breck and Kim Bruun like this.
  17. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Heh, the most interesting thing about this release to me is the oval and the claim that you will only see it if your TV is not properly calibrated. I’m real curious whether I’d see it or not but just don’t like this movie enough to spend more than $7 or so upgrading from the DVD.

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I am not seeing this oval. Was it on every release? It doesn’t make sense that it would affect some discs and not others if it was the same batch.

I thought it looked great. Man Warner Archive discs rival Arrow and Criterion in their A/V.

~Matt

19. Stige

Stige Active Member

I'm not going to put mine on again and look for flaws (if any on mine). It was in any case nothing I noticed on my viewing of the disc.

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's on every disc, as it's inherent in the transfer itself. During the transfer restoration/new colour grade pass an oval-shaped mask/vignette overlay/correction was accidentally left on for the remainder of the movie but it's opacity is set so low that you're only going to see it depending on what your TV calibration/brightness/gamma settings are. So the issue will vary between non-noticeable to very noticeable depending on home setup/TV model, but if you do see it on your set-up it is something you can "fix" by adjusting your TV picture settings.