Legalize Drugs?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by SaviniFan, Apr 8, 2009.

?

Should Drugs Be Legalized?

1. Drugs should be legalized

29 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Drugs should remain illegal

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. I don't care

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

A hot topic in the media lately seems to be the debate over whether or not to legalize drugs. I've heard a lot from both sides of the debate myself and after hearing much of it I find myself leaning towards the idea of regulated legalization, especially marijuana. I'm not a heavy user myself, perhaps once every 5 years I might light one up with the wife (no b.s.). I gotta say though, I fail to see the reason for drugs like nicotine and ESPECIALLY alcohol being legal yet marijuana is deemed to be so evil. I have yet to hear of somebody who has overdosed on weed or killed people on the road like alcohol can do.

Please by all means, vote and comment in this thread about your side of the debate. If you'd like, you can talk about why other drugs should be legal/illegal as well. I'm curious as to see how most feel about this subject.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Not legalized, but certainly decriminalized. Locking up users and low level dealers is a waste of tax payer dollars.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I dunno about all drugs, but definitely weed. I mean seriously, everyone smokes it. (Ok not EVERYONE, but I've lost count of how many people I know who smoke weed occasionaly.)

~Matt

4. SaviniFan

I dunno if this sounds dumb, but what exactly would the difference be between legalizing and decriminalizing? Are you suggesting to keep the sale of drugs illegal but to restructure the way offenders are punished?

5. maybrick

You still wouldn't be allowed to sell or possess it, but the crime would be lowered to misdemeanor level and people would only receive a fine, no jailtime and certainly no mandatory minimum sentences.

6. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Legalize them. Make stiffer penalties for any crime committed while under the influence (like drunk driving laws). I know drug possession is an easier charge to prosecute, but I think the principles involved should outweigh the practicalities (maybe I'm overly idealistic).

The war on drugs has been a pointless exercise in futility, with very uneven application of the law.

7. SaviniFan

Wouldn't you think that this would promote more open sales on the streets since the risk factor would be so low? I think it would remove the fear of being caught by law enforcement by a large factor if you sold a small amount at a time from your home or on the street. If that happened and it was even more accessible because of that, why not legalize and regulate it. Get some tax dollars out of it to go into education or infrastructure?

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I can't say all or nothing here. Stuff like pot should 100% be legal. NO ONE has ever died from too much herb. I'll take a bong hit over a beer anyday if I have the choice - one binger or one beer? That's easy. You could probably wipe out the National debt at the same time.

However, shit like heroine, crack, esctasy and coke should be illegal because it has been well known for a long time those drugs really do fuck people up and kill them. I've done esctasy before, and believe me I love it. However, you can overdose on it and there can be really harmful shit it in.

Then there is the grey area drugs like psychedelics - acid, mushrooms and mescaline. I personally believe everyone should experience at least one of these drugs in their lifetime - preferably acid. I think it opens your mind and give you a different, yet positive, perception on many things you will encounter in your life. Not to mention, if you're in the right atmosphere it's fun as all hell :D

Overall, drugs are really a personality thing. Do you have the mindset/mentaility to handle some or all of them? Can you do them without becoming "addicted". Some can and some cannot.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Legalize MOST drugs, because if it's legal then it can be regulated, taxed, and it might actually help our economy a bit. Not sure about things like LSD, PCP, being legal, though. Masses of people might end up going all Syd Barrett and psychotic. Mushrooms is iffy, as they're not nearly as intense (in comparable doses) as LSD, but it's still in the same category.

BTW, isn't there currently a bill being reviewed in California that would legalize marijuana?

10. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

Who cares for drugs? I think steroids should be legalized ;-)

11. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Dont care. I've never done anything myself, and dont plan to. If people want to fuck themselves up by all means.

12. Mutilated Prey

Pot was just decriminalized in Connecticut. No more jail or arrests - you just pay a fine/mail in your ticket. I think this is only if you get caught with up to an ounce - not sure of the exact weight.

13. maybrick

If it promotes more sales, so what? The problem isn't the drugs, it's the mafia and gangs. Decriminalization would take the bulk of the financial incentive out of the market. More open sales = low drug costs. It would also minimize the need for dealers to carry guns. It's been proven that hasher penalties does NOT curb drug use. The key is education. I never want to be able to go into any old convenience store and see smack and crack for sale behind the counter. That's just too easy. You could get tax dollars for education or infrastructure from fines just fine.

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agree with most on here, marijuana should be legalized, no to the rest of the more harmful ones though. I don't do any drugs any more though. There was a time when I smoked weed, but never enough to classify myself as a pott head or anything. I also did mushrooms once or twice, but that is it. Never wanted to try any of the more powerful drugs, which is probably for the best.

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Agree with pretty much everything you said here.
    The biggest obstacle is that prisons have been turned into business, and what better way to fill them and keep the profits rolling than low-level, harmless drug charges that carry stiff prison sentences? It's a fucking joke that never was funny, and is getting less funny by the day. Literally, prosins these days look at an empty cell as money lost, and that's not what they are supposed to be.
    On the bright side, Michigan is now allowing medical marijuana, but it's still a federal felony if you do get caught with it.:nervous: Seems to defeat the purpose if one says it's O.K., but the other says no it's not.

My biggest grey area is prescription drugs. I like a few Vicodins most of the time, yet I'd be better off caught with a pound of weed than a couple pills and no prescription. I also know these can be deadly if you take too many, which is why it's grey. Those I know who use scrips usually just keep to themselves and never go do dumb shit like the drinkers, which is why I feel if they're done in moderation they pose no threat.
    I've never been robbed or got into a fight over weed or pills. O.K., once I got jacked for some roaches when I was a late teen walking home too late, back when my hood was the hood, and only because I didn't have any money or anything else they wanted. Kinda funny looking back, those dudes were so bummed I only had a few roaches, mentioned they didn't even smoke bud, but just had to steal from something from whitey I guess.:rolleyes: I've fought over the last beer many times, either against friends or their dogs.:eek1:

Free White Boy Rick!:D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  16. Mutilated Prey

Right - it drives me nuts when I watch shows like "Cops" and some dood is getting busted for having like 1/2 an eighth of pot and a bowl on him. So figgin' stupid. Go find the murders, rapists and people breaking into my house and car assholes!

I was laughing though at this one episode where they set up an entrapment of sorts - they had a bunch of doods hanging out in front of this house and the idea was they were selling dime bags. Everytime a person would walk up to house and buy one, the split second they walked away this dood came out of nowhere like Jack Lambert and tackled the buyer at full speed as if he had just shot the President. - WTF!!! :lol:

17. MacReady

MacReady New Member

I had to go with remain illegal.

Legal weed would be great. :glasses:

But I just cant see how being able to go to the store and buy a few crack rocks or a bindle of heroin would ever be a good thing.

Talk about a real life horror movie.

:nervous:

18. Azrael55

Azrael55 New Member

That always infuriates me too. What's worse is that the people that get a hard on over stopping and catching "marijuana bad guys" are the ones whose sons and daughters are doing the same thing at their college campus. Politicians who are very anti-pot are always having their family members or sometimes themselves caught up in weed or something stronger and that seems so hypocritical.

19. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Problem is it runs counter to Federal law, and may well be struck down on that basis. With the medical marijuana acts popping up everywhere the Feds know better than to press the issue just yet. If they do so they risk a backlash resulting in a change in Federal legislation, and certain hard case law enforcement officials want to avoid that possibility at all costs.

Especially on a questionable traffic stop, and then the cop acts like he just single handedly saved every child on the town's streets with a drug bust on par with raiding a cargo ship full of kilo bricks of smack. With chest puffing over such petty shit busts like that - and the more serious crimes they've either ignored or been notably lax in presence to stop, I have a hard time understanding why some cops wonder why they're not liked.

As for legality, personally I'm only in favor of legalizing marijuana, and then only strictly in the confines of a private residence (no public use), and subject to the same laws pertaining to being under the influence. Toke up all you want in your house, but I don't want to catch a second hand high while waiting at a bus stop, and I'll pass on having a stoned bus driver.

20. maybrick

No offense to Republicans, but I find It pretty ironic that on one hand they're all for state's rights and a smaller federal government and on the other they're the ones that are primarily standing in the way of states decriminalizing marijuana. But then, what isn't contradictory about the Republican Party nowadays?