Legalize Drugs?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by SaviniFan, Apr 8, 2009.

?

Should Drugs Be Legalized?

1. Drugs should be legalized

29 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Drugs should remain illegal

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. I don't care

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Even if marijuana is legalized, there is nothing stopping any given employer from still banning it's use by it's employees. I recently seen a news program that had a brief segment on a Michigan employer who forbids his employees from smoking any form of tobacco. He has the legal right to test his employees and he exercises that right. If they are found in violation, they are terminated. I see no wrong in that, and that is with a legal drug.

Alcohol has destroyed far more families worldwide than marijuana could even come close to in a thousand years. I'm just baffled that it is illegal to begin with except that it was pushed upon the rest of society by the "moral majority" who probably go home and have a brew and beat the wife.

2. BRILLAINT, my good man. :cool:;) Seriously.

If anyone here is in the the comedy of the late/great Bill Hicks, you shuold seek out his DVDs and post-humoursly released CDs. He has great things to say about Pot Vs. Alcohal. You'd love him, Savini.

Enjoy:

"MARIJUANA IS BETTER THAN ALCOHOL & SHOULD BE MANDATORY!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfTMvM6f-q4

"Bill Hicks - Positive Drug Story"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA&feature=related

"BILL HICKS WAR ON DRUGS"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCf2fJsBxRc&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  3. Criswell

Criswell New Member

No.

seriously........ get away from the happy stoner crap.

They just simply kill people guys. I am not a 'downer'. i just grew up in the inner city, and saw as a kid what they do to people.

4. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I am not a drug user (never even smoked a joint), but I think weed should be legalized and government regulated/sold. That way they could take all of the money and put it towards schools etc... I am a teacher and budget cuts have put my head on the block. Leagalize this shit, make it government only on the selling and put the money into the community.

5. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I think marijuana should be legalized. That way we could all get high.

6. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Basically all drugs are tolerated here in Holland. Sure it's illegal to have drugs on you but that's about it.

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Drugs should remain illegal

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I voted "I Don't Care" because I can't choose either one of the above mentioned.

Right now, with the world in its' current state, I think illegal drugs should only be made available to people with serious medical conditions - and no one else.

But if the world were a more happy, stable, fair, and good place - I would be fine with all drugs being legalized. As long as people took responsibility for how they used them, I believe a Licensing System could be put in place for people to prove they wouldn't abuse them.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Drugs should be legalised for one reason: elimination of drug dealers and every crime related to that (and there are millions of 'em). Of course, every state worldwide gains a lot of money by keeping drugs illegal so that would be impossible...

By legalization I mean, easy access to weed, skunk etc, and prescripted doses for addicts only for the harder drugs.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Good point.

But, people have to make sure to keep them away from children. Who's job would that be? Were they legalized, kids could get them at school.

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I don't care. People do what they want to anyway, regardless of what it means for them personally/professionally, ya know? Either you get the game or you don't.

Drugs are not for me, though, but what other people do? Whatever.

12. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Only problem with that is that drug abusers [with certain drugs] generally harm people other than themselves who didn't ask to be involved--their kids, other family members, etc...my brother-in-law is a tweaker and has used various drugs since he was 12 [he's in his 40s now] and is a constant source of chaos/turmoil for the entire family--he's pretty much ruined his kid's life, etc. I once thought that drug use was a "victimless crime" until I actually saw the effect that is can have on families and anyone else in the user's sphere of influence.

But I make the distinction between hard drugs and stuff like pot, which should be legal. Have only used it a few times and didn't like it, and one person I know who is a habitual smoker seem to have lost a lot of their mental capabilities over time [granted, the main person I'm thinking of was pretty scatterbrained to begin with] but I don't see it being any worse than boozing it up, which is legal.

BTW, I know that the other family members determine their own reaction to the asshole's meth use and behavior, but still, it's unfair to them to be placed in the position, and I wonder if meth were legal how many more innocent individuals would be affected by other people's bad choices.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Good point. But like you say - legal or not, some people are gonna use 'em. Maybe I'm a goody two-shoes at heart but I never understood why people use drugs, even pot.

Beer? That's a different thing.

14. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

It's a tired rebuttal, but see also drunks and alcoholics. You don't need to look very far to see someone's impairment due to alcohol consumption hurting or killing a family member, friend, or innocent stranger. But does this mean alcohol should be outlawed? God no.

Drugs and booze affect people in different ways. Some lash out at others while under the influence, some kick back on the couch, some are all smiles and happily party, and some do a little of all three.

I've never known anyone to flip out and hurt someone while under the influence of herb, but that's just me. I wouldn't presume to declare it to be legalized because of my personal experience. I'll leave that to the guys with lab-coats and charts and beakers and whatnot. It seems silly to me that we can draw lines across and through various stimulants and depressants and declare a few "Just fine," while lumping a great many under "Very bad."

15. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Still, it's easier to keep it together with certain drugs--booze, pot, possibly coke--what seems to make those drugs different is that it seems more feasible for someone to remain a casual/occasional user of them. I don't know if it is possible for a person to get into meth, heroin, PCP and still maintain. There are differences in how the drugs affect people and in what happens to users over time, so I think it's entirely reasonable to put different drugs in different categories.

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I guess I'd say abuse is abuse. If you're going to kill someone under the influence of alcohol or meth, what's the difference?

I see what you're saying about casual use of meth and heroin. I agree that it's tough to imagine those being legalized, although I'm not sure how many people are calling for meth to be available at 7-11s.

But how many of the casual drugs can be blanketed w/ the gateway classification? One person's casual is another person's slippery slope. Should it be illegal because there are those who cannot be casual in their usage?

I've no experience w/ PCP, so I cannot speak to it, however.

17. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I think the war on drugs is bullshit and I'd rather my tax dollars not to towards imprisoning someone with an eighth of an ounce on them.

That said, I can't imagine how legal marijuana would work in the US. Legalize, fine. You still have dealers to combat. Government-controlled? Our tax dollars would be going toward an increase in the size of government? Free enterprise? Possibly the worst idea. Can you see a large corporation pushing the purchasing of their product on the same scale that Coca Cola is marketed?

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Voted to keep illegal. Just moved last month after living in California for three years. Felt surrounded by stoned people on a daily basis: neighbors, co-workers, store clerks, fellow passengers taking public transportation, panhandlers, motorists, and hordes of illegals. Very frustrating to deal with this all the time!

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You know, here's something else never discussed when talking about "government weed". Don't you think there would be limits on the potency? I would expect that legal weed would have some kind of mixture that would limit it's effect. Yes, with it legal you could grow your own or go to independent dealers, but we'll get to that in a minute.

Next, smoking (tobacco) is pretty much not allowed indoors anywhere in California. Not even in bars. Laws like that are sweeping the nation too, and it would be even more strict when the second-hand smoke is a legitimate intoxicant. Not everyone wants to get high, especially people who will be driving or making important decisions.

So what will you have? You can only smoke in your home, and if you want the good stuff you have to grow your own or go to a dealer. In other words, things would be exactly the same as they are now!

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well, except for all the people in prison for it.

I think the failure of the war on drugs is reason enough to rethink drug laws. Some stuff like Absinthe has only recently been legalized in the US within the last year, and that didn't really even do anything thing (beyond the booze aspect).

It's worth noting that while people say it's a billion dollar industry to tax, legalizing will bring prices down. It won't magically create a billion dollar industry, it'll simply knock one down.