Leprechaun Blu-ray Box Set

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by X-human, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The discs are "A" locked.

2. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

I picked this up today and I'm anxious to get into it.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I've only made it halfway through part 4 at this point, but I feel confident in making the following declaration: I am officially switching my stance on the Leprechaun films. Parts 1, 2, and 3 were all incredibly entertaining. I don't know what my objection was all those years ago when I saw all or part of some of them, but watching Warwick Davis pound on a guy with a pogo stick, or yell "I want me shilling!" for the 100th time was delightful!

Add to that the fact that there are 9 commentary track spread across the original series, and what will probably end up being 2 hours worth of newly produced documentary material when you add it all up, not to mention archival trailers and making of stuff (and the inclusion of the remake, which is really just a morbid curiosity at this point), all for $30(!), and this set becomes one serious pot o' gold! Seriously, how the hell did this happen? There is so much content in this set, it's incredible.

I'm a fan. So glad I picked this up.

4. rift

rift New Member

that's what I'm talking about!

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

It's always nice to hear some love for this franchise. My set just arrived yesterday so I might watch some of the special features today. Even as a fan I never thought we see anything like behind the scenes features for these, or HD transfers for that matter! I'm very happy :banana:

6. Zombie Dude

I just sat through the remake and can definitely agree with those that said it was shit. I was so bored watching it as none of the characters are ever that interesting and the film looks very bland. The Leprechaun was shown for seconds at a time and whenever they gave you a shot of him it was either out of focus or blurred; plus the Lep vision made it feel extra cheap.
    I still don't understand why they took a villain who is an interactive character and turned him into a bland grunting monster. That would be like taking Freddy Krueger's voice away; one of the main aspects that makes the character who he is.

7. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

part 4 in space was WAY worse than Origins. Not even "so bad its good" for me, just plain bad and stupid in my opinion. even when i was a kid and liked some pretty dumb shit, i always thought 4 was so stupid

8. Zombie Dude

I'm not a big fan of In Space but it is in no way worse than Origins. At least Warwick was in that one and the makeup effects were decent.

9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

In Space knew what it was and never pretended to be anything more than that.

Origins was trying to be something it wasn't.

In Space wins.

10. Zombie Dude

I honestly am not sure what Origins was trying to be. It definitely wasn't a Leprechaun movie and made little effort to convince or even remind me that creature was meant to be one. It was also pretty shit at being a creature feature and offered very little of the actual monster which wasn't at all frightening or at least cool.

On another note, after watching all the special features for the actual Leprechaun movies I was surprised to find out part 4 was directed by the same guy who did part 3.

11. thing

thing Well-Known Member

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched Leprechaun In The Hood for the first time and it was a chore to sit through. Warwick was the sole highlight, and he's barely in this one. I'm not even sure if I can subject myself to Leprechaun Back 2 Tha Hood.

I had a blast revisiting 3 and 4 though. I forgot how much fun Leprechaun In Space was. In fact, it might even be the best of the random horror franchise "in space" sequels. Brian Trenchard Smith just knows how to make a fun movie.

I'm especially loving The Leprechaun Chronicles. Even if you don't like the movies, this blu-ray is worth picking up for that alone. If you put all 6 parts together, you have another Crystal Lake Memories or Never Sleep Again.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

They are funny as shit though, if you're in the right mood for that kind of thing. Otherwise, yeah...they are bad.

Workshed likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

I enjoy In The Hood a lot more than I used to. The second Hood movie is less fun but probably more polished.

MisterTwister likes this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Double post.

16. MisterTwister

In the Hood is my Mom's favorite of the franchise. She can pretty much quote the entire thing.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

While it is too bad he doesn't rhyme during In Space, everything else about it is choice. The series was never really gory to begin with so I didn't even notice In Space being comparatively bloodless. It has a few gross out scenes instead so I think that makes up for it.

The only reason In Da Hood gets some love is purely because it is just plain bad, probably the worst production of the Warwick series. There are people who like that. The second In Da Hood is a step up in many respects and a bit of a reboot of the concept; acting like the first never happened. I'm glad they made it, makes it feel less like they got defeated by going one concept too far.

Man, I was going to finally watch Origin for St. Patrick's Day but I've yet too and it feels we're closer now to Easter than anything else. Part of the problem is lack of motivation as I've heard is that it's just plain bad. Where's the fun in that?

18. MisterTwister

Don't agree but rock on.

19. Zombie Dude

Haha, that's great.

I do agree with X-human that the production is pretty bad in the first Hood but I also think it's funnier than Back to Da Hood.

It sucks that Lep doesn't rhyme in Space as it makes him feel a little bland or flat at times. The movies grown on me since I first saw it but it's definitely not one of my favorites of the series nor is it my favorite horror sequels in Space.

MisterTwister likes this.
  20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed back 2 tha hood more than in the Hood. Better production values. Although Davis isn't as campy in it, no rhyming or talk of "me shilling!" So that's a bummer.