Let's talk "Don't" Movies

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by MoonGirl84, Nov 23, 2010.

1. MoonGirl84

MoonGirl84 Guest

They stopped making the Don't movies in the mid 80's! I've often wondered what started them in the first place? There's just so much ground we can cover about Don't movies! I know there is!

There have been a few titles that I've tried to come up with such as:

"Don't Look In the Dark"
    "Don't Forget to Lock the Door"
    "Don't Go In The Lake"
    "Don't Walk....Run"

anyone else? :D

Now for some real titles. These are the ones that would spook me out the most, the artwork on VHS in the video stores!

Here are a few of my synopsis reviews.

*Don't Go in the Woods....Alone (1982)

Clearly a good choice for the stalker camping scene. Peter and Craig, Joanie and Ingrid try and hunt down the perfect camping spot while back ground sound effects are that of something howling. Mountaintop scenes, it covers a lot of ground the way those people are all over the place, from camping, sight seeing, to a massive manhunt. Sheriff Jabba and his fellow rookie get a call about a missing birdwatcher. First, Jabba goes by plane to look at the area to see if he sees anything. Then Dick and Cherry, the honeymooners in the van with a Farrah Fawcett poster under the roof. Dick must be looking at the Farrah poster because Cherie doesn't want to go all the way. But they hear a noise, and Dick gets his gun and the keys, calling out all kinds of funny ass lines to the thing in the woods.

Dr. Maggie takes care of the last two survivors in the hospital, though Peter goes back into the woods looking for Joanie , where she has made her way to the killer's house in the woods. talk about a mess! it's terrible!

There's a girl on roller skates, a guy in a wheelchair, two tourists. It makes the movie seem not no lonely, but the killer doesn't waste any time. Then there's that massive manhunt. Jabba quotes, "keep your Eyes open and your mouth's shut"!

Craig talked all that jive about survival, but there's not much you can do when you go into the woods with no weapons. lol It's a fun camp movie.

*Don't Look in the Basement (1976) A run-down mental institution in the middle of nowhere. A new nurse arrives just days upon the killing of Dr. Stevens by one of the crazed patients. Claudia Jennings stars as the new nurse showing up for an assistant position on a rainy evening. The other doctor, Dr. Masters who seems hesitant about giving her the job. Then stuff starts to happen, the sounds of the nutty patients being heard yelling among the dark halls. And the old woman scouring the premises, scaring Jennings by telling her stories of little green men in the field. I mean, what does she expect, she works in the psycho ward after all!. Crazy and gory twist at the end, revealing who the killer is. Then it's revealed why they aren't suppose to Look in Basement!

Don't Answer the Phone (1980)
    This should be categorized as a true sleaze film. Again, about a psycho who stalks women. I think there's some creepy calling in that one too, which to me seems the only thing watchable about this one.

Don't Open the Door (1975)

Quite vague since I haven't seen this for years. A creepy little flick about odd happenings. This used to sit in the video section and the video sleeve box was huge! Seemingly as I recall, it appears this film is a cross between Don't Look in the Basement and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

Don't Go to Sleep (1982)

A supernatural made- for- TV movie starring Dennis Weaver and Valerie Harper. About a couple who moves into a house where some sort of accident happened to someone. Their 6 year old daughter starts having tea parties with her imaginary ghost friend of which her parents find it's more of a problem.

Moon

2. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

"I'm right on top of that, Rose!"

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw Don't Look In The Basement for the first time recently. Terrible movie, I had a difficult time making it all the way through.

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is my all time fav.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Haha, wow, never thought I'd see a DON'T TELL MOM THE BABYSITTER'S DEAD reference on this or any message board. Kudos, love that movie and love that part with Joanna Cassidy.

I've always had a thing for DON'T movies. The title is such a good tease, and in the case of BASEMENT actually a fine device to build suspense for when the characters actually do make it downstairs.

DON'T GO IN THE HOUSE is a great one that's stuck with me over the years. Those incineration scenes without any music or anything are unbearably disturbing. Great lead performance, too.

6. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Don't Go In the House is my favorite, just nasty and dirty.

7. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Don't Go in the House is an awesome movie. And yes, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead rules too, haha.

I never cared for Don't Open 'Til Christmas but my buddy told me to rewatch it, so maybe I'll do just that this holiday season. Who knows, maybe I'll like it the next tiem around?

8. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

Dishes are done, man!

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who remebers Ren and Stimpy's "Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence " ?

10. Severn

Severn Member

Don’t isn't in the title or anything but whenever I think of "don’t" movies I think of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. A great tale going where you're not supposed to go.

11. MoonGirl84

MoonGirl84 Guest

Yeah, I think Don't Open Til Christmas deserves at least one viewing since we've been talking about Christmas horror.

Don't Open Til Christmas has a good plot. A taste of Britain. And The drunk Santa in the alley always cracks me up.

Scotland Yard=The Police in search of a killer killing Santa Clauses.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Don't..... Don't.... Don't... Don't.. Don't. DON'T!

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Don't Go In the House is one of my favourites.

The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie has the alternative title Don't Open the Window.

It's been a long time since I last saw Don't Open the Door. I remember not liking it as much as I had hoped.

14. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Not really a slasher but how about Dont Look Now?

15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I put Don't Go into the House at the top of my Netflix queue after watching that new Video Nasties documentary.

16. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Hahahaha, I actually said that today.

17. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Tell me how Don't Go in the House is, I've been interesting in buying it for quite some time, is it worth it?

I only have one 'Don't' movie I believe... Don't Go in the Woods.

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Don't Go in the House is a must-own in my books. Sleazy exploitation at its finest.

19. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

"Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead" would have been a great title for a horror/exploitation film.

20. MoonGirl84

MoonGirl84 Guest

You know Chance, I never thought about that, but it's true! That title does have a horror ring to it, more so than a comedy I would say.

I watched Don't Open Til Xmas among about 5 other movies!