Let's watch some lasers in October?

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by ekent, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

FYI, component outputs would be useless, as the video on LD is a composite format. In fact, S-Video is usually a step DOWN in video quality. You see, to get S-Video, the composite signal inherent on the disc must be separated into two components. To do this requires a "comb filter".

In general, the comb filter in a TV is better than the one in a Laserdisc player, thus you will have better performance on LD if you use the composite video out.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Watched Puppet Master 4 and 5 lasers with the kids yesterday!

3. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I completely agree with this. Using my CLD-D406's S-Video output shows a significant loss in quality over the composite out. The same is true when I connect it to a PC.

I still haven't watched any lasers yet :mad:

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

Looking at your list, I would recommend H20 or Dawn of the Dead. Speaking of which, got enough copies?

Reminds me that I need to get my remaining lasers into lddb.com someday.

5. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

I'll have to try out my laserdisc player again. I always used S-Video. Ever since I got an HDTV in 2001 LD's have been completely unwatchable for me. Good thing I only have about 70 of them.

6. ekent

Oddly enough, no :) I still need the two German LDs, as well as the Japanese Dawn Conclusion set, then I'll have enough!

I love lddb, great design and information pool.

I might pop in H20, it has been a while.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

Not a half bad movie. They should have ended the series there. Amazing DTS track, too.

What's the Conclusion set have?

8. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

[​IMG]

Just picked up a shameless favorite of mine on Laserdisc, William Lustig's Hit List, released in 1989. This got a very limited release, I remember it being in like 2 theaters in Jersey. Great gratuitous, B-movie violence fun from Lustig, although one of his tamer works.

Great cast with Jan-Michael Vincent, Lance Henriksen, Leo Rossi, Charles Napier and Rip Torn! Not on DVD, so I'm reduced to this standard, bare-bones LD. Always loved the cover.

-UJ

9. ekent

George Romero's "Zombie: Dawn of the Dead" Conclusion on Bandai/Emotion #BILF-9003 NTSC Japanese LaserDisc boxset. This 1998 fantastic deluxe package includes:

the feature film, 139 minutes, digitally restored, spread over 5 sides in CAV for best possible picture quality, 57 chapter stops, letterboxed, in English with Japanese subtitles

extras on the 6th side (also CAV): theater and TV trailers, radio spot, gallery of stills, photos of posters and collectors item

an OST CD, in cardboard sleeve, 10 tracks running over 32 minutes, music by Goblin in collaboration with Dario Argento
    Each disc has its own sleeve with gorgeous artwork, the box is red and white on black with matching obi.

I'm just a collector. Nothing that isn't available on another release.

10. ekent

Now that looks awesome, I may have to track that down. I've never heard of it.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Bummer. Only finished October with four.

3. Ring

Interesting to watch without subtitles. I've seen it enough times on DVD and know enough Japanese to get the gist of things...but I think next time I'll go with a subbed DVD.

4. The Blair Witch Project

While this doesn't scare me like it did the first time, I'm amazed at how well it still draws me in. I find myself totally engrossed in the story, I don't know why.

I'm thinking of making my Halloween movie marathon a 2-night affair this year, so maybe throw in a couple more LDs tomorrow night