LIFETIME Subscription to FANGORIA Magazine

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Nov 16, 2013.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but I subscribed to HorrorHound a while ago and still haven't received it. My first issue should have been Jan/Feb. :(

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just ordered a subscription to Horrorhound.

[​IMG]

3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I think it just came out.

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I subscribed on and off to Fango (probably around 13/14, then twice in my 20s) and bought endless individual issues over the years but I just don't buy magazines at all, anymore. I will buy oversized coffee-table books or Thrower's Nightmare USA, etc. Stuff that is a big one-time cost but with hours and hours of ad-free researched information. But a magazine? No. I feel bad that an institution is going down but at the same time nothing lasts forever and there was an opportunity to re-orient Fangoria into a powerhouse website/forum/etc. to continue that strong brand name that never materialized.

The lesson for every company, every individual and myself: evolve, evolve, evolve.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

This reminds me that I likely have 8 months worth of Horrorhound mags that I have on hold down at the local comic shop.

I loved Fangoria in the mid 80s but I've only bought it a few times since, last one around the time Jason X was released I think.

6. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

In the early 80's fangoria ignored so many great slashers and even humanoids from the deep got ditched, and little films like the boogens, evilspeak happy birthday to me. frightmare ect.. They covered the hell out of creepshow for almost 2 straight years...

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It really doesn't surprise me at all, but I was wondering why it has been unavailable on any newsstands for so long.

I never bothered with a subscription to Fangoria, and always just browsed it leisurely whenever I saw it on the shelf. I rarely ever found any issues that were interesting enough overall to purchase a copy to be honest.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

It all started when one issue was not received by subscribers. They had a standard message to everyone that there was a problem with the printing and it would eventually come out. Meanwhile they had the cover and all details of the issue on their website. Then they showed the details of the next issue. neither got published.

For me personally, I only received 2 issues out of my year subscription. I doubt it but you would think they would be pro rating at least. They haven't answered emails for 5 months. I've emailed to 2 different major fangoria contacts several times. All you get is an automated message explaining the issue delay. Nothing is answered personally. I even "changed" the subject matter to something different. Still exact same auto message. Years ago they had the telephone number. There isn't one anymore or I would have called it 5 months ago.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  9. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Yeah, sounds like you're SOL, baggio. Bummer.

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Interesting note. I still have every email sent. And noticed they changed their email contact addresses(on their webpage) three times in the last year. All the email addresses currently are not the same ones I used a couple of months ago. For fun I just sent another email. In the subject line, I wrote nothing about "subscriptions" or "issue". Let's see if I get an automated message like several times before.

11. CPT HOOK

Yay! I finally received my first issue from my HorrorHound subscription a while back! Go figure, it's as I'm heading out the door to work. :(

Excited to dig in when I get home tonight!

Harry Warden likes this.
  12. Harry Warden

Be interested in knowing what you think of Horrorhound. IMO, I think it's pretty decent. Bi-monthly and only $6.99 an issue.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Three weeks ago I sent Fangoria an email. ..................................... Zero response. What an incompetent company. They should be ashamed of themselves.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Try messaging them on Facebook, it looks like they still post regularly on there.

baggio likes this.
  15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Same here, just arrived today. First issue. March/April

Harry Warden likes this.
  16. Harry Warden

Let us know what you think about Horrorhound.

17. CPT HOOK

The main feature of this month's issue is Mystery Science Theater 3000, which isn't really my thing, so I can't say I was crazy about this issue. There is a nice article on Arrow Video, even lining up all their great cover art.

Next month looks to be focused on the upcoming Tom Cruise Mummy reboot. Again, not really my thing, but I'm still looking forward to the issue. $30 for a year subscription (6 issues) is pretty cheap, especially in comparison to the other genre mags out there.

I will say I have some of their past issues I picked up off the stand that are specifically focused on topics I love (Tales From The Crypt, Slashers A - Z, Friday The 13th, etc) and they did a terrific job. If you're interested in what is on the cover, then you're in for a treat.

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

Anyone check out the full moon magazine? Curious on that one.

19. Harry Warden

How did it arrive? Is it mailed in an envelope or a polybag? Can you see the cover in a polybag? etc..and what condition did it arrive in - CPT Hook or Baggio?

20. CPT HOOK

It was mailed in a transparent polybag with the mailing address printed on the bag. Mine arrived in perfect condition.

Harry Warden likes this.