Lifetime TV Movies? Horror? Oh my!

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I surprisingly found myself enjoying two films that were apparently aired on Lifetime TV a few years ago:

The Haunting of Sorority Row is an obvious rip-off of House on Sorority Row, but with a supernatural element in the story. At times the plot gets cheesy and the special effects are often laughably cheap, but I found it to be a lot of fun.

Devil's Diary is somewhat a rip-off of The Craft in a few obvious ways, except there's no "witches" per se. Two girls find an old book (blank inside except for a warning) late at night in a cemetery, yet one begins to write down her thoughts and desires in the book anyway...and these seemingly come true. There are some comedic characters in this one (think Clueless/Heathers), and the ending is rather predictable. I liked the overall look of the film however, and the characters were engaging.

These were obviously made-for-TV and targeting a teenage audience, but they're not all that tame. Devil's Diary particularly has several notable death scenes...albeit not that gory.

And beyond the fact that the percentage of main characters in both films are overwhelmingly female, they're entertaining for the opposite sex. If they didn't have "Lifetime" stamped on the DVD covers, I never would have guessed where they originally came from.

Two others are The Gathering and Hush Little Baby, but I have yet to check those...

2. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

A few years back I read Anne Rivers Siddon's The House Next Door - a great story with a very Turn of the Screw-like psychological aspect to it. Lifetime went and turned it into a movie starring the stretched and bloated remains of Lara Flynn Boyle. It wasn't good. Every time she was on screen, her face was so distracting that I lost the ability to focus on the movie. It might have been better had they cast someone else, but the only memory I have of this movie is that terrifying face.

3. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

I almost bough The Haunting of Sorority Row.

I never minded TV Movies. I have many in my collection.

4. JIMX1975

JIMX1975 Member

I saw the The Haunting on Sorority Row a while back I thought it was pretty good too. Plus Leighton Meester is in it. I will have to watch for the other one you saw.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I can't say I've been impressed with the Lifetime originals I have seen. The only two I remember watching were Nightmare with Haylie Duff and Lois Duncan's Stranger With My Face. I thought both movies were pretty boring.

I really enjoy the movie I've Been Waiting For You, which they air on Lifetime quite frequently. I think it originally aired on NBC though.

They also used to air the Dean Koontz Intensity miniseries, but that originally aired on Fox.

Years ago, I remember catching The Midnight Hour on there.

I wish they would bring back old school Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack. They used to air it all the time. I can't find the Robert Stack ones on any channel. It is just not the same with Dennis Farina. And I can't stand the new CSI look they are going for.

6. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

It only takes 3mins of a lifetime movie before it sucks you in.

It's the venus flytrap of television.

7. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

I love The Devil's Diary and I want to pick it up soon!! The Girls in the Movie are Hot and the Death Scenes are Pretty Creative!! I want to see The Haunting Of Sorority Row because I love Leighton Meester and it sounds like a Cool little Movie!!

8. Katatonia

If you liked Devil's Diary, you'll also enjoy The Haunting of Sorority Row. The actress (Lisa Marie Caruk) who played the head sorority sister is also quite good in the film.

9. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I don't know if this is a Lifetime original or not, but Lifetime is the only place I've ever seen this film- Within (2009) about a young girl who witnesses the murder of her mother and finds that she has the gift (or curse?) of seeing the evil spirits that reside within people. This movie was suprising... a strong plot, multi-threaded narrative, a great, spooky supernatural atmosphere that serves as a plot device and shocking scenes of violence by and against children.
    Even if this is not a Lifetime original, kudos to Lifetime for carrying it as this is a great DTV (DT-TV?) flick.

10. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

So you admit to watch lifetime TV Kat? Come out the closet why don't you! Hell dude I don't like that channel at all. :gay:

11. Katatonia

Nope, I only rented the DVD's! :evil:

12. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Sure, sure dude whatever tell it to the judge! :rolleyes:

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Not horror, but Dead Silence is a good little movie I saw on Lifetime a while back. It involves Renee Estevez and friends trying to cover up a hit and run. For the record, it's way better than the James Wan crapfest that shares it's title. I actually saw Wishcraft on Lifetime originally too, though obviously not an actual Lifetime movie.

14. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

LOL... I own the James Wan crapfest. Bought it because it was available on HD-DVD when so little other horror was. I think it starts off very promising but, may 1/2 to 2/3 through, it does turn into one ridiculous pile of sh*t.

15. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I don't know anything about his persona life, but maybe Katatonia is married and his spouse... uh, forces him... to watch the occassional Lifetime movie. If so, I sympathize, dude. Believe me... I do.:cry:

16. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

I just recorded 2 movies off Lifetime Movie Network last night... basically because of this thread.

The Haunting of Sorority Row
    That Katatonia Recommended in this thread...

Secrets in the Walls
    Single mom Rachel Easton and her two daughters move from their cramped Detroit apartment to the suburbs when Rachel gets an irresistible deal on her dream house. But with the night comes scratching from within the walls, distant cries, and a figure of a young woman in the shifting shadows of the basement. As the haunting intensifies, Rachel and her friend must uncover the horrifying secret of what happened in the house years ago to save her family.

basically it was also on last night and sounded like it "could" be interesting. I have hopes of enjoying both since I do like TV movies in general.

17. Mytee

Mytee Guest

Anybody see Destination Infestation on Lifetime awhile back? I liked this-a direct rip on Snakes on a Plane but I enjoy that sort of movie-grade B drive-in sortof classic!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIzUouh_1Yk