L'Inferno aka Dante's Inferno on DVD!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by KR~!, Oct 17, 2004.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Ever since I heard about this classic gem, I always wanted to see it, one of the true holy grails of horror is now on DVD!

[​IMG]

L'Inferno (1911) is a fantastical journey into the imagination of Dante as we travel through hell encountering angels, demons and Lucifer himself. This new release is scored by Europe's top film composers Tangerine Dream and brings this silent film into the modern age in an extraordinary and powerful synthesis of old and new.

Giuseppe de Liguoro's epic masterpiece, inspired by the illustrations of the 19th century artist Gustav Doré, took over three years to make and was the first full length Italian feature film ever made. L'Inferno was first screened in Naples in the Teatro Mercadante on the 10th of March 1911. It's success was not confined to Italy, it was an international hit taking more than $2 million in the United States alone, today's equivalent of a major blockbuster.

The music is composed and performed by Tangerine Dream who show once again why they are considered one of the world top film composers as well as top recording artists. Composed and performed by Edgar Froese and Jerome Froese their music gives a voice to this silent epic.

DVD FEATURES
    Fullframe Version
    English intertitles
    Optional Italian, French, German and Spanish subtitles
    Trailer

2. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I'm a definately interested in this. Anyone have it? How's the quality?

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

How is the Tangerine Dream track?

4. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

I show a release date of 10/26/04 for the R1. Don't know about other regions. I would be interested in this film, but I must admit I know NOTHING about it yet...

5. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Who is selling this? Is it region 1? I cant find it for order/pre order at dvdempire etc...

6. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

7. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

It is NOT a music video, the movie never had any sound, so only the soundtrack is new, which is just music.

Here is the cover for the R1 release (I think):

[​IMG]

Learn about the film here, at it's own website! http://www.linferno.com

8. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

I meant no offence. I am surprised that there is so little information about this film, or, more specifically, this particular release. A review by Channel 4 seems to indicate that there are NO extras, and I was a tad disappointed by the trailer on the l'Inferno site, but I really have no basis for comparison. I know nothing about the film, and even the fairly reliable silentera.com has NO information.

Any old silent needs carefull restoration to look it's best, and that also requires using the best available print - preferably not a reduction print. Of course, having the right company do the restoration is the difference between a great release and a poor public domain release. Hopefully the original score was still available (there would have been music, played at the theatre by a live person or band), maybe an orchestral score even, but something.

Having sounded like a whining girly-man, let me state again - I know nothing about this film. If you or another poster gets this DVD in your hand and posts that it is a wonderfull movie, I will find a place to rent or buy it. But right now, I am not sold.

Where did you hear about it? Not necessarily this release, but the movie itself...

9. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

At one of my college classes.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I'm two years late, but finally you can read a full review - with screenshots - at this place here.

A taste is:

L'Inferno is astonishing on several levels. Firstly, it was the first Italian feature film ever made, secondly it was a huge hit at the time of its release (apparently it took two million dollars at the box office, which adds up to a lot of tickets). Thirdly, it includes every imaginable special effects trick that had hitherto been developed, packed inside an almost 70 minute running time. L'Inferno, in short, was clearly an event.

That major motion pictures today take years to produce, with hundreds of technicians working behind the scenes to architect FX sequences and the like, is accepted. However, when you consider that L'Inferno was made over three years, starting in 1908, with a cast and crew totalling 150 people, it's really something else. The filmmakers at that time were dedicated folk, pushing a new art form forward. The beauty of it was, their naivety meant they never let imagination be curtailed. That the things seen in L'Inferno were even attempted, let alone realized, is something we should all hold in the highest regard.

The film takes as its source the first part of Dante's Inferno, by way of the illustrations of Gustave Dore. Our lead, Dante Alighieri, looking for the path to enlightenment, is guided by Virgilio through the rings of hell. As the film progresses we get what is essentially a set of vignettes, portraying scenes from the great poem.

As we are led through the various rings of hell, Liguoro depicts each frightening sequence with confidence and aplomb. The poem is perfectly suited as a visual treat, if the filmmaker has the wherewithal to truly go for it. Liguoro clearly did, depicting burning souls, men turned to trees spouting arterial blood, a man eating the head of his enemy, decapitation, and limbless bodies. Demons swoop, lunge, and threaten to tear men asunder, angels rescue from castle walls, giants carry men deeper into the abyss - all the fantastical wonder you could imagine is packed within the running time.

If you're into classic films, classic silent films, then you'll need no recommendation from me to go visit this one. That the print is (almost) complete, and looks pretty good, will be enough inspiration. For those not usually drawn toward such things, well I say it's worth a visit. It easily sits alongside other classics such as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu as essential viewing. Rejoice in the glory of L'Inferno!

The full review covers the soundtrack (both good and day news), the condition of the print, and a whole lot more.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Fulci anyone?

[​IMG]

12. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

13. Severn

Severn Member

Good call on that one. I'v had my eye on this flick but it fell off my radar. Now it's back on.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ship to Shore will be putting this out on July 15th. Doesn't look to include the Tangerine Dream soundtrack.

15. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

This has been on my wishlist for some time, really amazing visuals for a film of it's age.

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

While I appreciate that these films would normally be heard with your traditional organ or brass soundtrack, I find that silent films possess an amazing symbiosis with synthetic music. Electronic music really exudes an inexplicable sense of wonder that really lends well to these movies that are just starting to discover the life of cinema. After hearing it with the Tangerine Dream track, I can't imagine seeing the film with anything but.

EDIT: I could have sworn I posted on the film on this board before. Since it's not here, I'll just say that I loved it and would definitely recommend it to fans of horror or silent cinema. Some truly breathtaking images, many horrific and many an amazing display of early optical trickery. The Tangerine Dream track really lends well to the epic visuals. The whole movie feels like one giant macabre journey, which is what it should, considering the subject matter. Highly, highly recommended!

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Glad you like this one, Rhett. Though I wholeheartedly disagree on the soundtrack. It's not a matter of whether electronic music can or cannot work - but whether the music compliments what's on the screen. For years now - every time Tangerine Dream introduce vocals, their magic is broken. uch is the case here, reciting the poems at various points is a huge mistake.

Mind you, Tangerine Dream have basically been washed up since the 90's. Better - if they wanted an electronic score like this - they'd have gone to Klaus Schulze or even Brian Eno (after all, he has ties into Philip Glass who did a fine job with Dracula). That si, artists with a little more emotional depth than the Wal-Mart brand Tangerine Dream dish up these days. The music seems to exist above and beyond the film, which is a shame.

If this ever got reissued with another soundtrack I'd rebuy.

18. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

I appreciate the discussion regarding the soundtrack, but to be realistic about it (and to stay as original as possible) I am sure there were no quibbles regarding it when the film first came out.

For me, (imo) I try to view the film like it would be presented to me originally. I can safely say Tangerine Dream had nuthhin to do with it.

ETA; not trying to be outta line here fellas/

Quite frankly, I like silent movies because I can put any soundtrack to it that I prefer.
    For instance, I think Metropolis looks great with Operation Mindcrime.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think when rare films like this come out, people are just glad to have them. How else to explain the acceptance of some the lame Kino releases? Great films, but man some of the synthetic soundtracks they've dished up have stank.

I'm glad to have this, don't get me wrong. The music isn't one of the reasons why though, and TD should never have been involved. Maybe in their Rubycon days they could have pulled it off.....