Lion's Gate: Infection

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by thrashard76, May 23, 2005.

1. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

[​IMG]

Synopsis: Evil Is Contagious

A patient inia hospital dies dueito malpractice. Inia panic, theidoctors responsible stageia cover-up. Shortly thereafter, another patient isileft at theihospital doors dying of bizarre symptoms. When theipatient dies, theidoctors involvediin theicover-up begin acting strangely...then one byione develop theisame mysterious andideadly symptoms.

I may have missed a thread on this movie but does anyone know if this one is any good? Is it an uncut version? I ask because if I'm not mistaken it supposed to be pretty decent.

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

there was an article for it in the latest Fangoria and it sounds pretty cool. I think I'll have to check it out. Sounds nice n gooey.

3. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Thanks thrash. I've been thinking about starting a thread on this one since I saw it for sale last week at Best Buy. The Amazon customers had some good words for it also. Definitely a title I may be willing to take a blind buy chance on.

And this J-Horror probably needs to go in the "Asian Horror" forum, if a mod catches it.

Oh, and not to stress a brother out, but billy DID pick up a copy of this over the weekend.....so a "Yay" or "Nay" should be coming from his piehole any day...hell, any minute now. :p ;)

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Yepper, my goof. I knew better to throw this one in the General section. Thanks Mission. I saw this one at Circuit City the other day for $20 and it looked damn interesting. I was actually looking for A Tale Of Two Sisters and or Phone but struck out on both. A barebones release and for $20, I hope if it is good that I can get it at a fairer price somewhere.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've seen it sitting on the rental shelves lately. I almost rented it, but passed on it for something else. I did glance through the Fangoria article and the movie sounds pretty good. I'll have to pick it up next time...

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I love the italicized quotes, written as only asian subtitles could be written :)

Interesting, though $20 is a bit steep. Those big brains at Amazon are giving it the thumbs up...

7. logboy

logboy Guest

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I'll try to watch it this week and post my thoughts asap :)

9. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I saw this several days ago. Fell asleep the first time, fell asleep the second time and barely got through it the third time. Rent it, don't buy it. I believe this is the 2nd movie from the J-Horror unit. The emphasis seems to be on recreating somthing from past Japanese success's rather then doing something original.

10. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

no it(Infection) is the first in the J-Horror Theater series.

11. Maxvayne

Maxvayne Guest

Can someone explain what is the J-Horror Theater series.

12. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

If you can read Japanese visit the site http://www.j-horror.com/

Otherwise...

If you're a fan of Japanese horror films, this is a project that should have you about ready to fill your pants. Realizing that Japanese horror was becoming a hot ticket world wide producer Taka Ichise pulled together the cream of the Japanese horror film community - easy enough to do since he produces them all - to put together a six part film anthology titled, aptly enough, J-Horror Theater. Who's involved? Hideo (The Ring) Nakata, Kiyoshi (Cure, Kairo) Kurosawa, and Takashi (Ju-On) Shimizu, among others.

13. Maxvayne

Maxvayne Guest

Thanks, I have been hearing all about the praise it's beeen gettign and hopfully Ill get to watching it soon.

14. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

...and the Apple turned green.

This is more like average J-Horror I suppose. Infection is nowhere in the league of A Tale Of Two Sisters, Audition or even Dark Water. The opening is kinda confusing and a bit dull, but once the 'infected' arrives at the hospital shit really hits the fan and things get even weirder than before ...
    One needs a little patience with this green goo-oozing patient, the good stuff certainly comes in the second half of this movie. Plus, you'll be rewarded with yet another twist ending - and because of that, Infection gets 6 outta 10 from me. Still not great but worth a looksy.

15. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Thanks for the review billy. :)

I think I just veered over to a "rent first", thanks to DDM and billy's respective reviews. :)

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--If you're a fan of Japanese horror films, this is a project that should have you about ready to fill your pants.--

Does it really say that? If so, how very lame. I can assure them, my pants will remain clean.

The main issue here is the price. I too saw it, but it was $20 - way too much.

I have the sneaky feeling that all the truly great Asian films are out there. There is now a second flood of second-rate efforts hitting us (which still might be better than 3rd rate US films). I've seen a few poor ones now, and even the "hit" ones are not very good, imo.

17. Il Corvo

Il Corvo Guest

Thought it was "ok". The first half was great, but the movie really drags towards the end. I would recommend it as a rental.

18. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

That's odd Il Corvo, everybody else thinks the beginning is slow and dull while the second half is great. I don't know as I haven't seen it, I just found that to be somewhat interesting.

19. Il Corvo

Il Corvo Guest

Yep, well I like how they build up the setting slowly. At first, it looks like an episode of : E.R., but then when they receive this new patient, things really gets interesting quickly. The second half however, gets really predictable (except for the "twist" ending), that's why I lost interest.

20. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I got one word to some up Premonition... sucks! I think the problem with this J-Horror series is that they are targeting the foreign market. The films that were made for the Japanese market were generally good, now that they are trying to export their horror... it's just not working.