Logan (2017) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Mar 2, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Logan (2017, James Mangold)

This is the third Wolverine film and the final time Hugh Jackman will play the iconic character as well as the final time Patrick Stewart will play Professor X. All the big players took a pay-cut so that they could make the film R rated which is something the fans have been asking for since Wolverine hit the big screen in X-Men back in 2000. So we get here a more stripped back story set in 2029 with an older Logan is more akin in tone to what the director intended in the last outing 'The Wolverine (2013)' but the studio interjected with a flashy cgi finale. This time the gloves are off with the curse words and blood are flying.

Despite a slightly futuristic setting this one feels the most grounded in reality that a super hero film has been since Unbreakable (2000). It is well made film that is not bogged down by trashy computer effects and is well acted all around. However even with all the pluses going for this film which makes it the best solo Wolverine film yet, I get the feeling that Wolverine just is not meant to be a solo player as his best appearances are in team films such as X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014). The first half is pretty great but then it goes through a pretty dull patch and despite all their best efforts i never really felt any emotion for a lot of the somber events in the film.

All in all, it was great to see an R Rated Logan film and it was as good a send off as we could have hoped but for whomever they cast next, I hope we just see him in team up films or guesting in other characters films.
    6-6.5/10

Steel76 likes this.
  2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention, the film has a terrific score, easily the best score wolvy has had

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

Can't wait!

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

let me know what you think when you see it

5. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

Will do!

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this one :)

It was slow burn at times, which I liked, cause when it was time for action again, it felt really explosive.

And holy shit did it deliver on the violence and gore!

The girl was great in the role.
    She even left Wolverine in the dust, when it came to deliver the punishment :D

This was a great ending to the adventures of Logan.

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I was more invested in the early violence, there was only a few moments in the third act that hit the mark action wise for me.