London After Midnight 'Almost' Found?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, Jul 24, 2008.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I hesitate to report this, as it could be non-news but I feel that the possible gain is worth whatever backlash may occur if found untrue: LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT - LOST CLASSIC FOUND!

I would like to cut and paste some blurbs, but unfortunately the article isn't concise enough to do that. The gist is that while two peons at the factory have independently found it, no one with any authority has taken the initiative to get it restored and release.

On the film side, some film archivist have come up with a few holes in the story. Most notably the description of why it could be mistakenly listed as incomplete doesn't make real sense. Also no one has been able to step forward and confirm this man's job position(s). Ted Newsom has been verified, but he never saw the physical print.

So all that can be done right now is just what the article asks, that Warner by bombarded by calls asking for this print to be relocated. Then hope for the best.

2. Spit

Spit Active Member

This is pretty exciting. I'd never heard of the film till now, but I do enjoy most of Tod Browning films and would love to see the copy that this guy had his hands on in '89 turn up. The article took me forever to read though, I feel like I know this dudes life story by now. He seems to update his post anytime something happens, so I'll definitely be checking back periodically to see if hes made any progress.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'd like to get excited by it, but I have no doubt it's a hoax. Such a find would cause quite a stir. These crop up every now and again, I'm afraid. Some people will do anything for some attention. :(

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^ It may be a well intended hoax. Ted Newsom's account, who saw the database listing, has been verified. So perhaps someone decided that the best way to get people to listen is to make up a story of how they've physically seen the print, that it is intact and in pristine condition. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, as they say.

AICN reports someone has verified the story:
    I'd link, but the source I read that from didn't link and I REFUSE to read AICN so I'm not even going to go there to grab a link.

So now we have some more names, as well as Rosalind Dewitt. That fits too.

Hopefully AiCN's interest will get someone's ass in gear somewhere and this can be sorted out. This has also been brought to Robert Harris' attention, so maybe we can get some movement there (as he did some digging of his own on the Dracula rumor as well).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, soon after the lost footage from Metropolis was found, it was a word wide story. This? Message boards and "news" posts from barely literate nobodies. No very convincing. ...

6. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Sid is another legend like Rhett Legend.

Horror Legends who make sacifices for the ultimate goal of HORRORART.

We can only be honored to read their adventures.

I enjoyed reading the guy's story. Infact his story should be published alongside the future dvd of London after Midnight if it's done, because the story actually increases the hype and myth of the film.

It's like Horror Treasure.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  7. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Its a pretty much holy grail type of film. No real buzz spells Hitler diary style hoax.

8. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

After reading the discoverer's account, it reeks of total bullshit..

Why didn't this guy raise an alarm the moment he found it? LAM was the holy grail of lost cinema even back then..

Now, just out of the blue he says something? The whole story surrounding the find that he wrote has this shisterish tone.

9. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I'm sure it is a hoax. Since I'm a huge collector of silent films LAM is sadly a much "hoaxed" topic. I can't say how many times this movie and countless others "have been found!" Not too long ago there a was big stir on silent message boards about a lost F.W. Murnau film called "4 Devils" being found. When professors from UCLA started to post on the topic saying they would like to help with preservation and stuff the original poster disappeared fast without a trace.

I think the closest way we'll get to see LAM is the "still reconstructed" version that gets played occassionally on TCM.

I think ( don't take my word as gospel) LAM was destroyed by MGM during WWII when they took old silents and melted them for the silver nitrate or whatever to give for the War. Because of this many stars at MGM lost a title or two. I think MGM melted all prints of the Greta Garbo film "The Divine Woman." Only 15 minutes of it have been found and sometimes this clip gets played on TCM between features.

10. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Looks like a bunch of assholes on that board. They're quick to shout down (if not outright ban) anyone who questions the tragic tale of some doofus delivery boy who searched out this holy grail of film, fondled the print, then stuck it back on the shelf and let it sit for 20 years. Not exactly the best way to move their cause forward.

11. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ted Newsom says he's been in contact with UCLA, but that they'd get back to him shortly.

Someone on HorrorDrunx got this response from UCLA:
    Based on the fallout it looks pretty clear that Sid Terror pulled some facts out of his ass and is on damage control now. Horrordrunx also passed off a colorized version of the Bride of Frankenstien in order to "prove a point" about how wrong colorization is. I'm sure this is the same mentality that concocted this London After Midnight finding in order to bring film preservation to the forefront.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Surprised? Not!

I'm not even disapointed, I never believed this.