Lost After Dark

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Mok likes this.
  2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I have had this on my harddrive for weeks and tuth be told I'm stalling. The trailer looks just plain bad but somewhat so so OK. I think the poster is the selling focal point. I don't understand why we can not emulate 80's movies. So many slashers were made on a handyman budget. Yet we just can't capture that spirit anymore. I think todays actors just plain flat out suck. You can tell everyone is acting unlike before in the 80's. Allot of that generations actors knew their craft. Even first time actors knew their shit and delivered. Everytime I watch these modern slashers I just want to turn it off. Hopefully some possitive reviews will be forthcoming. In the meantime I'll just hide under my bed. :eek:

3. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I had this in my que on Netflix originally but quickly removed it once I saw this trailer about a week or so ago. I've really had enough of these throw back slasher films as of late considering so many of them have been pretty pathetic.

Dobby likes this.
  4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

@Hatchetwarrior
    Yeah I'm pretty much in agreement with you.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The DVDTalk review is certainly more of a good sell than the trailer, I'll admit that.

What I'm hoping for is that the goofy "we're so 80s!" vibe from the trailer is only at the beginning, then it turns in to a true slasher flick.

6. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I'd be fine with 80s slasher throwbacks if they actually took care in recreating instead of parodying the decade. Or were good.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Best Buy always has the new release Anchor Bay movies for $9.99 or $12.99 on release week, so I'm blind-buying both this and The Curse Of Downer's Grove next week. Looks like both will be $9.99 each for the blu-rays.

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I caught this last summer at a film fest and it was pretty so-so. Characters and writing were all pretty bland and the whole movie is formulaic, but it did deliver in the kills and was surprisingly violent.

9. Dave

Dave Pimp

I have yet to see a modern day low budget slasher that is good. Hopefully I am proven wrong some day. I think Dobby nailed the reason why. But I also think it has to do with budgets these days, not just acting.

In the late 70s Phantasm was made for $300,000 (if my memory is correct). That was a shoestring budget. Yet how many movies these days are made for far less? People grab a digital camera and think they can make a movie. At least low budget in the 80s was just that. Low budget now is no budget.

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

my bestbuy is super small so i dunno if they will carry lost after dark if they do i'll be picking it up

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's matched at Amazon now. Lost in the Dark looks promising and I'm blind buying it for that price. The Curse Of Downer's Grove looks iffy and more worthy of a rental though... is it a revenge film, or horror? o_O

12. CPT HOOK

I think it's just a teen thriller? Not entirely sure myself. It's been reviewed on a few of the horror sites, and one of them mentioned that it really isn't a horror movie. I remember it being on sites like Dread Central and such during pre-production (it was supposed to be a big theatrical movie and Hayden Panettiere was to star). Plus, the screenplay was written by Bret Easton Ellis.

But $9.99 for a new release blu-ray, I'm totally game for that. I'm actually really excited for both movies, should be a fun double feature come Tuesday night.

13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

14. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-of-downers-grove-tl-0820-20150813-story.html

I pretty much lost interest in the film after reading that.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

16. CPT HOOK

Was able to pick up the Lost After Dark blu-ray in store at Best Buy today, and also grabbed The Curse Of Downers Grove and Exeter on blu-ray for the same price. They also had The Harvest and Backcountry for $9.99 each, so lots of new release horror to choose from!

Can't wait to watch, especially Lost After Dark. It was fun to buy B&M for a change.

Exeter is the new film from Marcus Nispel (the remakes of TCM and F13). So if nothing else, it should be beautiful to look at.

[​IMG]

17. CPT HOOK

Watched this last night and have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. The characters were so dull and poorly written. It takes 45 minutes into the movie for the first kill, and getting there was a bit of a chore. There was some fun slasher movie stuff in the last half, just wish they had put some effort into the writing and pacing. Varsity Blood did the throwback "jocks getting picked off in an abandoned farmhouse" thing better.

I watched Curse Of Downers Grove right before it and found that much more engaging, even though it isn't a horror movie at all. It's more of a teen revenge kind of thing. Haven't had a chance to watch Exeter yet.

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i thought it was very fun slasher film was entertained the entire 85 minutes the kills were all pretty cool as well

19. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I have this and I am holding out, but anticipate the performance from Robert Patrick.

20. sade

sade Active Member

Is it just me or is this flick really dark? I had flashbacks from AVP Requiem.