Lost River (2014)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Ash28M, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

[​IMG]

Suprised this doesn't have a thread. This was right up my alley. Gosling creates a nightmarish world that takes place in a dying city. Where a mother takes a shaddy job at a freaky underground club in order to keep her house and family afloat. Obviously influenced by Lynch, Gosling shows a real talent in creating a surreal atmosphere. Matt Smith also plays against type brilliantly. I'm sure half of you are going to hate it. The plot's pretty thin but for me it doesn't have to have much of a story. Just create me a nightmarish world, drop me off there and let me take in the experience. Hopefully some of you will enjoy this one.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Caught it on HBO a couple months ago and it didn't really do much for me. Visually interesting, but the script was a hollow bore. The movie takes place in an old run down slum, where all the lead actors are clean beautiful well-groomed supermodels while the more authentic characters are relegated to extras. On top of that, you have characters named Billy, Bully, Bones, etc, and I had a tough time keeping track of which name belonged to which character. I will say kudos for casting the still glamorous Barbara Steele, it was wonderful to see her on the screen again.

I will also give credit to Ryan Gosling for stepping away from his big A-list acting career to make something so unconventional and un-Hollywood. You can tell it was a passion project and there is creativity on display here, even if the movie itself didn't click for me. I'd be game to see him step behind the camera again, but hope he'd consider bringing in a writing partner or finding a script with a little more meat on its bones.

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I found it pretty.......but also pretty boring. Soundtrack is great though.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I kinda liked it but not one i would revisit often