Lowell Dean's Halloween Top Ten 2014

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 22, 2014.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Every year we partner with the fine folks at Anchor Bay Entertainment Canada to give you a special Top Ten list from a current horror director. Last year we had Halloween’s favorite damsel in distress, Danielle Harris, and we’ve had other greats like Jennifer Lynch, Paul Solet and Maurice Devereaux. This year we’re proud to feature one of Canada’s best up and coming genre filmmakers, Lowell Dean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Every year we partner with the fine folks at Anchor Bay Entertainment Canada to give you a special Top Ten list from a current horror director. Last year we had Halloween’s favorite damsel in distress, Danielle Harris, and we’ve had other greats like Jennifer Lynch, Paul Solet and Maurice Devereaux. This year we’re proud to feature one of Canada’s best up and coming genre filmmakers, Lowell Dean, the writer/director of werewolf hybrid hit, WOLFCOP. Read below as he howls to the moon about these 11(!) horror picks for Halloween this year. You can also reach him on Twitter at @lolofilm.

I'm not going to list any werewolf films because that's too predictable!

[​IMG]
    Bonus 11. Rear Window (1954)

My favourite Hitchcock film, and my favourite suspense film. While not super scary, it is always a joy to watch and I revisit it at least once a year.

[​IMG]
    10. Night of the Living Dead(1968)

George A. Romero's classic. A truly original, independent horror film. It is brilliant for laying the ground work for all zombie films to come, and also for being so simple and so scary. I revisit it often, usually around Hallowe'en.

[​IMG]
    9. Pontypool (2008)

There have been many great zombie films since Night of the Living Dead, but Pontypool is worth checking out because it is – in my opinion - the best Canadian zombie film. I also love it for the unique approach it takes to infection, a twist that I won't spoil here!

[​IMG]
    8. Zombie (1979)

Fulci's take on the undead is quite absurd, and has some truly wonderful gore. Also, there is a scene in which a zombie actually fights a shark. Your arguments are invalid.

[​IMG]
    7. Jaws (1976)

The first film that truly scared me. I was afraid to take a bath after watching it - which defies all logic, I know. To this day I look out for fins when I'm in the ocean, the lake, or the bathtub. Spielberg's Jaws is more than a few cheap scares, it is a truly great film in every respect. Holds up wonderfully.

[​IMG]
    6. Alien (1979)

The greatest science fiction horror film. It set the tone for so many that followed. Truly terrifying, especially the iconic “chest bursters” scene. I recently re-watched it, and was surprised at how little you actually see of the alien before the final showdown. All suspense!

[​IMG]
    5. The Omen (1976)

If you are thinking of having kids, watch the Omen. You never know, your child could be Satan! Just something to think about. I'm a big fan of Richard Donner, and his foray into the horror genre does not disappoint. Haunting and truly creepy.

[​IMG]
    4. The Thing (1982)

I need a John Carpenter film on this list, and The Thing is a perfect Hallowe'en movie. Again, we have an isolated gang, but this time they are not in outer space, or a boat, or a cabin – they are in the Antarctic. Kurt Russell is great (as always) and a big stand out here is the practical effects. Truly jaw dropping, and they hold up! A classic science fiction suspense film with some wonderful twists and turns.

[​IMG]
    3. Se7en (1995)

This film messed with me in ways no other film has. Nothing is scarier to me than something that could actually happen in reality - like killer sharks or serial killers. I loved the mood and style of Se7en, and I was not prepared for the jaw dropping last act when I first saw it in theatres. A master class is suspense.

[​IMG]
    2. Evil Dead II (1987)

A splatter horror movie meets the Three Stooges. What's not to like? Sam Raimi's twisted cabin in the woods movie was a gateway drug for me to the horror genre. I remember seeing the skull faced VHS case in rental stores in my youth, and being too terrified to actually rent it. It can be scary, yes, but what really drew me in was Ash and the insane comedy. A “feel good” horror movie.

[​IMG]
    1. Cabin in the Woods (1995)

A playful, modern twist on the “teen in peril” horror genre. Luckily I knew nothing about the plot twists when I first saw it, which greatly added to my enjoyment. It manages to feel familiar, yet like nothing you've seen before – breaking out of the mold of expectation. Funny, scary, plus I love the “everything and the kitchen sink” last act.

Previous Anchor Bay Top Tens:
    2008: Maurice Devereaux (End of the Line)
    2009: Paul Solet (Grace)
    2010: Glenn McQuaid (I Sell the Dead)
    2011: Stephen Mena (Bereavement)
    2012: Jennifer Lynch (Chained) & Richard Bates Jr. (Excision)
    2013: Jesse Thomas Cook (Septic Man) & Danielle Harris (Among Friends)

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Awesome, rhett! Thanks for getting this. Never heard of Pontypool, but will add it to the list.

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Vanilla.

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Night Of The Living Dead is a Halloween night tradition at my house.

Been playing Evil Within which uses that piece by Bach "Air on G String". Reminded me of the library scene in Seven. Love that film!

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

True, but vanilla is good when done right. And when you try some exotic flavor and it turns out sucking, you wish you had some vanilla.

Pontypool just didn't work for me.

6. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

It's streaming on Netflix. An interesting take on the zombie genre; my GF and I both like it.

7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Rad. Thank you, Zilla4rilla.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Pontypool is a polarizing movie. I loved it, my wife on the other hand said it was the worst movie she ever saw. I like this list, though Rear Window isn't one of my favorite Hitch films. I've never been a Jimmy Stewart fan. I own all of the films on this list on blu-ray except Zombie. What the hell am I waiting for?

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thanks again for this post Rhett. I just ordered the Arrow blu-ray for Zombie for less than $20 shipped to the States!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  10. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I introduced my teenagers to Cabin in the Woods this week. I hadn't watched it in a while. Damn, it holds up well. A modern classic. I love Whedon but he is hit or miss. More hit though. His writing here is superb. Incredibly original film! I hope this takes it rightly place in modern horror. Some great homages to classic horror films! Even after knowing the twist, it is very re-watchable! I LOVE this film!!

11. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I don't get what people see in CITW.

I thought it was a big fat pile of meh....

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Great list - I love Cabin in the Woods

13. Carolwright

Carolwright New Member

Halloween activities include trick and treating going to halloween costume parties. It is amazingly useful as a good research about halloween . Filmstarlook No More Heroes Jacket