Lucifer

Discussion in 'General' started by X-human, Apr 30, 2017.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

And it's back Monday, May 1st, with the final arch of Season 2.

Looks like we'll only be getting five episodes to wrap up Season 2's main story (on 5/29), and then 'round next fall the remaining four episodes will be shown as kind of a mini-series:
    http://deadline.com/2017/03/lucifer...season-2-episodes-migrate-2017-18-1202050153/

I was lucky enough to catch this series from episode 1 because of pure happenstance and Season 1 was good enough for me to tag along, but Season 2's been really great. It seems like all the shows I watch now have all kinds of breaks and delays.

It's also a bit of a coincidence that I had just finished reading the Sandman issues that lead to Lucifer walking away from Hell. I know this series isn't really-really Neil Gaiman's Lucifer but still feeds into it a bit.

2. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

The major deviation from the source material (turning it into an eye candy casted police procedural) puts this show permanently on my no watch list. It's one of the more glaring of demographic chasing Hollywood suits source material buggerings in my recent memory.

The usual opinion I get from those who've bothered to watch it is "it's not bad". Given my huge backlog of unwatched stuff, and the quality of other current shows, that's not good enough.

At present Preacher remains the only Vertigo title I feel has received a decent screen translation. And even that is a guarded assessment, given the season was essentially a prequel to the comic. How they manage season 2 will decide if I stick with it.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

As a police procedural it's pretty bad. In fact once you learn the pattern you can guess which interviewee is the real murder just by which order they're shown. Honestly it rarely makes up half the plot of any given episode.

Now the trials and tribulations of a Mr. Morningstar? That part of the show is pretty damn good. But what keeps me watching is that it's damn funny too.

It's not really an adaptation of anything DC/Vertigo by any stretch of the imagination, despite what the credits may say. I'm sure it was sold more as Lucifer Meets Police Procedural and the producers were like, "We've got an IP for that!" Although the basic rules of the character are rather firm (he doesn't lie for example).