Lucio Fulci VS Dario Argento

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Dark Lord, Dec 12, 2001.

?

Argento or Fulci?

1. Dario Argento

70 vote(s)
    72.9%
  2. Lucio Fulci

26 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Guest

The question is simple, it has been debated quite often on this board. But now is the time to put your heart to it, witch of these euro director do you love the most and why? Well...let the flames begin!

2. Demon Tech

Demon Tech Guest

I like Argento better. No offense to Fulci, but I like films that stimulate my mind. To like Argento you have to have an IQ above 70. I call Argentos films intelligent horror. I like Fulci also. However Argento is three steps ahead.

3. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Guest

I'm on your side Demon Tech, I just love both of these directors, but my heart is on Argento's side. Suspiria, Bird with the crystal plumage, Deep Red, Tenebrae, Phenomena, Cat O Nine tails...just love them all....he's the GREATEST!...welll at least my favorite.

and one final thing: FULCI does LIVES!!!

4. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    honestly, i never appreciated the giallo genre.... until i've seen argento's work.

5. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Fulci Lives!

I like Fulci for the "through" your face approach. The gore level is outstanding. Gore is something that I always look for in a good horror movie. Atmosphere is important too as in Argento's movies and I love his style too. So my decison is for Fulci because I saw his work first. Gore 'til Death!

6. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Fulci. His work in multiple genres, not to mention that his giallos were just as good if not better than Argento's. Check out Don't Torture A Duckling and A Lizard In A Woman's Skin and you will agree with me.

Don't get me wrong, Argento is amazing and comparing the 2 isn't really fair, but since you made me pick, I pick Fulci.

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I'll second Jason's pick/opinions.

8. ctyankee

ctyankee Guest

I'll be glad to check out those titles. I won't vote in this poll because I've only seen one Fulci movie and that was The Beyond. I thought it had a few moments ... but it didn't impresss much - particularly the lousy effects and poor gore. So right now .. Fulci doesn't impress.

9. jmc

jmc Guest

Fulci. Argento is probably the better filmmaker, but I find Fulci's films more enjoyable and fun.

10. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

This is no contest. Dario Argento is clearly the superior filmmaker. Argento is an artist. Fulci is a journeyman who makes enjoyable films which usually fall far short of art.

11. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Well, God knows I love 'em both, but Argento's easily the better director. They've both made their fair share of masterpieces, but Fulci's made far more pieces of crap than Argento.

12. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

LOL!!!!!! How can anyone even seriously ask this question??? Argento is one of the finest directors in the world. No contest. Argento over the Fulci amatuer anytime! :)

13. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

yea, i chose Argento myself

14. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

I picked our Dario, because he is definitely the better director of the two and I probably like more of his films than Fulci's, BUT, "The Beyond" will always be a special film to me. It is a relentless movie in all aspects, and it has a raw power none of Argento's have. For Fulci's standards it's a beautiful film. I can imagine Argento has a secret thing for that movie too, not jealousy, but admiration.

15. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I've voted for Dario.

He's my favourite horror director - I love his cinematography, the style of his giallo movies....Deep Red is a masterpiece that seems new everytime I view it....

16. swamptours

swamptours Guest

I went with Argento. Something about his nightmare imagery really seems to affect me. I would hate to have his dreams or nightmares.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

It is a very tough decision, but I think I'd go with Fulci. They are both fantastic, but in the end Fulci's films remain my favorite. In my opinion, none of Argento's work equals THE BEYOND or DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING. Fulci can seem just like a journeyman, but there are some real subtext to THE BEYOND and DTAD that I think tends to get overlooked my most viewers. Argento has been consistently better, I'd argue, but overall the best of the bunch lie with Fulci.

18. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I'd have to go with Fulci, even though Argento is flashy and all... Fulci has a way of creating an atmosphere that is thick and ripe with terror. I don't always agree with him either, but when his stuff works, it works on every level.

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, this is a tricky one on an emotional level. Emotionally, I want to go for the little guy, the less critically acclaimed and hail some of his work as some of the greatest out there. I watched The Beyond tonight, and I swear, of all the DVD’s I own – this is the one that just gives me back more and more every single time I play it. It is a masterpiece in the very truest sense of the word.

But when I get to his later works, and even things like City of the Living Dead, I think Fulci I far off the top of his game. “Going through the motions” comes to mind. Don’t get me wrong, I own it and watch it occasionally – but there is enough wrong with it that I can’t help but think it’s a bit lazy.

Now – Argento is more stylish, sometimes even style over substance. Yet, the technical details of what he does is just incredible. He has films with flaws, but no matter what it is his work just has that little something extra that makes people like me (uneducated film watchers) start to appreciate the art form beyond severed heads and zombies. Hi films are just more solid.

So honestly, you simply cannot choose between the two. No horror collection is complete without both of these guys represented. I would not trade one for the other - ever! But, if you ask “who is better”, I have to go for Argento. This is no way disses the work of Fulci. I love it.

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Argento, I love the dream-like quality his films have. Fulci is great too, The Beyond is in my top 20, but Argento is just bad ass.

Also, having Goblin do his soundtracks doesn't hurt Argento either.:D